ELIMINATÓRIAS, R7: Ecuador x Brasil, 9/1/16[R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by celito, Aug 29, 2016.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    So I re-watched the game and Paulinho did position himself intelligently and pressed the ball well. He did show up dangerously in the box a few times which is a good thing and probably what Tite is looking for. We will have to see how he keeps playing because to be honest, Ecuador looked pretty poor specially in the 2nd half.

But if you were looking a this game to criticize Casemiro, I think you fell flat on your face because he had a really good game. He stole a lot of balls cleanly and his passing was mostly good keeping it simple. He had a couple of bad passes and near dispossessions but overall he was spot on. Then again most of his passes were simple and again, Ecuador were poor. So we will have to see.

RA had more ups and downs but was solid as well. Marquinhos and Miranda were actually fantastic and so was Marcelo. D. Alves had a bad start but improved quite a bit.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Willian didn't have a bad game, he just wasn't utilized much during the game. I think it was a result of tactics and how the game developed. We know what he can do and I expect him to continue to play solid.

3. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Casemiro is the player that has had the most offers this past year than any other player in the world, Chelsea, ManCity, ManU all putting in huge bids, and each time RM with a No.
    This match demonstrates why.

4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Don't buy into and repeat that non sense about coaches.

Feola was an innovator and a hugely influential coach. Zagallo was not just a spectator in 1970.

Brazil has a rich history of good coaches. That they are few and far between today doesn't mean they always were.

Redshift repped this.
  5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Zagallo good ? Zagallo was terrible. If Parreira had good players Zagallo had Gods.

Parreira had a limited team in 94 and won the WC tactically, so he deserves credit as a capable coach. In 2006, with a superior roster, surprisingly he lost control of the team.

Redshift repped this.
  6. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    I didn't criticize Casemiro. I just believe what he does brings nothing to the table. There are too many great markers which could take his place.

And yes Paulinho always does that. But throughout a game that doesn't show, unless he scores a goal when he goes up and we all notice he's in the game. He's been doing that for a long time, and he's REALLY good at it.

7. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    He was our worse doesn't mean he was horrible... Just he was our worse. The team played very well, and remember what I said about Paulinho during the WC? L.Gustavo and Oscar were getting easy interceptions and steals because Paulinho herds players so well.

8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Yes I mean D. Costa and William... they are not even CLOSE to Paulinho's tactical positioning and play. Come on man.. D. Costa can drop back and play LWB? CB? CM? DM? AM? FW? none of those 2 can. Paulinho covers all the roles.

9. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why are we projecting the responsibilities and skillsets of a CM onto a winger?

10. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    #185 Guigs, Sep 3, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
    Because they keep saying that D. Costa and William are intelligent footballers who are able to grasp tactical nuances... ignoring they wouldn't be able to fill those tactical roles. Which is why Paulinho is a more valuable player in the team. D.Costa, William and Coutinho can fight for a position in an attacking role. They are not fighting for Paulinho's position.

So pretty much, catch you up to speed. Since during the WC I've said... sitting Paulinho due to pressure from fans is the worse thing the NT did. He wasn't having bad games, what he does on the field just doesn't show. It's not flashy, but it's REALLY effective.

Maybe during the 2011 and 2012 I watched too many Corinthians games. Especially because Vasco was contending with them in 2011 and we played them in the Libertadores in 2012.

and I HATED watching every time we pressed the ball went to his feet and puff.. pressure gone because he would simply touch back, reposition touch again, reposition touch again... while the Vasco players would give up the chase because of this little side touches.

At the same time... every lose ball, every counter attack, every time Eder Luis was trying to take the wing on a counter.. there he was.. not challenging, not stealing the ball.. but simply staying in front of our fastest player, running down the pitch with him as the whole defensive side returned to their position... Herding him to the corner... Herding him into Ralf (who was Corinthians destroyer) who then would simply take the ball away as a player ran into him.

People don't notice that, it is hard to notice... Tite does, which is why i'm glad he's in and Paulinho is back right away. That's what he's good at

11. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just because a winger can't do what a CM can doesn't make him not intelligent or tactically aware though, that's where the confusion is for me.

celito and JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  12. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Well... he was replying to a post I made about the importance of having a tactical player like Paulinho in the game. Saying these other players are also tactical. I simply said.. yes.. but at the wrong position, they can't fill his role.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Right, just like when Paulinho left Corinthians, Ralf didn't still lead the league in stolen balls. Sorry, not everything is as a result of Paulinho.

MerlinRM and JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  14. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Theory: Guigs is Paulinho's agent. :D:p

MerlinRM and Kaka10725 repped this.
  15. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    May be paulinho has a strong invisible shield around him which prevents the player or the ball from advancing when they r near him, that explains paulinho not having to do anything except stand in front of opposition player.

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Saying they can't fill his role is much different than saying they are tactically inept which is actually what you were saying. Willian is a player who provides midfield and wing play on offense and comes back to help the defense. He has been our best player on multiple occasions over the past couple of years. You can't say he tactically inept nor versatile.

17. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    But he can't fill many roles, that is part of being inept tactically. Look if you have a player that can fill 5 roles vs one that can fill 3 roles, which one gives you more tactical options?

Why are those separate? more tactical options = more tactical player. especially if said player is really disciplined

18. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Standing in front and allowing your defense to get back in position isn't important? I believe is better than committing to a tackle that if you get beaten you just allowed a goal scoring opportunity to happen.

You don't need the best tackler to steal a ball, if you have numbers the chances are you'll be more successful defending and getting that interception or that stolen ball.

Dude... RALF looked great with Paulinho around.

19. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    pretty sure it was

Williams in 2013 and 2014.

Ralf was not even on the top 20 in 2013 and 2014 even lower. Yes Ralf has not been the same player since Paulinho left. Slowly he lost the fans' confidence and his position.

20. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lucky us that we have the best kept secret in football and now we have the NT coach to unlock his potential. Now if we only can get him to bench Alves for Fagner....

21. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Careca, zico, cafu, roberto carlos, pele, ronaldo are nothing. paulinho is god gift to brazilian soccer. Paulinho got us the confed cup, his attempt at wc was stopped by scolari, now he is all set to get us the wc under the visionary tite

22. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What the hell are you trying to say man?

23. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    wait a second, he's not a kept secret. Out National Team has always played really well with him on the pitch. And if I remember correctly has a great defense when he's there. He was removed much of the same way Marcelo and T. Silva were removed. Due to pressure from fans. It didn't have anything to do with on the pitch productivity.

It was the World Cup.. what did people expect? a walk in the park? Just see what happened in the Olympics during our first two games. 2 parked defenses and we couldn't score... even though we produced more shots than any other team during the first 2 games (remember Brazil in the World Cup produced more shots than any other team in the World Cup too)

Neymar's name being crossed from shirts, Dinamarca vs Nao Marca... we were ready to jump on them... They get the results and now we proclaim how good they were. They were good the first two games also, the ball just didn't go in.

No I don't look at results and point at them to prove my points. Monday morning quaterbacking is the easiest thing to do. And it's intellectually lazy.... I prefer watching and paying attention to things that are good or bad and go with it. In sports the right decision might not produce the right result every time. If it did... we wouldn't have to play the games.

Paulinho, T.Silva, Marcelo, Fred and D. Alves being removed were all bad decision. All of them should have been kept in the games and allowed to play the tournament. And after the tournament was over all of them should have been kept in order to slowly transition into the new up and coming talent.

Do I like Gabriel Jesus? sure... but he's got tons to learn still, and he would have been very well served by having a player like Fred ahead of him, talking to him about positioning and striking.

24. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    That Casemiro was our worst player on the pitch. I mean it's exactly what i said there

25. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    You're right... our national team should be

Allisson
    D. Alves
    Miranda
    Marquinhos
    Marcelo
    D. Costa
    Coutinho
    William
    Neymar
    Gabi Gol
    Gabi Jesus

Cause that team would give us the most entertaining football since 1982!!!

They would never get scored on because teams would be so afraid of attacking they would just put 5 CBs 4 DMs just to stop them! Also who cares if they did get scored on!? They would probably score 5 goals a game anyways!!!!