ELIMINATÓRIAS- General Thread

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Emperor Adriano, Oct 7, 2015.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Have not seen it. They just wasted a golden opportunity.

2. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I saw it as well. Looks like Argentina is still struggling.

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Argentina are absolute shit right now. With these players they are not going far. Messi should have stayed retired. He can't carry teams the way he used to (although he is still clutch as fuk) and his teammates look worthless with the NT.

4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I couldn't find a Portuguese- or Spanish-language link on Youtube, so I am watching the game with commentary in an eastern European language. They're very disjointed. And I accessed a local Argentine radio - the locutor has no mercy. He's calling them a "bochorno." (I'm guessing this roughly translates as "palhaçada.")

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    This ref is terrible.

6. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think they were better in the first half from the comments I am hearing. But this is a broken team. Disjointed and slow.

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Sandro Ricci... juiz brasileiro.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Our good refs are never selected for international competitions. Ricci is a joke.

9. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Argentina look like SPFC did when Bauza was command -- stumbling into results with unconvincing football.

10. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's incredible how they just can't or won't rebuild. Messi is getting older, but he's still superbly talented. Yet past the midpoint of this qualifying tournament, they are yet to clean house. Not even Maradona was this clueless. I'm at the point of pitying them.

afar repped this.
  11. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I beg to differ. SPFC was better than this Argentina. But as a SPFC fan, I'm biased.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They need some young blood badly .

13. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They have some, but they do a poor job of transitioning them to the senior team. Bauza isn't the right coach for them. Stylistically, he's not a fit.

14. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    All the more ironic given it's them. They had a mini-golden age not too long ago, winning several U-20 World Cups. They were an impressive celeiro of young talent, and those kids made it to their senior NT.

The World Cup is about 500 days away, and while it's not impossible to build a team in that time, it's hard. Scolari did it for us from 2001 to 2002, but few believed he'd win it all. And Scolari had Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldo Assis, Cafu, and Roberto Carlos to work with. Bauza has Messi and other key talents, but as was said by Celito, they need young blood for their team. I'm not sure they've got enough time.

15. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Los Hermanos should qualify.

16. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    They need a better coach. Look at us. It's night and day between Dunga and Tite.

17. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    But it feels like Argentina's getting a different coach almost every year and none of them are able to get these guys to play good attacking football like they should.

18. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Dont forget that Argentina downfall came when they chickened out of Copa'01!! And even though we didn't win it, but it allowed Scolari to use to 3-5-2, a formation that we won WC'02 with!! And experiment with different players!!

19. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    They need a better coah
    They never hired the best Argentina manager though. I can't help but think Simeone is the man that can get the best out of these players or at the very least have the balls to pick the best team and not the best 11. How does Aguero continue to get pick when he has proven to be awful in the Argentina jersey.

20. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    They should get Tite, instead.......
    :p

21. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Simeone, Sampaoli, Bielsa, Pochettino are just some of the top coaches the Argentinians have produced that I can name off the top of my head.

They have a wealth of managers and until recently world-class or close to world class players compared to us. But corruption is a bitch that has rotted AFA. We were very lucky to achieve what we did despite the rampant corruption in CBF but there can come a time where its just too much. Tata wasn't even getting his salary at the end for Christ's sake and there were rumors that the Argentine players were actually paying for themselves( hotel, food, etc) last summer. What sane manager would take that job?

My guess is that they'll qualify and get tossed at the R16.

celito repped this.
  22. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    It's incredible how Brazil and Argentina, two very different countries (if you look at their histories and the immigration, the development of their governments, etc) are also so strikingly similar when it comes to typical Third World roubalheira, corruption, and unaccountability, and how all of this as you said exists in both CBF and AFA. I think that it goes to show how bad it's on their side that their federation is even more messed up than ours.

Juca Kfouri wrote a short and succint editorial yesterday in which he stated that CBF does not deserve the national team. He mentioned that just as Brazil destroyed Uruguay 4-1 in Montevideo, CBF voted to rearrange voting power so that minuscule state federations have more voting power over gigantic and traditional clubs like Flamengo. It's sad.

As for the Argentines, well, I wonder why they don't learn. They witnessed our near-implosion going into 2002, and that's when it was them who were on top of the world. But Bielsa would never go back; he was the manager on the run-up to 2002 and only the 2004 Olympic gold medal saved his legacy. Pochettino is still inexperienced. Sampaoli would've been a good choice, but I guess Sevilla's euros were too much. Simeone? That's the guy they needed; he would've cleaned house and set thing straight. I remember some of them were saying they needed him even when Maradona was in charge - they likened Simeone to Dunga, who was tearing it up for us going into 2010.

You mention who would take the job. I speculate that guys like Sampaoli and Simeone, after working in professional European clubs, will have little patience for South American unprofessionalism. CBF is problematic, but CBF isn't going to delay salary payments to its employees. And Tite knew exactly what he was getting into - this was his chance; he prepared for the job, and was surprisingly ignored in 2014. What we're seeing now is what we would've seen had he taken over immediately after the last World Cup. Better late than never, I suppose.

23. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Rumors that Messi has been suspended because of an exchange with the ref or linesman. Penalty is between 2-4 games.

24. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've seen the video, it's pretty obvious. Probably should have been red carded during the game. But the ref would have been nuts to red card as he'd have serious trouble leaving the stadium unharmed.

I can see him getting 2 games. 3-4 probably won't happen and 1 is not out of the question given CONMEBOL's corruption.

25. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    That's very bad news for their opponents, as without Messi, Argentina plays better