El Salvadoran Teams May Drop Out Of Champions League

Discussion in 'CONCACAF Champions Cup' started by EvanJ, Aug 10, 2008.

1. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.hexagonalblog.com/2008/08/could-metapán-drop-out-of-ccl.html

If one or both El Salvadoran teams drops out, who would you replace them with? If the team in the qualifying round drops out, I would replace them with a third team from Costa Rica, keeping the spot within UNCAF. If the team in the group stage drops out, I would move the top Panamanian team to the group stage and replace them in the qualifying round with a Costa Rican team. If Panama has one seeded and one unseeded team in the qualifying round, I would move the seeded team to the group stage, the unseeded team to seeded, and make the Costa Rican team unseeded. I don't know how many of these additional teams could be dertermined on short notice. I know the fourth place CFU that lost the home and home with Puerto Rico Islanders (and is not in the Champions League) has been dertermined. If both El Salvadoran teams drop out, I would replace them with a third Costa Rican team and for the last spot either a third Honduran team, a third Guatemalan team, or a fourth CFU team. I don't think any country should get more than 4 and I don't think Canada, Nicaragua, or Belize deserves more than 1.

The above does not apply if one or both El Salvadoran teams drop out but can be replaced by one or two other teams from El Salvador.

2. anewsoccerfan

anewsoccerfan Member

Apr 15, 2007
    Chapel Hill, NC
    A 3rd Costa Rican team and another Caribbean team would be my guess.....I dunno.

3. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Wait, I don't get it. Is Cuscatlan privately owned, and they would have to rent it for the games?
    Either way it sucks not to be able to play in your own stadium.

4. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    yes i didnt get the point, why is this happeninbg?

replace them with Heredia, brujas, or PZ

5. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Adán Salazar, presidente del Isidro Metapán, confirmó que el partido como local contra el Marathón de Honduras por la fase eliminatoria de la Liga de Campeones de CONCACAF, el 27 de agosto, tendrá lugar en Ciudad de Guatemala.......

Link: Metapán será local en Guate

6. The Marquis

The Marquis Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Washougal, WA
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So Metapan is going to play 2 away legs? Is that what that says?

7. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    In a way, yes. Their home game will be in a neighboring country.

8. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Al final, sí será en el Cuscatlán. Metapán jugará su encuentro de Liga de Campeones ante el Marathón de Honduras en el estadio Cuscatlán después de que Concacaf intercediera por él ante Edessa (Estadios Deportivos de El Salvador).......

Link: Metapán jugará en el Cuscatlán

9. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    I know this is of topic and not really that important, but it's been annoying me ever since this thread was opened. If your talking about a Salvadoran person or group, they are refered to as Salvadorans not El Salvadoran. Sorry, don't mean to make a fuss about it, but it's a common mistake and for some reason i find a need to correct people :D

10. Scientific-Guanaco

Jul 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Not necessarily. The county's name is El Salvador, thus El Salvadoran. Regualr usage of Slavadoran could imply a resident of Slavador, Brasil, who are also Salvadorans. Like a Bostonian or New Yorker.

11. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    Oh okay then, i guess when people ask you where your family heritage is from you say El Salvadoran right :rolleyes:

It's Salvadoran, no need to confuse those that don't know. But for future referance just drop the "El" and all will be fine ;) :D

12. Scientific-Guanaco

Jul 28, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I didnt say you were completeley wrong did I? :confused:

Both are correct, thats all I'm saying. Just like it preference on either using Salvadorian or Salvadoran. It just seems like you like to drop the El, there's nothing wrong with that. And I do use both. But lets stick to the topic.

13. el_cuscatleco

el_cuscatleco Member

Nov 2, 2006
    Melbourne, Australia
    But that's the thing, Salvadorean and Salvadorian are both also incorrect. Salvadoran is the correct way it's spelt, but alot of people use the other two, even though it's gramatically incorrect. Yes, it's understood that Salvadorean means the same as Salvadoran, but it's misspelt. Same goes for El Salvadoran. It's Salvadoran, not El Salvadoran. Again, both are commonly used, but gramatically speaking, Salvadoran is the correct term that should be used when refering to those from El Salvador.

It's not like that's what i think, but in fact that's the correct way it is ment to be spelt. If you don't believe me, have a read through any recently updated dictionary, or maybe any post 2000 books on El Salvador and you'll see that although Salvadorean, Salvadorian and El Salvadoran are still sometimes used, they are being fazed out. Nowadays, Salvadoran is prefered over the other two, and the "El" is not used at all.

14. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Well i go by Salvadoran, and i hate it when people say "Salvador" it's El Salvador. So the country is El Salvador and were Salvadorans.:cool: :D

15. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Salvie a negative connotation? In WR I always get called Salvie, by Mexican fans. :confused:

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador

I don't mind being called Salvie, or Salva i say it.

18. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    salvie :D

19. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    :p atta boy.

20. El Daly

El Daly Member

May 28, 2006
    Puerto Rico
    Club:
    Puerto Rico Islanders
    Nat'l Team:
    Puerto Rico
    El 90% de los que estamos aqui hablamos en español (castellano para no ofender) y escribimos en ingles por el resto, aun queando el tema sea de un pais latinoamericano. Interesante no? Well, let be!

21. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When accusing someone of misspelling something, correcting their grammar, and talking about how things are spelled and misspelled it's advisable not to misspell words like spelled, misspelled, grammatically, et al. ;) Although, it probably made quite a few people chuckle.

I usually don't point out such errors here because I understand that a lot of people aren't native English speakers, and a lot of it may be typos. My grammar isn't really the best either. But you brought this upon yourself. And the truth is, if it is understood what is meant, then why does it matter? Isn't the ultimate point of written/spoken language effective communication? If the spelling error does not cause a change in definition, then, well, why should we care? Elitism?

Also, Firefox's automatic spell check function finds Salvadoran and Salvadorian correct, but not Salvadorean, not that that means anything.

To stir the pot a bit more I've heard the term Salvadorano, just throwing that out there, even if it's not "correct".

One last thing. I love papusas, I used to go to a(n) (El) Salvador(an/ean/ian) restaurant in San Diego all the time when I lived there. I forget what it was called, but that place was great!

22. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mkay...so are the Salvatrucha teams still in?:D

23. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. FenoFutbol

FenoFutbol Red Card

Dec 12, 2005
    Aguilucho Villa
    Salvas, Salvi, Salvy, Salvie, Guanacos, Guanakos, Cuzcatlecos, Salvadorenos, Salvadoreans, Salvadorians, Salvatruchos, Eses...

No se cuantos sobrenombres mas tenemos, lo cierto esque casi todos estos terminos pertenecen a los Estados Unidos. Alla en El Salvador solo nos llamamos Salvadorenos y Cuzcatlecos y la palabra "Guanaco" ya esta siendo adaptada al lenguaje popular.

Es una lastima que se tenga que dar este tipo de situaciones con el Metapan por ser un equipo chico. Que le paso al Firpo? no estoy muy actualizado con esto de la champions.

25. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone care to translate? From the tiny bit of Spanish I know that seemed to be an insightful post and I don't want to rely babelfish or google.