EL Round of 16 1st Leg: Lyon v Roma (March 9th, 2017)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Marko83

Marko83 Member

Jan 31, 2015
    Stockton on Tees, Inghilterra
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Think we need to sacrifice something, The players must be knackered and its not as though we can trust fringe players

12 Feb Crotone
    16 Feb Villareal
    19 Feb Torino
    23 Feb Villareal
    26 Feb Inter
    1 Mar Lazio
    4 Mar Napoli
    9 Mar Lyon
    12 Mar Palermo
    16 Mar Lyon
    19 Mar Sassuolo

Crazy schedule

2. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He was taking passes in the defensive side of the pitch, just on as a sub. Not the place to be getting warmed up into the game and easy to make mistakes when pressured.

3. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We missed Rudiger dearly in this match. Juan was non existent.

After all the talk about winning mentality and bla bla, they lost everything in few days. I can't say I wasn't expecting it, but I had hope.

wm72 repped this.
  4. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lyon have good attackers no doubt about it but they cant defend. So as atrocious as that 2nd half was, this isnt over just yet. Unfortunately we cant defend at the moment either.

Salah played a good game. Everyone else was average at best. Dzeko being particularly disappointing again.

5. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    At 2-2 Totti should have started warming up... at 3-2 he should've been on the pitch...

6. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I don't think LS takes Totti seriously anymore.

Shen-O, Oban14, porreca and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    What about 4-2?

8. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lyon were thrashing us all second half, they had made all 3 subs, they had at least 3 fresher pairs of feet than ours, and Spalletti still did nothing until 81'. Somebody explain that to me.

9. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, it'a 2016 all over again... Spalletti ignored Totti for weeks until he was forced to play him and we all know how that turned out...

Almost feels as if he's afraid of Totti proving him wrong again and forcing a contract extension...

10. porreca

porreca Member+

Jan 17, 2010
    UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    4-2:
    [​IMG]

11. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Team is knackered and LS seemingly has no faith in the back-up players.

12. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I wouldn't sell Roma short just yet.

It was an utterly woeful second half - it happens (it tends to happen to Italian clubs often because for some reason Italian clubs believe the opposition will just roll over without putting up a fight). Roma are among the few clubs in Europe that can rout almost anyone on any given day but they also lose stupid games.

Roma is perfectly capable of making amends in the second game but what lingers in the wake of these type of defeats is a sense of unnecessary calamity. If you're going to play an open style away from home then you need to be extra precise with your passing and decision making or else you're going leave yourself astray.

I'm surprised at the lack of shrewdness from Spaletti - I would have expected him to take the 3-2 defeat and park the bus but instead he let the ego of his men get the better of themselves.

I said earlier that this is one of the strongest Roma teams I've ever seen and it is but Roma's problem continues to be an issue related to "bad culture". No matter how impressive the midfield and overall talent is, unless your mind is right these letdowns will continue to happen.

chaponga and TifosoRoma repped this.
  13. Roma_NY

Roma_NY Member+

Oct 19, 2009
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But its not just Totti. How can you expect SES or Perotti or Paredes or Rui to get into any type of form?

And what happened to the tactically flexible Spalletti? Now every game is 3-5-2. It is ok to switch it up from time to time.

And don't get me started on Peres. Dude was supposed to be some sort of savior at RB. How many would rather have Florenzi there? At least he would gets some goals/assists.

ellemby repped this.
  14. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dismal. I don't blame Spalletti though, he can only achieve with what he is given. This team is just OK, I mean just OK. In a horrendously poor Serie A, we will easily achieve a top 3 finish - but more than that, is way beyond us. Lyon are absolutely rubbish, yet they thrashed Roma. Says everything about the standard of Serie A.

The blame has to go to these no clue American owners, who have not got the players we need. For years I have been saying - defense, defense......... defense. What was the problem today ? You guessed it.

15. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    We should just throw out a second string vs Palermo now and prepare to throw the kitchen sink at Lyon in a weeks time.

We can score a bunch against these at home.

Indian_Gladiator, ellemby and Marko83 repped this.
  16. Milan05

Milan05 Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Why does it take this clown Spaghetti so long to make his substitutions?

romanista8910 repped this.
  17. Andreas

Andreas Member+

May 1, 2011
    Netherlands
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Worst part is that none of us are actually surprised. :ROFLMAO: We know how bad Roma can screw things up.

wm72, RomaWolf and Shen-O repped this.
  18. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    It was a hard schedule and we had bad luck in both EL draws but Spalletti really ********ed it up with hardly any rotation and late subs. A thing that hasn't only cost us (probably) all 3 competitions in one week but also contributed to many of our reserves being totally out of form.

romanista8910 and ellemby repped this.
  19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Yep they're weak as fcuk and give the ball away easily during build up play from the back. If we get our heads screwed on the chances will be there to go through. They are dangerous going forward, they have nice interchange between the attack and midfield so it really all depends if the Roma of a few weeks ago can be rediscovered.

20. ErPupone

ErPupone Member+

Aug 27, 2015
    Austria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    lol, are you really taking this game as a point to compare both leagues and talk about the quality of Roma's squad? I don't even remember the last time Ligue 1 had a better international season (based on the coefficient) than Serie A. And Roma's squad is definitely better than Lyon's.

wm72 repped this.
  21. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Roma's squad is better ? Yet Lyon thrash Roma 4 - 2 ? errr... ich glaube du hast nicht verstanden.

22. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    A brief comment on Bruno Peres.

The bad. Anywhere in around the oppositions box. Cant cross and very rarely picks out the right pass.

The serviceable. His defending. It has improved. He was OK tonight.

The good. His close ball control in wide midfield areas. Good in tight spaces getting away from one or two close markers.

The very good. His stamina. Probably our fittest player. Has clocked up a lot of minutes (with no Florenzi to rotate with) but unlike others he seems to be able handle it.

In summary what you have with Bruno Peres is a player with some very strong attributes marred by some glaringly weak ones.

23. Italy-Azzurri-Fan

Nov 15, 2014
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Guys you aren't out yet. I am quite confident you can get this done in Rome. Lyon are not the best at defending, and they might actually relax a bit and think the job is already done. This is to your advantage and at the olympico all the fans will be behind you. Get in and make the comeback. A 3-1 win looks very possible and that would do it. FORZA ROMA!!!! FORZA SERIE A!!!!

24. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stupid Destro

25. Salmeen10

Salmeen10 Member+

Jan 10, 2014
    Bahrain
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    We have conceded goals in our last 6 games, is it time to reconsider the 3 man defence?