EJ & Adu: Aris vs Xanthi 2/17 (Greek Cup Quarter-finals) 16:00 Greek/9:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Pull One Back

Pull One Back Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Adu scuffed a shot after being teed up from about 15 yards on the left ... that was about 5 minutes ago. He looked to be tiring at the end of the half. HT now, 2-0 Aris

2. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Tambo not to pick on you because you are a very level headed and fair poster but don't you see the Adu standard people apply and the inconsistency in your own posting?

99% of possession in soccer ends in a turnover of one type or another. It's not a game where you pick an individual mis touch to define a persons game (good or bad). It is the whole in soccer unless you want to give every player on the pitch a 3 in a 1-0 game.

3. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's win this thing, I bet if Aris let a goal in Adu comes out so don't let them score...:D

4. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Are you talking about the ball he recovered?

5. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I think todays game will really test his fitness, wouldn't be surprised to see him subbed early...he got his goal so I think they should save him for the weekend if possible...

6. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Look, I'm not an Adu-thread fanatic like a lot of you, so I'm not privy to all the intricate nuances and dynamics of the ongoing dialogue, and how people interpret what. I was just trying to give some basic descriptions of what I was seeing on my screen, since it seemed like 90% of the people here were stuck unable to view the match.

None of my comments were attacks on Adu. I don't have a horse in that race. I'm just trying to relay the basic vibe of the game. When I said it wasn't a perfect strike, that wasn't a "criticism" -- it was just a description.

3 people repped this.
  7. Reccossu

Reccossu Member+

Jan 31, 2005
    Birmingham
    so which channel is the game on? I can only see 2 and 3.

8. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    No. It was over on the far touchline. Ultimately resulted in a cross for Xanthi.

9. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chill man, people are just uptight in these threads because of the crazy ass Adu bashing frenzy that happens whenever people have the gall to say Adu is a quality player just waiting to find his form and dominate like we know he can.

Vamos Aris! Vamos Adu!

10. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and much appreciated, repped.

11. YankatOxford

YankatOxford Member+

Oct 15, 2007
    Tambo your description of the game is accurate, no worries. Adu has played reasonably well and scored a goal! He also has made several mistakes, including a few dangerous re-gifts of possession. Keep it coming with the even handed analysis.

12. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Welcome to "Freddy's World"! The game show where you get to contribute. The twist is, there's no middle ground. ;) Criticize and you're a "Haaayterrrrr". Compliment and you're just a "Fanboy". Woohooo! Isn't it fun?! :D

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Actually it's not a description, just like I'm not Jessica Alba isn't a description of me.

That was a very high degree of difficulty touch. Still waiting for replays to see exactly how he did that.

14. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I noted in my post you were a fair poster, I don't think you are a habitual critic.

I was just noting that only in an Adu thread does a player score the potential game winning goal for the second game in a row and the biggest conversation point is a turnover that didn't product a goal or even scoring chance. The comment wasn't about the hyper critical nature of Adu observations, it was about the hyper analysis. Every touch is magnified like no other player.

No player can live up to that level of analysis. Watch the RM v. Lyon game in CL yesterday and put Cristiano Ronaldo though that filter and he would look awful. He had turnovers in 3 consecutive possessions, one leading to a break for Lyon.

15. adutotti

adutotti New Member

Jan 13, 2010
    Club:
    AS Roma
    freddy is returning to hs standard, hight standard, we must attend him, he find 2 goals in 2 match so, i cant think that freddy could be subbed in this second half i think i will play all the second half to find his 90' minutes on his legs... not a very good match for him but he have the skills and a lot of qualities.... leave him in the pitch..

16. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    BTW,

Thanks for the Bebinio link its working great for me!

17. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Beb's just came off the halftime commercial break (Mucho thanks for the link!!! - the alpha link didn't work for me either) They just reshowed the goals. Sweet take by Adu off of the Spector-type cross... Two games, two goals. Keep it up Freddy!

18. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    ur welcome... :rolleyes:

19. tambo

tambo Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Well, isn't that what we're here for -- to focus on Yanks abroad?

At any rate, I now have to duck out to work, so the extreme scrutiny will have to come from other quarters...

20. DMTerp02

DMTerp02 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Annapolis, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, brilliant ball and nice composure by Freddy to guide it in. Love him or hate him, that kid must be over the moon right now after these two years of struggle.

21. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    This is the truth. I've seen people put Messi under that level of scrutiny and say they didn't think his ball control was that great. :eek:

You're right Tambo, that was a Fair and Balanced evaluation. :D

22. babieca

babieca Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too! Thanks.

(Now, let's just hope on students come to see me during my office hours)

23. CenterLine

CenterLine Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think EJ's gonna get his chance this half, Xanthi's gonna be pushing lots of players forward which should open up spaces in the back. Hopefully he comes in and exploits them. :D

24. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Not to unrealistic levels of scrutiny. They should be grounded in some context of the game. A few missed touches does not make a bad game, every player even the best in the world could not rate high with such unrealistic expectations.

25. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    ok second half just started...:cool: