Eliminatorias a RUSIA 2018

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Gerlestat, Oct 5, 2015.

1. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You understand probabilities, don't you?

pepinointer repped this.
  2. Rombo di Tuono

Rombo di Tuono New Member

Dec 24, 2016
    At Your Mom's House
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I do but it seems you don't understand logic. How can only three teams have more probability to make it than not when four teams are guaranteed direct qualification?

4. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    #1154 Rickdog, Mar 24, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
    Those odds must be wrong or they use facts that aren't real facts but bias instead, because as long as any team has chances to get the tickets to the WC (even though they might be very low), they must have some sort of percentage to get there.

At present times, the only fact that stands, is that we don't have any team qualified
    to the WC yet, the same as we don't have any team eliminated yet.

A 100 % odds, implies that there is full certainty that it will or has already happened. And a 0 % odd, implies , that their is no chance at all that it will ever happen, and of course that whom holds those odds, is already eliminated.

(btw, this is about probabilities, and the basics in calculating them is to use facts as data, and never use any sort of bias or subjective info, as these invariably will affect those results).

5. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Bring back the Fafaco

6. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Peru still #5 right?

7. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It is fact. Basically there is no combination of results that leaves Brasil out and two other teams have very high chances, again just based on multiple combination of results. The only two mathematically eliminated are Bolivia and Venezuela.

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    NEVER SAY NEVER

Scenario with Brazil out
    :

round 14
    Brazil 0 - 1 Paraguay
    Bolivia 0 - 1 Argentina
    Peru 0 - 1 Uruguay
    Ecuador 0 - 0 Colombia
    Chile 1 - 0 Venezuela

round15
    Peru 1 - 0 Bolivia
    Chile 0 - 0 Paraguay
    Venezuela 0 - 1 Colombia
    Uruguay 0 - 0 Argentina
    Brazil 0 - 1 Ecuador

round 16
    Argentina 1 - 0 Venezuela
    Ecuador 1 - 0 Peru
    Paraguay 1 - 0 Uruguay
    Colombia 1 - 0 Brazil
    Bolivia 0 - 1 Chile

round 17
    Bolivia 1 - 0 Brazil
    Argentina 1 - 0 Peru
    Colombia 0 - 1 Paraguay
    Venezuela 0 - 0 Uruguay
    Chile 0 - 0 Ecuador

round 18
    Brazil 0 - 1 Chile
    Peru 0 - 1 Colombia
    Paraguay 1 - 0 Venezuela
    Uruguay 1 - 0 Bolivia
    Ecuador 1 - 0 Argentina

Final positions :
    1.- Argentina........32 pts. (qualified)
    2.- Uruguay..........31 pts. (qualified)
    3.- Ecuador..........31 pts. (qualified)
    4.- Chile...............31 pts. (qualified):cool:
    5.- Colombia........31 pts. (playoff :p)
    6.- Paraguay........31 pts. (out :cry:)
    7.- Brazil.............30 pts. (out :alien:)
    8.- Peru................18 pts. (out)
    9.- Bolivia.............10 pts. (out)
    10.- Venezuela......7 pts. (out)

;)

kromekote repped this.
  9. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    For me, yes. We may not have as much of an ability to grind out results but we're still better than Colombia and Ecuador.

10. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Why are you such a contrarian?

11. BMxJoga

BMxJoga Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Im Peruvian but in what world are we better than either of those teams? Playing nice and passing it is one thing, but getting results is how you measure how good a team really is. Ecuador doesn't necessarily impress me but I wouldn't say Peru is better because we finally won an away game after 12 years.

Colombia has too much quality to be ranked under Peru. Until Peru can win games like yesterday's consistently, which means being able to defend set pieces effectively, then we are adequately placed in the standings. We're playing better but finishing chances is a sign of a complete and mature team. For a team that defends as poorly as we do, you can't afford to miss the chances we do and expect to unseat teams like Ecuador and Colombia to get into qualification spots.

kromekote repped this.
  12. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    #1162 SiempreCrema, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    On form, we're better than both those teams. I've seen Colombia's last 4 games and they are absolutely dreadful.

Ecuador is a tough one but I'd rank us slightly above them as they have a very good advantage at home but overall they've not been great.

We may not be getting the results, but despite that we've still only lost 3 games since the Copa America. We've drawn a lot due to silly defensive mistakes, but if we're on that topic I can name you several mistakes at the back from Colombia as well. Its arguably even worse for them actually.

I'm not sure how much you've seen of those 2 teams, but just come out and appreciate that we're playing with the right mentality and seriousness. Dominating the matches and now actually scoring, something we lacked at the start of the qualifiers. Sure we miss chances, but many South American sides do and its not a problem that only we have.

Its easy to say Colombia are better than us because of historic reasons and just by looking at the table but Los Cafeteros have genuinely been shocking. You can give me all the stats you want but I've seen them play as well as us and we have been better. All this since the Copa America anyways.

Your argument about us not getting results instead of Colombia is also ridiculous. Since september we've gotten 8 points. Colombia with 11 but they've had an easier run of games and grinding out a result against Bolivia is something Peru could do. Especially when Colombia create only 2 chances that look like they were going in and won by a non existent penalty against a Bolivia team with 7 debutants.

All this said, I'm not optimistic for our game with Uruguay, but it takes something awful to be worse than what Colombia have been since september. We've not been that

13. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Also, I don't think its fair to judge Peru's ability to grind out results based off the last few games. We beat Ecuador playing ok but not as good since October, and no team could grind out Argentina or Brazil. If anything they should be the ones grinding out the results and to an extent, Argentina is doing that right now.

14. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    mathematically ? :cautious:

On Bolivia's favour :

In this case, not only points matter, but also goal diference, so here it goes :

round 14
    Brazil 3 - 0 Paraguay
    Bolivia 3 - 0 Argentina
    Peru 0 - 3 Uruguay
    Ecuador 3 - 0 Colombia
    Chile 0 - 3 Venezuela

round15
    Peru 0 - 3 Bolivia
    Chile 0 - 3 Paraguay
    Venezuela 3 - 0 Colombia
    Uruguay 3 - 0 Argentina
    Brazil 3 - 0 Ecuador

round 16
    Argentina 0 - 3 Venezuela
    Ecuador 2 - 0 Peru
    Paraguay 0 - 3 Uruguay
    Colombia 0 - 3 Brazil
    Bolivia 3 - 0 Chile

round 17
    Bolivia 3 - 0 Brazil
    Argentina 0 - 1 Peru
    Colombia 0 - 0 Paraguay
    Venezuela 3 - 0 Uruguay
    Chile 0 - 0 Ecuador

round 18
    Brazil 3 - 0 Chile
    Peru 1 - 0 Colombia
    Paraguay 0 - 3 Venezuela
    Uruguay 0 - 3 Bolivia
    Ecuador 1 - 0 Argentina

Final positions :
    1.- Brazil..............42 pts. (qualified)
    2.- Uruguay..........32 pts. (qualified)
    3.- Ecuador..........30 pts. (qualified)
    4.- Bolivia...........22 pts. GD -7 (qualified direct):cool:
    5.- Argentina........22 pts. GD -8 (playoff )
    6.- Colombia........22 pts. GD -9 (out :cry:)
    7.- Paraguay........22 pts. GD -11 (out :alien:)
    8.- Venezuela.......21 pts. (out)
    9.- Peru................21 pts. (out)
    10.- Chile.................21 pts. (out)

;)

15. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Again, mathematically ? :cautious:

On Venezuela's favour :

In this case, not only points matter, but also goal diference and goals scored, so here it is :

round 14
    Brazil 3 - 0 Paraguay
    Bolivia 0 - 0 Argentina
    Peru 0 - 2 Uruguay
    Ecuador 0 - 2 Colombia
    Chile 0 - 2 Venezuela

round15
    Peru 0 - 2 Bolivia
    Chile 0 - 3 Paraguay
    Venezuela 2 - 0 Colombia
    Uruguay 0 - 0 Argentina
    Brazil 6 - 0 Ecuador

round 16
    Argentina 0 - 1 Venezuela
    Ecuador 0 - 1 Peru
    Paraguay 0 - 1 Uruguay
    Colombia 0 - 1 Brazil
    Bolivia 2 - 0 Chile

round 17
    Bolivia 0 - 0 Brazil
    Argentina 3 - 0 Peru
    Colombia 2 - 0 Paraguay
    Venezuela 3 - 0 Uruguay
    Chile 0 - 0 Ecuador

round 18
    Brazil 2 - 0 Chile
    Peru 1 - 0 Colombia
    Paraguay 0 - 1 Venezuela
    Uruguay 0 - 0 Bolivia
    Ecuador 0 - 2 Argentina

Final positions :
    1.- Brazil..............43 pts. (qualified)
    2.- Uruguay..........31 pts. (qualified)
    3.- Argentina........30 pts. (qualified)
    4.- Colombia........27 pts. (qualified)
    5.- Venezuela.......21 pts. GF 25 GA 31 GD -6 (playoff ):whistling:
    6.- Ecuador..........21 pts. GF 23 GA 29 GD -6 (out :alien:)
    7.- Chile...............21 pts. GF 21 GA 27 GD -6 (out :alien:)
    8.- Peru...............21 pts. GF 22 GA 30 GD -8 (out :alien:)
    9.- Paraguay.......21 pts. GF 16 GA 25 GD -9 (out :alien:)
    10.- Bolivia...........16 pts. (out)

;)

16. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We did :whistling:
    Argentina at both final matches at Copa America and Copa Centenario
    Brazil, at the first match-date, during this same qualifier process (in fact, their only defeat till now).

Very good joke.:D

(not good enough for a rep)

17. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Technically in both copa finals you grinded out a draw...and won on pks ;)

celito repped this.
  18. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    We grinded a victory.

Technically, the battle (the match) was a draw, but we won the war (the tournament). At the end, which is what matters, we were the ones whom cellebrated, while the others cried.

19. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    #1169 condor11, Mar 25, 2017
    You misunderstood his point..he was referencing games where 3 points were the prize, and brought in two games from a different competition format

Correct me if I am wrong but that match goes down officially as a draw

Therefore if the 2015 final had been played in a qualifier you would have lost 2 points at home..

celito repped this.
  20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I am grateful to the colorful posters whose imagination brought me some chuckles this morning. Brazil eliminated from Russia 2018 in the current qualification tournament?

"Never say never?" I'll say never right now; Brazil will NEVER be in a position to fail to qualify for next year's World Cup. We had struggles early on, but as of now, it's IMPOSSIBLE that Brazil will not qualify.

PS: bad refereeing in Buenos Aires... my countrymen should've done better. Oh well.

SiempreCrema repped this.
  21. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Time for Peru to be kicked out of world cup contention by Uruguay for the 4th or 5th consecutive time.

SiempreCrema stop reading newspapers like Libero, please.

kromekote repped this.
  22. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    #1172 SiempreCrema, Mar 25, 2017
    I'm sorry?

23. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    officially goes as a win over a penalty kick definition.

And no, we wouldn´t have lost 2 points at home, as FIFA is very clear on that one : when a penalty kick definition takes place, it's 2 points for whom wins it, and only 1 point for whom loses it (in an official draw, it's only 1 point each).

For the case at that final match we won 2 points, while the other finalist only got 1 point, reasons why we were crowned as champions (and the other team, not).

24. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    well, you are making a statement more with your heart than on real facts.

My past posts were to prove that mathematically it was still possible for Brazil to not make the WC; the same thing as to disprove whom said that mathematically, both Bolivia and Venezuela were already eliminated, in this qualifier process. It was also meant to somehow prove wrong a probability chart, someone else posted before, which has many flaws in how data was used, in order to get the results it finally got.

We all know that most of those ficticious results I posted, really are not likely to happen, but in football you really never know with absolute certainty what can, or what can't happen. There will always be some few odd results that don't fit in no ones expectations, and if by any strange circumstance or oddity, they do happen, you like it or not, Brazil would be out of this WC.
    And this is a mathematical fact, not an opinion.

25. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Here's the guy who makes me laugh!

Um... no.

Theoretically, what you wrote is correct. But those with a working knowledge of CONMEBOL WCQ history would never even posit what you posted.

Since the "cada time vs. cada time" system was first implemented, Brazil has never failed to qualify if it achieved 30 points.

1998 and 2014 did not include Brazil as we were the reigning champions for the former and the hosts for the latter. Even when we struggled heading towards 2002, we finished with 30 points - 3rd place overall, only 1 point behind 2-place Ecuador and same as 4th place Paraguay.

For 2006 and 2010, we finished with 34 points.

Today, a few days before the 14th of 18 matches, Brazil has 30 points with 5 matches to go.

History and the current circumstances of both Brazil and other CONMEBOL competitors clearly indicate that it is literally and absolutely impossible for Brazil not to qualify. Your mathematical calculations are, as I wrote, correct - but they're farfetched and utterly unfeasible.

This last paragraph is again theoretically correct. And yet again, your mathematical facts will never pan out beyond theory and your calculator or Excel spreadsheets.

Now, as for "odd results," it's too bad Chile lost this past Thursday. Your team was the better performer during 90 minutes and I'm sure you would've loved to have won, not only because this is a highly competitive WCQ and those 3 points may well prove to be crucial at the end, but because you would've loved to extend your trash-talking habits against the Argentines, whom I know you Chileans have no love lost for.

I hope that your team doesn't see too many more "odd results" in the remainder of this tournament, because it would be rather sad if the reigning Copa América champion (two justly earned titles; I did particularly applaud your 2015 victory in part because some people here were very disrespectful towards your team) failed to reach the World Cup. It would not reflect well upon CONMEBOL.

So, going forward, let's both hope that the mathematical facts translate into real-world facts that favor your team (except for the final match, when we will face you on our ground). Realistic soccer fans will not follow "never say never" about Brazil's chances to reach Russia 2018 without the 5th playoff, but that can't be said as of right now about certain other squads.