EJ & Adu: Aris vs Xanthi 2/17 (Greek Cup Quarter-finals) 16:00 Greek/9:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Feb 15, 2010.

1. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Adu off - nice little hand from the crowd (but they're actually more busy singing :)

2. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice goal! Freddy with the MLS secondary assist! Heavy ball that Campora is still able to control, then serve up Koke for the goal.

And Javito comes on for Freddy. Nice game.

3. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Antoy, our boy has just been subbed off. Good game from Freddy. :D

4. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    i believe it was Adu to Calvo to Koke

5. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm also looking forward to the day where, instead of hearing that he lost the ball to a triple team and tracked back to recover the ball (totally understandable), I hear triple teamed, passed out of it to spring a dangerous attack.

A triple team, the way I have to imagine it (no ability to watch), means there are good opporunities to take advantage of. A 90 minute fit Adu is capable of solving that problem.

1 person likes this.
  6. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    And now Johnson is on! yanks abroad almost go the full 90 :)

OOPS spoke too soon

7. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
  8. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Let's see some EJ.

9. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    God i love this team. They emphasize everything i love about this beautiful, and represent all the leagues i watch.

10. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really wasn't anywhere for him to go, the touch line may as well have been the 4th defender.

11. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Own goal? Fair and Balanced! "Repppped!" :D

12. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Welcome to Aris my friend! :cool:

13. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

What if he was near the end line with no room. I guess he could always do a magic trick and make the ball disappear and make it re-appear at a teammates foot. [ Meant to put a smiley face here]

14. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    EJ coming on.

15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Here comes EJ.

16. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    OK - he's out there now :)

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Tzonzon coming on

18. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    Fine, he didn't hammer it home, but that was a tough ball to get a touch on and he guided it in nicely. Own goal is ridiculous. That clip clearly showed him scoring.

19. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Oh i've known about this before adu and EJ, thanks to my time spent in greece last summer, watched a couple of games for gracian and El Loco. They def. look WAY better now.

But yes, screw all the haters that because of ignorance and never watching a game of greek soccer talk shit because they have no idea about the quality in this league.

I said it before, I will say it again, it is on point with Mexico which is for me #3 in the americas, with just brasil and argentina ahead by a tad'.

Mexican clubs kills MLS teams with the same exact playing style and smart possession play everytime they line up with MLS teams in the last concacaf competitions. Adu is getting that playing style that he knows best, and is succceeding in a better league then MLS. What else can be said? Not to mention getting to live in Greece....

20. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Eddy with a nice little holdup at the top of the 18 with his back to goal. - Staves off a defender and gets it to a wing...

21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    EJ with ideas and runs. Nice.

22. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I still dont get how people say that EJ was not techincally competent. A player just doesnt learn how to do the things he's been showing here at Aris. He holds well, shields from defenders well, dribbles well, is cocky and fast with his step overs like any good brasilian/south american. He IMO has 'had this' for a while, but the teams and league EPL/Cola wasnt a good one to let it loose in. I hope he stays in greece, and makes the best of his time here/ moves on to a slower but more techincal league which just like freddy, seems right up his alley like spain.

1 person likes this.
  23. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noted. Thanks for the RATIONAL (not directed at you) explanation of the play.

24. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Johnson beats one defender at midfield. Second shoves him down for a free kick

25. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I too look forward to this day. Every offensive player is given the ring of Sauron upon earning their wings that could only be used once a day and when triple teamed on the sidelines. It would allow them to turn both themselves and the ball invisible for 3 seconds, thus allowing them to escape these kind of dastardly traps and always produce scoring opportunities!

I mean since we are living in fantasy worlds and all...