Eligibility question

Discussion in 'US Open Cup' started by JBG - Bribe Taker, Aug 3, 2007.

1. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now that the end of the PDL and USLD2 seasons are approaching and some of their players are getting signed by USLD1 teams, what's the ruling if they already played for a different team in an earlier round? Are they "cup tied"?

Specifically, the Battery just signed Bucks striker Kenny Uzoigwe and he's supposed to join us on Monday, the day before we take on Dallas. He played for the Bucks back in round 1 against Richmond. Can he play for us against Dallas?

2. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uzoigwe would be cup tied. He would not be able to play for you.

Is he going to stick around to play with the Bucks in the semifinals and possibly the final???

3. JBG - Bribe Taker

Mar 17, 2000
    Mt. Pleasant, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I apologize, I misread either the Bucks or the Batts press release...he is NOT showing up in Charleston on Monday. The Bucks press release clearly states he will be with them till their season concludes, whenever that is. I don't know what the hell I was reading/thinking. But....since we plan on defeating Dallas, it will be good intel if we play another MLS team in the semis. :D

Here's the press release from the Bucks on Uzo's loan. http://www.buckssoccer.com/Articles/article_20070801.html

4. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a transfer as opposed to a loan. I am really curious as to what the transfer fee was. I'm assuming that there was one. They do that in USL don't they? He was a Bucks player so shouldn't they get something? Does it not work this way in the USL?

5. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think it works that way....I think if a PDL player wants to move to a USL-1 or USL-2 team...USUALLY a PDL team won't stand in their way. Especially if he doesn't change teams until the end of the season...I doubt the Bucks will receive any compensation.

6. redbull4life

redbull4life New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    if a player is signed with an amateur team that plays a qualifying match for the open cup but doesn't make the actual tournament but also plays with a pdl who have qualified for the open cup. Is he eligible to play with the pdl team in the open cup?

7. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. As long as the player doesn't play in an actual Open Cup game, he can play for anyone.

8. redbull4life

redbull4life New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    is there any place that formal states this?

9. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure it's in the handbook somewhere. I'll check.

10. redbull4life

redbull4life New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    thanks i appreciate it....do you work for us soccer or just cover the open cup.

11. redbull4life

redbull4life New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    is there a link to the us open cup handbook?

12. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. redbull4life

redbull4life New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    it talks about the website only and how it was created? nothing my previous eligibility question.

14. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that was just to answer the question on if I work for US Soccer or not.

Here's a quote from the handbook:

(c) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (d) of this section, any player who plays in any part of an Open Cup match for a team, may not be included in the Open Cup roster or play for any other team in the Open Cup competition for that year.

So, yes.

We've seen that happen a couple times recently. I was told that when Jeremy Ortiz, who played for Ocean City FC (then the Ocean City Barons) of the PDL, was playing for the United German Hungarians of the USASA, that he could basically help both teams qualify ... but when the tournament began, he would have to pick a team to play for.

15. redbull4life

redbull4life New Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    ok thank you very much...is there anywhere i could reference this....can i buy the handbook or find it online its very important.

16. olujosh

olujosh Member

Aug 23, 1999
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can contact US Soccer ... whatever team you or your friend is playing for should have a copy.