Election 2007

Discussion in 'Ireland: NSR' started by Father Ted, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Bertie decides:

Who will win?

Who will lose?

More seats for Sinn Fein and The Greens?

2. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Let's hope not.

I'd like Greens to have a higher representation on principle, but our particular Green party wouldn't have a clue what to do if they ever stumbled into a position of power.

I can see this election having quite a poor turnout, if only because neither coalition really stands out. Enda Kenny's putting up the best fight that FF have had in a while, and Pat Rabbitte's Pat Rabbitte, but there's no real swell of outrage against the incumbent government so it's hard to tell whether people will come out in force. I know in my constituency only one candidate really stands out for me, and that's just because I've had dealings with him in the past so I know from experience that he's an intelligent guy and I can trust him.

Polling day is the day after my last exam, so I'll have to go home specially and then go back to Belfast. D'oh.

3. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Well I personally hate Fine Gael but will be voting for them.

4. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Well, if this straw poll on Bigsoccer is anything to go by...

5. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We're all waiting on tenderhooks to hear Berties explanation. Do you think him crying will get him off the hook again?

6. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Polls showing FF down 4 and FG up 3. Could be a FG-Labour coalition. But way too early to tell yet. I still think Bertie will be PM :p

7. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    You might be right. Irish times poll today has FF up 5. Post debate poll. Thought the debate was pretty even myself and a non event. I know we historically like rogues and people who bend the rules but electing a corrupt politician to be PM is taking that too far!!

8. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I went for the Greens myself. Eamon 'Robbie Keane' at the top of the list.

9. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I voted Labour in the end. Nash a regular at Drogs matches.

10. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Well it's starting to look like Bertram is going to get in again. Even talk of an overall majority but I would say that's a long shot.

11. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I'm watching the RTE "Raw" coverage from their website, I guess they are live not on the air yet because they've skrewed a few things up.

12. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Ah. I'm glad you said that as I thought it was just me being dense.:D

13. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    A whole lot of nothing then a "let me fix this to your blouse"

14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Not certain that I'm happy with Bertie getting back in, but I'm absolutely delighted that Michael McDowell got his arse kicked out of politics.

15. billyireland

billyireland Member+

May 4, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm definitely not happy Bertie got back in - wouldn't mind moving out of the gaf in the next 5 years!

16. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I'm not so sure about that - he drove me mad at times but I think we need a few characters like himself and Trevor Sargent around the Dáil.

I'm delighted that Joe McHugh got in in Donegal North-East - I have high hopes for the man. Incidentally, are Mr. Olwyn Enright and Mrs. Joe McHugh the first husband-and-wife team to sit in the Dáil? As far as I'm aware they are. Beyond his strong performance, the remaining two seats went to Fianna Fáil - Jim McDaid's election was eminently predictable given the investment that he's brought to Letterkenny, but I have to say that the third seat ended up as a 'lesser of two evils' situation, ending up as one from Blaney (FF), Keaveney (FF), and MacLochlainn (SF).

All I'll say is let there be no more complaining about hospitals from those who voted Bertie et al. back into power. I know there was a lot of anger up here about the election being called for a Thursday, when students are away from home, and presumably the situation was the same around the country. Bertie's Dublin-centrism effectively disenfranchised tens of thousands of young voters - if he doesn't want it on a Friday, then FFS call it on a Sunday. I know if I hadn't happened to finish my exams the day before I wouldn't have been able to make it back, my brother would have lost his vote if he hadn't thought to register for postal voting from Dublin earlier in the week, and another brother and my sister lost their votes because they were both away. As it happens I specifically came back to vote for the only credible FF alternative we had, but it's absolutely maddening that despite their disregard and arrogance they've romped back in.

17. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I of course meant Joe Higgins, who also lost his seat. I was reading an article that mentioned Sargent at the time, which is why I mixed up the names.

18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    No. Bridget Hogan O'Higgins and Michael O'Higgins (FG) were. Must be an FG thing.

19. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    Well, that puts the Greens in their place - I can't believe so many party members voted in favour of the package on offer. They've given up several absolutely core principles in exchange for two ministeries and commitments that FF had made anyway. If I was a member I would have voted against - I can't imagine that that's what a lot of voters thought they were supporting in the election.

I think the fact that FF voted unanimously in favour of the deal and appeared for the cameras beaming from ear to ear says it all.