Post-match: ELIMINATÓRIAS, R1: Chile x Brasil, 8/10/15 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Mengão86, Oct 7, 2015.

?

Result?

Poll closed Oct 8, 2015.
  1. Win

100.0%
  2. Draw

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Loss

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Remember after the Paraguay game how pissed we were at the wasted chances on the counter ? Oscar was worse than firmino was and there were more oppurtunities to counter tonight, just disappointing when a Brazil team can't convert on its best trait

2. JoãozinhoFutebol

Feb 16, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Germany, Spain, France, Argentina. It's not like they're far ahead you could make a case our national pool is better than their's. These 5 are in the upper echelon.

MerlinRM repped this.
  3. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    If this is considered the worst generation and we are arguably 3rd, 4th and at worst 5th in player for player talent and the gap is marginal then that isn't too bad IMO. I brought up the question cause I feel the we are too harsh on the current talent. This isn't even close to the worst I seen of Brazil.

MerlinRM and Emperor Adriano repped this.
  4. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This may not be up to our previous standards of talent but we could do very well with this group under the correct manager. Dunga just isn't it.

5. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Brazil wasn't brilliant tonight, but they did give Chile work. Chile realized that we weren't as dangerous as they might have assumed and went for the kill. I don't see why RO and other players weren't brought in earlier.

Still, I don't think it's the time to despair. We lost tonight, and losing is never good, but losing to Chile - this Chile - is no shame, not at their stadium anyway.

On happier news, Argentina lost its 3rd ever home WCQ game. Anyone notice that it's been 3 teams who wear yellow jerseys?

6. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hi, sorry to hear you guys lost. How was Douglas Costa? I'm getting somewhat conflicting reviews with @lawsonishere saying he respected Costa more after that performance, while @MerlinRM seems disappointed in his contribution, calling him a system player. I'd be curious to hear the reasoning on how Bayern's system made him, though.

7. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    He earned my respect , hopefully he can play on the right when Neymar gets back. He scrapped and got back on defense and was agressive when he needed to be and showed no fear taking guys 1 on 1, if Chile had 2 guys for him he was patient and passed it out. He gambled on some dribbles that didn't pay off around the half way line but I wasn't bothered by that, especially when the team didn't have Neymar. His crossing was meh but mostly due to some pretty good defense. He won some corners which was nice because there was an overall lack of set pieces. For me it probably wasn't a good game by him but he always looked dangerous and I saw the talent/confidence. He's a different guy from 2 years ago, I never thought i'd want him in the 11.

8. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The halftime show on Rede Globo showed that Brazil's left-back ran to the center, and Chile took advantage of a corridor on the right (the Chilean attacking right). Hopefully Dunga will take note of that and address this issue for the next games.

I know that this was a bad result for us, but we did defeat this same Chilean team 1-0 this year. There is no value in wondering what would have happened if Firmino and/or Neymar had been available, but however much we need to improve, we were not at full strength.

Venezuela lost to Paraguay on a defensive mistake - they will have to go for blood as they lost their first game as well. That should help us as we'll be at home. If we salvage 3 points in a few days' time, it'll put us in a firmer position going into November against Argentina, who lost tonight, as I stated earlier.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's the 2nd game in WCQ, I doubt Venezuela will go for blood in Brazil. They will park the bus as they usually do.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Good point... but after losing a point from a near-certain draw, losing that way to Paraguay hurts them. If they seek to draw us, 1 point in 2 games is not really the way to start the tournament.

11. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Costa was ok IMO but I agree wil @lawsonishere, he a much improved player. His demeanor and confidence level is different.

Also, the sample size is too small to determine if he is a system player or not IMO. Since he moved to Bayern, he played 3 games for Brazil, 2 friendlies and an official and his performance were great vs Costa Rica , good vs USA and okay vs Chile IMO

12. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    The left was open at the start of the game until Brazil got comfortable and played better.

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I felt he was isolated on the left side. He at least tried to take on players. There were several times in the first half where he had the ball and had to go at two defenders because no one was close by to support. In the second half, he had a nice play and whipped in a cross, but Hulk wasn't in position because he lacks the natural CF instincts. Maybe RO would have done something with it.

14. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    At the moment, teams simply do not respect us as much as they once have. That was evident by how Chile were playing us in the latter stages of the first half and start of the second. Sampaoli didn't bother to make any adjustments. He gambled on giving us the counter and it paid off. We are going to have to earn back some respect during this WCQ.

15. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We also have a craque of our own in Neymar. We just don't have 2 more like we usually do up front.

Also, we just entered year 2 of the cycle. There is still plenty of time to get other players involved. Surely some players will have opportunities who are involved in the Olympic setup. We have some good young talent coming up. There's maybe a craque in there, but there are certainly players who can turn out to be very good.

16. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    About coaches, the only other option is Tite, who plays a similar style of game, but he reads the game better than Dunga IMO and is much more detail oriented.

I'd absolutely love to see us play like a Dorival Jr team. I'm not saying Dorival should be our coach; I realize he needs to accomplish more as a coach and establish himself. That's probably going to take a cycle or two to do, realistically. Eduardo Baptista is a young coach who is very intriguing. He did a very good job with Sport. Now, at Fluminense, they are showing signs of life, although Dorival gave him a lesson recently. He's a coach that won't be ready until 2-3 cycles.

For the immediate future, outside of Tite, the only other possible name is Cuca. I'm still not comfortable with the idea of his man management translating over to the NT and him knowing how to react in pressure situations. Now that he's in China, I can't analyze his work.

17. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Great analysis, Tim :rolleyes: Way to contradict yourself. We had possession (52 to their 48) in the first half, but we didn't do much with it. We resorted to some long shots or set pieces, which I can't begin to fathom how Dunga decides on the taker. Oscar and Hulk? Really?

In the second half, Sampaoli took a CB off for a midfielder so his team could regain the share of possession that he desired. It had nothing to do with counters. If anything, it opened up opportunities for counters, running at their back line that was now without an extra man. We frustrated Chile by winning the ball back and hitting on several counters. Chile started whining to the refs. After those wasted counters, you could tell the team felt disappointed in failing to break through. Mainly those failures were due to Oscar and Dunga. That's when Chile went for the game, and Sampaoli's substitution began paying off. They maintained possession and got the ball in dangerous areas. They had the second post shot, which wasn't as dangerous as you'd think, and the ball across the face of goal that Sanchez almost latched onto. Dunga still didn't react to this.

Emperor Adriano repped this.
  18. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I know it was hurtful to watch that performance the 2nd goal in a way you can blame Miranda one that one, but we really need Thiago Silva in that backline again, and If it wasn't for the red jerseys I would've thought we were playing Uruguay(cause of the hatchet man style) I think this slap in the face will wake us up, cause for some strange reason when we stuggle during WCQ's we have a very good WC!! And as much as I hate this formation I think vs Venezuela we should go to a 4-4-2 with 2 target men up front!! And I know I will catch heat for the selection and I know that our striker pool isn't that great now, but sometimes you gotta fake it til you make it!! And we will bounce back vs Venezuela on Tuesday!! We will qualify, but Dunga will not finish as our coach!!

--------------------------------------------Jefferson--------------------------------------------------------------

D.Alves---------------Marquinhos-------------------------Miranda------------------------------Marcelo

Willian--------------------------Fernandinho-------------L.Gustavo-----------------------------L.Lima

---------------------------------------R.Oliveira---------D.Costa------------------------------

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Dunga out after 1 game seems harsh but he isn't a rookie anymore to make the same early mistakes he made his first time around. Anything less than 3 points versus Venezuela, and I would firmly be behind the CBF in pulling the trigger.

20. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No even if we draw Dunga will still be coach but if we...GULP...lose(Jeeze if we lose our 1st WCQ at home please don't let it be to Venezuela on Tuesday) Dunga will be at the unemployment line with B. Rodgers, but the game vs Venezuela we will have pressure on us and despite the fact we may not be the Brazil of old, our fans haven't read the memo yet and if we don't score vs the Vinotintos early the whistles and the burro chants for Dunga will be heard loudly!

21. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Next time, pick against us.

Signed,
    The BigSoccer Brazil community

22. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    [​IMG]

I'll do my best to keep my classmates happy!!!:D

23. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I'd say he didn't get a chance to show what he can do. The ball didn't get to him in good situations.

24. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    That's all true, and Tite was a logical choice to replace Scolari in 2014. On achievement alone, there was no other club manager in Brazil more qualified to take the job. But after being ignored by CBF, it would probably take a lot to get Tite to take over the national team. If anything, I would envision it being something similar to what we endured in 2000-2001, with Luxa being replaced by Leao and ultimately by Scolari.

It would be far better for Dunga to recover from last night and for the team to start winning as it develops into a cohesive unit. Repeated bad results leading to Dunga's firing would make raise the pressure for Tite all that much higher.

Having said all this, I am against a manager change for now. Dunga earned poltiical capital by winning several games after he returned, and he only lost his second - both of them were competitive matches, unfortunately. But the "fire the coach, it's his fault" mentality we see in the Campeonato Brasileiro must not be brought to the national team. It fractures work continuity. Heck, Mano Menezes' team was finally beginning to gel in late 2012, when he was then fired. As much as I liked Scolari and appreciated 2013's results, we all know how that ended.

25. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Tite would answer the call after winning the Brasileirao and having another shot at the Libertadores. The problem is that it took 2.5 years for Dunga to get it right last time around so he may get quite a bit of patience from CBF. Unless things go really bad in the next few WCQ games.