PBP: El Clásico | FC Barcelona v Real Madrid | J10 - La Liga 19/20 | 18 December 2019 [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by Viscaelbarca, Dec 16, 2019.

1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Playing Vidal for Roberto wasn’t going to change things .

2. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    #152 Jpows, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    Please, if you bothered to do some research you’d know that we’ve won at least 5 games by 3 or more goals this season. In those games Suarez scored 6 goals. Again, perspective. Furthermore, I never said it was meaningless, it’s just easier to score goals when the whole team is in a positive flow and the goals are flying in left right and centre.

It’s not naive at all to want to look beyond a 32-year-old striker who is only going to decline from here on out. Not starting to look around for a replacement right now would be the real mistake. Like has been repeated many times before, ANY signing is a risk. Proven or unproven. Our recent and past signings have attested to this fact. And yet, sitting on our hands and waiting for things to go from bad to worse doesn’t seem like the way to go.

Lautaro seems like the way to go seeing as Mbappe is most likely on his way to Barcelona. Name one realistic target who is a better option at the moment. I’ll wait...

3. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Let’s be honest ... Messi isn’t letting Suarez not play . They either both leave at the same time or Suarez decides to leave by his own accord .

And Suarez probably hasn’t declined as much as the team around him has .

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Like I said in my previous post, we need to shop for a striker. I'm just pointing-out that the replacement is likely to be less productive than Suarez (yes, even 32 year old Suarez) and combine less effectively with Messi. So lets keep the expectations in check.

But I have nothing against Lautaro in general. Its critical whoever Luisito's replacement is that its someone 23 or younger since the first season will probably be rotation with Suarez & learning from him, which an older striker probably wouldn't be willing to do.

5. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
    compared to our midfield,suarez isnt that bad. he is still world class although the last match is disaster. still we need Lautaro next season.
    our midfield is simply outdated. Cant believe that they forgot how to press.

6. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I don’t know if I believe in that narrative. I’d like to think Messi would pick Barcelona over his friendship with Suarez if the latter’s performances were to be detrimental to the results. I’d hope Suarez is sensible enough to understand this too. It affects his own legacy too, after all.

7. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I mean, surely it’s not that hard to create a connection with Messi. He makes everyone around him play better. I’d just like to see this connection result into goals in crucial matches at crucial times not just mostly in goal-fests. We’ll see how the CL goes this year.

As far as being 23 or younger, hello Lautaro. Fits the profile to a tee.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Besides the friendship, Messi probably believes he has the best understanding on the field with Suarez. Bringing in someone new you have to restart everything over again. Wouldn't be surprised if that's one of the reasons Roberto typically has kept his position over Semedo who doesn't seem to have any kind of chemistry with Messi.

If the training exercise I posted a couple of weeks ago says anything, it's that everything revolves around getting the best out of Messi.

9. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    I understand your point, the only problem is that at some point this understanding needs to get us more than just a Liga. Even that is at risk this season.

For the past two seasons Messi has kicked off the season with a speech clearly emphasizing our CL ambitions. If we look at Suarez UCL record and compare it to top strikers it’s simply not good enough.

How much of this is to blame on him and how much on EV? If EV isn’t used as the reason for Suarez being good in the league than I feel it’s unfair to use him as a scapegoat for Suarez CL record.

Oh well, I know winning the CL isn’t a simple task and a lot depends on luck and form of the day, but again, when we compare with other top strikers Suarez seems to fall short time and again.

10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Never said otherwise.

Nice goal and 3 assists by Suarez today. Oh wait, we won by 3 doesn't count. ;)

inswinger and unclesox repped this.
  11. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Surely you can do better than that last bit. Again, putting words in my mouth. I never said they didn’t count. Don’t be one of those guys, go back and actually read what I said. This only proves my point, goes missing when needed most, then goes on to do this against the mighty Alavez and all is forgiven. Recency bias at its best.

Anyway, might as well leave this here as we’re going around in circles and you keep paraphrasing me in order to emphasize your retort. I stated my opinion based on what I’ve seen and that’s that.

12. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    My gawd how deluded are the Real Madrid fans !?

In their version of this Classico thread they’re still whining about referee bias .. preferential fixtures .. political bias in our favour !!

In fact everything above clearly applies to them... I did go in their holding a ‘peace’ flag but I still got a written warning :(

13. Forzabarca

Forzabarca Guest

Why do you even go there? I never go there, there's no point! LPB or LPF will always remain totalitarian authoritarian! You can't argue with a donkey!

14. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I don’t go by choice ... I use TapaTalk so you follow ...comments/ thread titles but it doesn’t show if it’s on the. Barca section or Real Madrid or whoever ... it gets me into some bad places !!

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Both PKs were pretty obvious to give. Sounds like you went there to troll.

16. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    Well for one thing I’m 61 and I’ve never ‘trolled’ anyone ..

I admitted that they should : could have had a penalty when Rakitic dragged Varane down - pulling his shirt .. but I didn’t get a look at the other one ( stamping?) .

17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Lenglet cleats to Varanes thigh .

18. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    But all collisions aren’t deliberate / intentional ( apart from Pepe / Ramos - obviously) ..

19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What does that comment even remotely apply to that play ? He knew were Varane was so wasn’t blind sided , went for the ball and stuck his studs on thigh . A foul doesn’t have to be deliberate to be a foul .

20. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    It means I didn’t fecking see the focking incident .. it’s not a denial ..

21. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You should review the plays in question before going out and passing judgement then.

@ 50 sec ... and then at the end of the video.

unclesox repped this.
  22. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I never passed judgment on the ‘stamp’ as I never noticed it ..
    I’ve made that clear all throughout .

23. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You quoted a specific play he mentioned and replied to it.

I don’t see how any other conclusion could result of you suggesting that Lenglet on Varane may not have been deliberate/intentional.

i.e., why quote that incident if you did not intend to pass judgement on it?

celito repped this.
  24. TitoTata

TitoTata Member+

Jun 26, 2014
    I wasn’t passing judgment per se .. just offering a take on something he said - he had suggested that Lenglet deliberately stamped on Varane .. I don’t see Lenglet as a ‘Pepe’ type player and just stated a fact that all collisions are not deliberate or even fouls .

Seems fair and reasonable enough to my mind especially considering I saw Rakitic dragging Varane down and called it as a penalty when the tv pundit/ commentator didn’t even mention it ..

25. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    But if you hadn't seen the play in question, you're basically just making an assumption.

And you're old enough to know that you should never assume.