Pre-match: ELIMINATÓRIAS, R13: Uruguai x Brasil , 03/23/17[R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Different story.

They were on a roll from early 2000; much of their 2002 WCQ campaign was taken from a base that Passarella had taken to France '98. Marcelo Bielsa simply improved on that, removing a few players and adding others. They peaked in 2001, and committed grave errors come 2002.

We're on the upswing now. We went through very tough times after 2014, even though Dunga led us to many consecutive (friendly) victories. This team has not yet peaked, and the fact we will not play the Confederations Cup is a good thing - we'll be away from the FIFA spotlight this summer, and after the home match vs. Paraguay this coming Tuesday, we won't play a WCQ until August. We do play Argentina in Australia in June - a glorified friendly.

Tite is still working on improving this team. Gabriel Jesus was out. We're still likely to see certain players removed and others brought in, with good results quite likely.

None of this means that we're guaranteed winners in 2018 - but it does mean that we're finally, at long last, on the right track. The Olympic gold medal was the rebirth we needed. We're capitalizing on it now.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They also fell in the group of death with England and Sweden. England back then, while not brilliant were solid defensively and a PK basically decided the Argentina x England game. I think Argentina were still good in 2002 and could have gotten it going if they got out of that group.

3. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    All I can say is wow!
    Never expected it.
    I'm like you guys in shock with Paulinho.
    How can Firmino miss that goal in the beginning.
    Concerned on the high in the box balls.
    Was disappointed with Marcelo especially since I love his play.
    No subs until last 5 minutes - unreal.
    All in all just phenomenal !
    In the Centenario - only our 4th win there in a hundred years.

4. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    We qualify if we win and Ecuador and Chile loses.

5. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Chile isn't losing, so....

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Neither is Ecuador I feel.

7. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wasn't surprised with Firmino and he had Batman(Coutinho)...WITH him up front!!:rolleyes:
    Though I do prefer Marcelo over F. Luis, I felt Luis would've been better in this game, but it doesn't matter now!!

And if there was another 30 mins I think Paulinho would've scored 6 and we would've won 7-1!!! OK...Very Bad Joke!!!:sneaky:

8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Paulinho is already rubbing it in for me.

9. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know what I love more, goleando Uruguay in the Centenario, or Neymar's golaco.
    Neymar is really turning into a Balon D'Or candidate.

10. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Mariano from Sevilla is called up to replace D. Alves!! Shows how much faith Tite has in Fagner!!:whistling:

11. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I don't know what I love more, massacring Uruguay in the Centenario, or Neymar's golaco.
    And Neymar is turning into a serious Balon D'Or candidate. He was exceptional.

12. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I mentioned this in the general selecao thread. Surely that means Mariano plays right? Argentina called up Alario instead of Icardi for Higuain. Bauza had the excuse ready that he was closer a week or 2 ago.

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes, I'm quite sure Mariano starts on Tuesday vs Paraguay!! Though I'm not a fan of Fagner, I didn't care for calling up Mariano!! Use the players that you have!!

14. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    It's has been speculated that Messi and Mascherano don't want Icardi called if true I can't blame Bauza.