EJ: Cardiff City vs. Doncaster Rovers [R] 03/07

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by schrutebuck, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well, believe what you want.

2. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    I don't agree, the shooting channel was there without an extra step. The 2 defenders were not in his shooting line one step earlier.

3. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

Wow... you do realize that this is not a progressive step chess engagement and that EJ cannot with precise accuracy guess how much space will be ceded by each defender, right?

It is a flowing, living, 22-individual piece of physical improv theatre.

Room to fire ball into net from 20 meters = Great freakin' touch!

4. dwsmith1972

dwsmith1972 BigSoccer Supporter

May 11, 2007
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks arsenal. I had never seen that clip. Made me even happier for him.

5. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're right, and that wasn't the goalie inches away from making a save either.

6. arsynic

arsynic Red Card

Jan 2, 2007
    Santa Barbara
    he took a touch around a defender into space and took a shot and scored. i don't know why these idiots are trying to make a thing about it.

7. quinn

quinn Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Its an effective way of tempering optimism.

8. FC Matt 90

FC Matt 90 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see the point of this kind of post...

Good for EJ. The goal is great, but its even better to see that he's put together consecutive good performances. Also, you can tell he's gotta be doing something right in training for his teammates and coaches to be so happy for him.

arsynic, we're all happy that he scored a goal because he's had a rough stretch and it finally looks like his pulling out of that and his hardwork was rewarded with that goal. It was a nice goal, and we have every right to be really really happy for the guy. If you don't care, don't post, simple as that

9. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you're misreading his post.

10. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think EJ is ready to start in the next qualifier over Ching or Chang or Chung or whatever Hawaiian Punchless' name is.

11. NGV

NGV Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Still disagree, because where he ended up is a better shooting position than outside the corner of the box (closer to the goal, harder for a keeper to cover the angles). Johnson's touch may or may not have been heavy, but he placed the ball in about the best possible spot available.

12. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look, I have no problem with people expressing an opinion. But to base it on Ching being "punchless", that is just plain weird.

1. Ching was the leading scorer for the USMNT in 2008;
    2. Johnson has one goal in 18 months for club and country; and
    3. the USMNT is in a good vein of form.

To each their own, I guess.

13. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are aware that you're talking about goals against Barbados, Trinidad and Cuba right? Goals against Mexico or Costa Rica would have impressed me more. And how bout is non-existance in the recent game against Mexico.
    Let me let you in on a secret Marty. Brian Ching sucks. You better make sure you keep this secret. I don't want anyone else finding out.

14. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that really would have changed my universe if only I had read that live. Shame.

The point remains: you don't rationally call one guy who scores in MLS and against supposed lower class CONCACAF sides (though one squad is full of English-based players and got a tie in the last World Cup final against a European side) punchless when you are advocating for a guy who doesn't score anywhere, anytime -- until yesterday. No BS is going to change those facts.

P.S. You are joking in saying that Ching not scoring in one game agaisnt Mexico makes him punchless while EJ scores against some crap English 2nd level side and he is Mr. Punch? Please be joking.

P.S. #2: Don't you think the USMNT ought to have a game against Costa Rica before you criticize Ching for not scoring against them?

Let me let YOU in on a secret, whateveryournameis, Brian Ching may or may not suck, but right now the other options are worse or unproven.

15. Bigrose30

Bigrose30 Member+

Sep 11, 2004
    Jersey City, NJ
    Gee could you be biased? If you think Brian Ching was non-existant against Mexico, then I'm afraid you had your mind made up before it started.

Thankfully, Bob Bradley doesn't wear his club allegiances on his sleeve.

16. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Because you were so right about McBride too. ;)

17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys,

Lets keep the game day threads focused on the games themselves, please. Ching's effectiveness for the NT is too far OT.

Thanks.

18. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    national team time is the last thing EJ needs right now, this is a critical time for him, the closure of the CCCL season. he has 10-12 games left to learn, and get results. Then take it back to Fulham where he will try and beat out Zamora, whom i reckon would be his competition. Honestly......EJ cant do much worse than Zamora's currnt form.

Good for EJ, let him focus on club. Bumbling, tumbling Norwich is next, and Cardiff's forwards are injured. EJ has another chance to put in a solid performance. Norwich are completely inept right now in all facets, EJ could put in a multiple goal performance coming up.

Ive been one of his biggest critics, but ill be rooting for him. But this national team stuff is way too pemature, let the big boys play the WCQ, and let EJ get back in the swing of things during the Gold Cup.

19. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Can you kindly do the following? 1) Read afgrijselijkheid's posts above about player hating, 2) read Bungadiri's post above yours, and then 3) take it elsewhere?

Thanks.

20. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, that's funny, cause I saw a player who was everywhere...playing like 2 forwards by himself, allowing LD to drop back and for the US to dominate midfield, thus limiting Mexico to 2 or 3 legitimate chances on goal over a 90-minute game.

but how 'bout that EJ, good for him, his kind of shot too...I think he may be the best US player at getting off those 15 to 18-yard hard & low shots that find a way just inside the post. They seem to make it into the goal quickly, like a Mathis shot that way.

two touches, the first of which beats 2 defenders, the second of them beating 2 defenders and a goalie and going in between the sticks, what's not to like.

21. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Isn't EJ usually pretty right footed? I don't remember him striking lots of left footed shots but my memory isn't great. Always nice to finish like that with your off foot.

22. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ is and always has been left footed. But you're right. Most of his goals HAVE come from him turning back right.

23. Soccer Obsession

Jun 13, 2007
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't he pretty much equally good with both feet? I think that's one of his best technical strengths. I've seen different sources refer him as left footed, and some as right footed. I've never seen it completely clarified. But the point is, he is good with both feet.

24. MarvelousNTx

MarvelousNTx Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Arlington --AggTown
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there ya go. In other words, He's a Soccer Player.

25. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    What was Preki?