EL Round of 16 2nd Leg: Roma v Lyon (March 16th, 2017)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I think all kinds of results are possible in this game. From the favourable to the not so favourable.

Roma need to be smart here. Although it's far from an easy task, it should be remembered that a 2-0 win at home gets them through and that is certainly doable, but only if Roma remain solid at the back. Leaving space for Lyon's skillful attackers to exploit on the counter early doors will not bode well I fear. Roma should aim for a 2-0 win. In other words, a gung-ho approach from the start is probably not going to yield a favourable outcome.

My impression of Lyon from the 1st leg is that of an unpredictable side. Literally anything could happen in this game.

Lets just sit back and (hopefully) enjoy.

2. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't feel good about this at all, 4-2 is a very tricky result. You have to win by 2 but you don't want to concede more than 1 goal. You can't play too defensive because you need a minimum of 2 goals. You can't play to attacking because if you give up a goal it makes your job even more difficult.

3. Forzaabruzzo

Forzaabruzzo Member+

Apr 19, 2006
    Makes you realize just how much easier things could be had they not conceded that 4th goal...

4. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a killer..

5. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We have shown we can do a steady slow burning professional job at home, ideally 2-0 by the 60min...Im thinking of the confident 2-0 win to Lazio style performance. This team has that in them and if they approach the game with this calm approach this Lyon team can easily crack. They have to suffocate the game in midfield and keep them pressured in, they will crack. The build up play from them and how easily they gave up possession can be the biggest factor in a good win. If it opens up and goes end to end it's a lottery with there skilful attack. 2-0 around the 60 min mark and Lyon starting taking lots of risks they're there for the taking which I can see us grabbing another 1 or 2.

6. Marco9

Marco9 Member

Oct 29, 2006
    Canada
    Club:
    AS Roma
    a lot will depend on the first 15 minutes ala Porto.

Hoping for a non Lyon lead and a non red card pls

7. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is it right there. When this team was winning it was because our MF dominated... but that's how you win at this level. MF is the engine that drives the car and they make it easier for the forwards and the defenders. I hope the good DDR shows up.

8. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Im not holding my breath, never knew Roma to pull wins like these.

shiboboo, Midfield General and Java65 repped this.
  9. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No chance - Signore Coward Spalletti lost it in the first one; with our "star" defense showing why Serie A has plummeted to incredible new lows over the last few years.

I expect a similiar score line to the first game - we can only hope Lyon screw up big time.

10. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    It's over.

11. PureEvil

PureEvil Member+

Jul 30, 2014
    California
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Bosnia-Herzegovina
    Dzeko hattrick first half lets gooooooooo

12. romanista8910

romanista8910 Member+

May 7, 2010
    Roma
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So much relies on this game. At the beginning of the season the general consensus was - let's win one more thing for Totti. A lot has happened since then. Serie A logically looks to be completely done. Coppa Italia is a big maybe as we are still down to Lazio. Lastly, Europa league is most likely done if you are a betting man. If we do not advance here, I can really see us imploding here. All of the Totti-Spalletti drama would have been for nothing. We've essentially watched our captain who has given us so much rot away on the bench with something still to offer, and in what might be his last season. All of this would have been for nothing. Totti will retire with nothing and Spalletti will have used us as his stepping stone and go to arguably our biggest rivals. We will also more than likely see someone or someones who we really do not want to lose go away. With that said, this is a must must must win game. Forza Roma.

13. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is make or break. Win here and it puts the team hopefully back on a high heading into the final stretch of the season. Losing here ends our season.

14. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    A little bit ott no? Well it would end our EL campaign anyway. The Coppa is still alive, barely alive maybe, but alive. The scudetto is almost done and dusted but 2nd place is not and we all know the hugely important significance of finishing 2nd over 3rd in Serie A. LS has been saying he's gone if he fails to win anything. Perhaps, but I think there's a reasonable chance if we finish 2nd and secure CL football, even if we win nothing, that he'll stay on for another season.

Maybe he is definitely gone if we win nothing. Either way, getting knocked out tonight certainly does not end our season. Obviously it incresases our chances of winning nothing, and we're all sick of winning nothing, but the battle for automatic CL qualification is very much on and it's massively important.

Besides, serious question marks have been raised in recent times regarding our ability as a squad to produce the goods in both the EL and Serie A concurrently. If we go deep in the EL we better end up winning it, because our league results could suffer somewhat in the meantime. If we get knocked out tonight on the other hand I believe our chances of finishing 2nd will have improved significantly.

Of course I want us to win and qualify tonight but I guess you could also say that I'm open minded about this game. Lets see what happens.

15. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I have zero expectations yet a disturbingly good feeling about this game. Anyways I'm pretty hyped for today's evening and hoping for one of those magic EC nights where Roma gets out as the winner just for once. FORZA RAGAZZI!!!

Gianluca511 and Java65 repped this.
  16. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Spalletti is gone regardless of winning trophies. I think @Salmeen10 was correct and Spalletti used this job to re-launch his career. A win is essential even if we don't advance, a loss or draw and I think our season is over. I don't think we finish second and I don't think we comeback vs Lazio.

17. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Are the barriers down yet in the curva?

19. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. They were lowered but not down. The ultras aren't coming back but it appears Roma worked out some kind of deal with Sky where subscribers could purchase tickets at a 50% discount.

edit. In typical Italian fashion there is already controversy where fans of other teams are complaining they aren't getting the same deal and from fans who already bought tickets. :rolleyes:

Capitano_10 repped this.
  20. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    I like to think LS has more integrity than that. I believe he is doing the club a favour by not signing a new contract. If he believes come season end that he cannot do any better for Roma (ie win something significant), then he will leave. I think if we finish 3rd he will definitely go, 2nd and he may very well stay for another year.

Regards tonights result, I think you're placing far too much importance on it.

21. Gianluca511

Gianluca511 Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lets get this boys, lets play with a lot of heart and perform the comeback. Forza Roma.

ErPupone repped this.
  22. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm convinced Spalletti has lost his mind. Emereson is on the bench, just unreal. Emerson has been far and away our best WB and he's on the bench.

I wonder if Juve have paid him to throw games ahead of his move.

23. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Emerson was in doubt for today's game. But where did you see the starting XI? Haven't seen it yet.

24. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Emerson had some injury concerns and they've decided he's not fit enough. That's all.

25. Java65

Java65 Member+

Oct 2, 2012
    North Carolina
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.forzaroma.info/news-as-roma/roma-lione-le-probabili-formazioni-live/

He trained with the squad all week. Peres who didn't train all week with the squad is starting. It's insane, just insane.

Edit. In that link they even say it was a surprise Emerson wasn't starting. Spalletti has been getting it wrong the last few weeks.