EL Round of 16 2nd Leg: Roma v Lyon (March 16th, 2017)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Mar 15, 2017.

1. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma means something different to everyone and everyone is free to choose what that something is. Doesn't not make him a Roma fan, just makes him and you different types of Roma fans. There is no right and wrong.[emoji4]

Rosay, Haakon24 and Gianluca511 repped this.
  2. Lameelaa

Lameelaa Member

Mar 3, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

These guys are right on whats happening to the italian teams right now.

porreca and UdineseFan98 repped this.
  3. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Really good Channel. I love those guys

4. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Pretty sure Spal is done with this team. Its pretty much the same story as when he left for Russia.

5. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't know how anyone can blame Signore Spalletti for much of this teams demise. Of course Spalletti has his faults and has made some bad mistakes, but he can only achieve with what he is given. Despite what most of you think, our team is not really that good. We have one world class player, the rest are average to say the least. In Spain, Germany or England - we would be lucky to get into the top 5, its that simple.

If we would see Spalletti at a team like Chelsea, Real or Bayern - we would be talking major titles. Spalletti is the best we can have. It's not his fault, the American owners have no idea of football.

porreca repped this.
  6. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the end of the day we had a multitude of changes but didn't score. It happens, and it happens to every team. IMO, the only real issue I had with this game in particular is our consistently poor defending of set pieces. Other than that this was lost in the 2nd half of the first leg.

With or without Perotti this team generated a ton of scoring chances. I have no complaints at all about this match.

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think @Salmeen10 called it correctly. I think Spalletti was using this job to relaunch his career.

8. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may not agree with @porreca on this game or the curva but he's certainly a Roma fan. The issues he's upset about though aren't isolated to just Roma, it's league wide.

For a decade now SA have not done well in European play. The league attendance and TV ratings suck. Considering that 8 years ago Roma were headed down the path of Parma and that the league as a whole is 20 years behind other leagues I'm ok with where the team is at.

The sad reality is that unless the league and the country make changes teams in SA will continue to struggle

9. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma

They did but we're talking about how we attack and we can't just be this direct against every opponent. That's were he comes in, his play is much more measured.

shiboboo and Java65 repped this.
  10. muptonfish

muptonfish Member

Oct 10, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    my goodness you have a hard on to hate on the American owners :rolleyes:

Haakon24, ErPupone and wm72 repped this.
  11. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The funny part is that the Italian owners were bankrupting this club... but that's ok with some people. The American owners took a team that was on the verge of bankruptcy and have turned them into consistent CL qualifiers. Sure they have made mistakes, that part of life, but overall this club is far better off today than they were when they bought them.

TifosoRoma and ErPupone repped this.
  12. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Im sure inter and Milan failing has nothing to do with it...

13. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Roma were struggling to get EL spots before then. Let's not kid ourselves in the few good years we had in the last 15 they were when Totti was in his prime. Without Totti I highly doubt we have even those years.

Rosay repped this.
  14. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Roma and Napoli have benefited greatly from those two clubs struggling. I have a feeling Inter next year with Pioli fixing things over the summer will be force.

Anyways that's just my opinion.

15. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree they have benefited in that they are making the CL but Roma were not even regular EL qualifiers before. So if you throw Inter and ACM into the top 3 Roma are still regular EL qualifiers.

I think the days of ACM and Inter being powers might over. They don't have the money that the other big teams have nor do they have the international following to generate that kind of revenue. I think they can be better, but I don't think they'll be able to challenge Juve on a regular basis.

16. Il Ciuccio

Il Ciuccio Member+

Feb 17, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Those teams have to much global appeal to stay down and out.

Rosay repped this.
  17. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    This team was not built to last in three competitions, and it didn't. We don't have alternatives to quite a few players. Now we can focus on retaining 2nd place in Serie A.

Java65 repped this.
  18. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, I'd just as soon throw out our Primavera squad in the first CI match and exit it.

19. Midgo

Midgo Member

Oct 8, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Spalletti killed our chances of advancing by taking both wbs and and a md for three fws when we had still 15 minutes to score the third goal.

We might not be among the best teams in Europe, but overrall conceding 5 goals to Lyon is unaccaptable and the blame lays on the coach.

And tbh I don't care if he leaves and signs with Juve, he proved it in Russia that he clearly needs the richest club in the division to win, and even with Zenith he got average results in Europe.

romanista8910 repped this.
  20. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They make a great point about Totti. He is the only player you can point to who comes onto the pitch with a clear idea of what to do and essentially grabs the bull by the horns. Sometimes Nainggolan is like that, but everyone else seems kind of passive in the role of pushing the team forward. It is almost like the team is working too much like a collective if that makes any sense. You need players who say "don't worry fam, I got this" and go out and do it. When it is crunch time, Lebron James turns it up a notch and guess what? You aren't stopping him. Maybe there aren't a lot of players out there who do that or have that mentality. But we need those types of players if we ever hope to compete with Juve or in Europe.

ellemby, wm72 and romanista8910 repped this.
  21. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats cuz the types of players that want to and can cost 80 mil. :coffee:

22. wm72

wm72 Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    New York
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, the main "hump" Roma needs (or needed) Spalletti to get over is simply getting consistent results against clubs like Lyon and Porto in Europe. Forget "trophies" or Bayern or Real Madrid -- I would just settle for the club first avoiding so many disastrous performances against the clubs we should beat. That's the "next step" Roma needs to take.

Shit can happen on occasion or you can draw Real or Bayern but this is really just more of the same in Europe: Porto, Bate, Fiorentina, blowing that lead at CSKA literally after stoppage time etc etc. . .

Even under Garcia with a weaker roster than now, Roma almost always showed " a lot of heart" after it was all but too late.

Oban14, La Magica, ErPupone and 3 others repped this.
  23. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SES was arguably the best player after he came on and Peres and done nothing all game. Perotti set up a couple chances after he came on. At that point Roma needed at least 1 goal to advance.

Again, this was lost in the 2nd half of the first leg. Spalletti has made a few mistakes but there isn't a coach alive who hasn't but overall he's done pretty good for Roma.

24. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You have your Peres blinkers on. He set up a great chance for Salah with a through ball from midfield. I'm just trying to be fair to the lad.

Peres is a bit of an oddity. Bar the odd error here and there his play around midfield areas is generally good. However as soon as he gets near the oppositions box it becomes very poor. This game was certainly no exception.

Also it should be noted that SES completely neglected his defensive duties shortly after we went 2-1 up. It very nearly resulted in Lyon scoring a second and ending the tie there and then.

25. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was atrocious, Spalletti ripped him and there was a reason he was the first guy off the field. I know a lot of people wanted this guy but this is who he is. He's Iturbe without the work ethic. You can try to argue for Peres all you want but he's a disaster defensively, he is completely useless in the final third and if he's not giving the ball away in the MF he's passing it backwards.

SES job was to attack, as was Perotti's we needed a goal. That said SES was no worse defensively than Peres and SES didn't give the ball away in our end numerous times.

If you think it's just me go back and find the player ratings from multiple newspapers and you'll see Peres nearly every game Peres is rated as one of the worst 3 players.

It's not just me that thought he was awful vs Lyon. Below is a link with player ratings of a number of newspapers, every last one of them rated him the worst player. Its not I who has Peres blinders on.

http://www.forzaroma.info/rassegna-...-alisson-salva-peres-spreca-strootman-leader/

shiboboo repped this.