eliminate jamaica!!

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by dmike, Oct 14, 2004.

1. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont want this team to be in the next round, they are spoilers and can cause way heavier damage than panama and ES. I hope Bruce takes them serious and makes sure we take a squad thats gonna knock em out. Panama is more awful than ES so I would kinda prefer to have ES sneak into WCQ since we finally won a game at their place. The way things are lining out is 1)usa 2)mexico 3)costa rica , we dont need a team like jamaica in that mix.

2. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    100% agree. We have the chance to do ourselves a HUGE favor here and there's no excuse for not getting it done.

3. ghazi

ghazi Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Chicago
    TRUTH! Preach on, brother.

4. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Team MP W D L GF GA Pts
    USA 5 3 2 0 12 2 11
    Jamaica 5 1 3 1 6 4 6
    Panama 5 1 2 2 5 11 5
    El Salvador 5 1 1 3 2 8 4

Here are the standings after last night's game. If Panama and El Salvador tie in the next game Jamica will still go through based on goal diff. Unless ofcourse the US can put 9 goals up on Jamaica. Doubtful. Panama or ES needs to win along with a US win to eliminate Jamaica. Hopefully they won't draw.

5. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Maybe I'm wrong but, I was told in one of the Big Soccer chat-rooms last night during the game that, this season, head to head comes into play before goal differential this season... meaning, if Panama ties Jamaica, then they'd move on.

That's at least what I was told when I brought up the goal differential.

6. eldiablito

eldiablito New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    in Sagy's shadow
    I would have sworn it was goal differential. Funny how neither Concacaf's site nor http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/releases/concacaf_preliminary_format_en.pdf

indicates either way.

Btw, I agree--get rid of Jamaica, of course I say that with all due RESPECT.

7. Mikeymike15

Mikeymike15 Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Atlanta
    Someone posted on another thread the Tie-Breakers from the CONCACAF web site and I believe its points earned in games against the two teams. But I agree, we should get Jamaica out now and not later. I'll see if I can find the thread.

8. DCFAN96

DCFAN96 Member

Apr 24, 2004
    Panama is more than capable of beating ES, so as long as we beat JAM at home were going to eliminate them. Yes we have a great opportunity to play some inexperienced or young players but I don't think we should write this game off by any means, if we can take out JAM from the hex that would be HUGE, I would much rather play Panama then JAM at the office.

9. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. GRUNT

GRUNT Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lake Oswego, OR
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this objectively, but my emotions are with Jamaica's fans. They're class in my book. I expect many who have been to USA-Jamaica matches here or in Kingston would agree.

11. TAKK

TAKK New Member

Jan 28, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    The Office isn't a fortress anymore for several reasons. Too much respect is being shown to this team.

1. The field there is now grass and it is smooth. A nice surface. It used to be half dust, extremely uneven and bumpy. Not good conditions for the US or any team trying to play soccer.

2. Weather. When most of their players were locals, with a few Euros mixed in all matches were played in the middle of the day - High Noon usually. Now that most of their key players play in England they can't afford to do this anymore either.

3. Organization. Most important thing about a qualifying campaign is organizing it. Never a Jamaican strongpoint. Take out that magical 4 years Simoes preached and we are back to the old JBoyzz infighting at HQ. Politics, uncertanties, accusations...the usual. Not helpfull.

4. Their fans are great. Not vicious and far from the field.

5. Their talent is always waaaaaayyyyyyy overrated on these boards. Yes, some good atletes and players with decent individual skills. Yes, they can be a spoiler (at this stage most can), but most of these players are average C'SHip and lower league players in England. You have Fuller who is excellent but other than that...c'mon, be realistic. Decent to good. that is it. No more.
    Don't say Euelle either. Speed, but erratic and sloppy. No.

Over the years these things have made it an easier place to play (not easy...easier, you can win with skill now with less of the outside stuff - field, weather). Maybe easier than Panama, which reminds me a lot of how Jamaica used to be actually.

Panama will beat El Sal at home. Anyone want to take me up on it please PM me. It's up to the US if you want the Boyzz out. Better overall than Panama, yes, but not as much as the clamoring lets on. We were better than them with the complete, super conservative Geritol crew. A little ambition and we have even more chances, an more of the ball.

BTW - Craig Ziadie starts in D for them. That is a joke. The fact that he is on their team and a field player on it is a joke.
    Not sure what all the respect is for. This isn't 98. Us or them.

12. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jamaica will be a serious contender to qualify for the World Cup if they advance. Getting rid of them would make the hex a lot easier. Getting rid of that away game in Jamaica would definitely be a good thing.

13. El Steve

El Steve Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey now, don't even rule out El Salvador.

If the Nats beat Jamaica, as long as there is a clear victor in the Panama - El Salvador game, then Jamaica will be eliminated.

With the draw against Jamaica, El Salvador has 4 points... so it goes 4 - 5 - 6... if El Salvador knocks Panama, they'll be up a point on Jamaica.

IF the Nats get a win, that is.

14. Sinter

Sinter New Member

Oct 12, 2003
    New York City, U.S.A
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yup let's get rid of jamaica... i'd much rather have two teams like panama or el salvador and T&T to face in the hex.

15. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    That's one way to look at it. The other is that USA has never lost to Jamaica, while CR/Hond/Guat (take your pick--2 of 3) as well as T&T might be liable to lose in Kingston.