ELIMINATÓRIAS, R7: Ecuador x Brasil, 9/1/16[R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by celito, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Once again...

Ask for a tactically sound team, but without having a tactically sound player. Yes that's what he does, not flashy that's for sure. But If you want Coutinho, William, Douglas Costa or another player which won't add anything tactically to the team, don't ask for a tactically sound team.

2. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I hope you don't mean Willian and Douglas Costa because they are very intelligent footballers and are able to grasp various tactical nuances and roles. You're bending over backwards to convince yourself Paulinho is worth a spot on the national team.

MerlinRM and Mengão86 repped this.
  3. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I think more than paulinho , having 3 players in the mid field that made the diff. I am sure if Luis gustavo was available it would not have made a whole lot of diff on attack. If we send our lb and rb up there needs to be cover and the packed mid field does help,which is what mircale and tite have used very successfully.

Btw despite our 5th place standing we have most goals for & most goal diff.

4. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'll just leave this here. You say Jesus was a failed call up and terrible now you think it was a great choice ? Lol

5. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Double post again for affect , since he's had 2 revisionist posts he can get 2 plates of the crow. This dudes a dodo

IVO ! repped this.
  6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You mean the one that drew the PK ? That wasn't a great pass, it was great effort from Gabriel plus the defender hesitating for a second.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I couldn't watch the game, so I ask those who watched: how would you compare the team's overall performance (cohesion, teamwork, etc) with what we saw in the knockout stages of the Olympics?

Those of you who read Brazilian news will see that today, many Brazilian sports writers & bloggers are making the same point: Brazil's problem between the 2014 World Cup & Dunga's firing wasn't a lack of players, but the absence of a coach. Nilson César, the famous Jovem Pan anchorman, kept saying yesterday "como é bom ter um treinador de verdade!"

The same analysts stated that Brazil yesterday played a modern brand of football - which we saw the Olympic team do - and that the team can and will get better.

I'm excited for the future. As most of us wrote right after Brazil became the Olympic champion, this is a new start, a new birth. Colombia will be a serious challenge, but we'll be at home and I am confident for the Manaus match.

old_carioca_in_nyc repped this.
  8. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I was wondering if you were able to watch it with the odd start time. The story for me was tite. I really liked the movement and I have to give credit to the volantes Paulinho and Casemiro, they were physical and played better in the 2nd half. Thanks to them Alves and Marcelo started being more involved and it just felt like a matter of time after the first 5 minutes of the 2nd half. We are used to the team dying after halftime not coming out rejuvenated. We also saw more of Neymar in the middle of the pitch like the Olympics which helped the team.

Century's Best repped this.
  9. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I thought tite starting Gabriel Jesus was premature but it was good decision. He was decisive and combined well with Neymar at times.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Lawson, be the "tiebreaker" here. Some posters (Guigs) wrote that Paulinho helped the team whereas others (Celito) said that Paulinho wasn't all that great (but not bad) yesterday. As Tite managed Paulinho at Corinthians, I'm not surprised he "repatriated" him to the national team. Compared to the midfield in the final Dunga matches, was Paulinho's return a tactically sound maneuver?

11. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    It is really refreshing to see a real coach for Brasil!

What was the last time we had a good true coach? Almost never!

1958-1962 Feola - no coach! We had the players...
    1970- Players?
    etc etc etc...

Possibly the only really good coaches were Tele Santana and Mario Zagallo?

Parreira and Felipão had good players...

Disasters: all others, especially Mano Menezes and Dunga!

12. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Paulinho was an improvement over Elias based on yesterday's performance.

13. roryy

roryy Member

Aug 3, 2016
    Club:
    Sao Paulo FC
    To be honest Brazilian team wasn't a big deal until the sent off of the Ecuatorian player. A pity Willian was so below of his potential but it's understandable since he's one with the lesser preparation time with the nt there. Paulinho on the first 11 with an weak performance, hopefully he improves since Tite trusts so much in him. And I would like to see Coutinho getting more chances. But in a whole not bad for Brazil. To win of Ecuator that's coming so well as leader of the eliminatories is a good result. Gabriel Jesus, differently from the Olympics, worked very fine as the referential man of attack and by times exchanging positions with Neymar. Anyway glad to see Tite's scheme is not only up to Neymar as Dunga used to do.

14. StrokingMonkeys

Oct 4, 2009
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    hehehehe!!! Let's move the bar higher shall we. ;)
    Anyone would beat Elias.

But seriously, if we can get back the Paulinho of the ConfedCup or rather the one before the England move, I'd be jumping for joy!

But please Paulinho, get out of China. Just because it didn't work out with the EPL it doesn't mean you will suck in other proper leagues too. You DON'T want to be a Thiago Neves... It WILL catch up to you at some point.

omajac repped this.
  15. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought it was sound because we saw what we use to see at corinthians, him pressing and than making smart deliberative runs to the box. He played a lot deeper than I'm accustomed to seeing him and I thought he did pretty good. There was one counter attack in the first half where Brazil was pressing Ecuador and Paulinho won the initial ball made a pass than got into the box for a chance very quick. Neymars chip pass was just a little off or he may have been in.

16. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    harsh... Gol came before the red card and came from similiar play that was leading to chances all match. From the 30th minute on Brazil got the better. Idk if you were expecting to play Ecuador off the pitch or what but Brazil really grabbed control of the match and got better as the match developed.

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not true. Brazil came out better straight from the half time break. Ecuador came out pretty flat which made me think they were playing possum.

18. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I see RA getting a lot of praise in the media but I didn't find him to be good. He was visibly gassed in the second half, not to mention in pain, and should have been subbed off IMO.

I'll be interested to see how Tite incorporates Douglas Costa in the side when he's healthy and fit. If Willian continues to play like he did last night, he'll be on the bench.

JoãozinhoFutebol repped this.
  19. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Casemiro with 90% passing, most stolen balls, no fouls or yellow cards....horrible.:whistling:

20. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    RA deserves an avatar from you ;). Media praise (not the first time) and the commentator I was watching was raving about his performance.

21. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Actually we are no longer the leaders of the Eliminatorias.. We are now in fourth place with 13 points.. If we don't beat Peru in Lima, our chances of qualifying are very slim.. And our DT Gustavo Quinteros is an idiot, who keeps calling up players who aren't even on the bench in their clubs.. Our DT never calls up young players who are in great form..

22. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #172 Redshift, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Care to reconsider this in light of new evidence?

I'm just giving you a hard time, of course. There were moments that led me to question him in the Olympics as well. But there were also moments that left me incredibly hopeful we'd have a real striker again. I'm glad Tite took the gamble.

In this game, Jesus had a role in all three goals, each of which was notable in its own distinct way:

1. The penalty came from lungs, raça, and believing in a ball that no one else did. He created that opportunity really from nothing. And it's even more impressive given Quito's altitude.

2. The second goal -- a brilliant first touch with the side of his foot -- showed that he knows how to improvise and seize opportunities. No one was expecting that finish. And then the ball was already in the back of the net.

3. The third goal demonstrated vision, technical ability, and the same quick improvisation and creativity. Before receiving the ball, he looks up for a split second, and sees Paulinho approaching. He then receives the ball, and in turning, feints that he might lay the ball off to Paulinho before actually placing a confident shot into the far corner from outside the grande area.

That's not even to mention his other very good plays during the game as well, such as his backheel to Neymar setting up Renato Augusto on goal.

Remember -- this is a 19 year old kid, on his estreia for the seleção principal, wearing the fabled number 9, in a must-win away game against Ecuador (who we haven't beaten in Quito for more than three decades). Rather than being intimidated, he grabbed the spotlight. By any objective measure, he was tremendous. He's hereby pardoned for playing for Palmeiras--and he has my full attention. I hope he lives up to the sky-high expectations he's created for himself.

23. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    Thank you very much for your pardoning the moleque playing for Palmeiras! Tell that to Celito!
    Seriously, the third goal was a masterpiece, it reminded me of the great names from Brasil: Jairzinho,
    Ronaldo Fenomeno, Ronaldinho Gaucho, Romario.
    Gabigol is also a very talented kid.

Redshift repped this.
  24. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Well actually I feel like burying my head under the sandy beaches of Ipanema after that one, but Tite is way ahead of me, haha. A pleasant surprise, actually quite Phenominal - f*ck I'm now a fan of GJ!!! Let's hope he keeps it up.
    My GOD what a difference this team with Tite commanding! I love it- second half that is. Neymar MOM. I see Neymar's role more as a server as in the Olympics, please please don't drift off to the left, this is not Barca- Neymar go to the f*cking middle!

Redshift repped this.
  25. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I expected to see you disappear into the sunset after winning the Olympics, but we are lucky enough to have you around for a round of the Eliminatorias? I won't push my luck, but maybe we will see you drop in for more ;)

Redshift repped this.