EJ & Adu: Aris vs Xanthi 2/17 (Greek Cup Quarter-finals) 16:00 Greek/9:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Feb 15, 2010.

1. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amazing, isn't it?

2. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007
    And yet you waste your time typing more letters above.

Weak Argument.

End of Discussion.

3. SeaOtter

SeaOtter Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I did was ask you to lighten up and discuss Freddy's play with the guy rather than dismiss the contribution to the thread.

What you did was make accusations and generally get bent out of shape.

Not much of a discussion.

But we can end whatever it was. Sure.

4. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
  5. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Correct. What novastar said was perfectly accurate in his view and not at all mean-spirited or malicious.

6. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

Deal.

7. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    When I looked back to see what all the fuss was about, I was surprised. You guys are overreacting to #1F&A's reply. He picked out a questionable sentence and made a good point about it. He didn't comment on or challenge anything else there. That single point was along the lines of "his goal wasn't spectacular enough." Needs to beat people easily? Wut?? There's nothing wrong or disrespectful about the reply! The pissing match afterwards is a separate event.

8. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please stick to this deal.

9. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to say that we're starting to find the trend--most commonly noted in Adu threads but it's certainly elsewhere--of people instantly jumping down the throats of posters who aren't frantically praising Player X extremely problematic.

This is not to deny that there are other problems and we will continue to address trolling posts that are negative just to be provocative, but the pendulum seems to have swung too far to the side of defensiveness these days.

For example: People should be able to make a sincerely evaluative comment about Freddy's touch for a goal, wondering if he really intended to go far post or if he just got lucky, without being smeared as just the latest in a long line of haters who have never liked the guy and never given him credit for anything.

If you disagree with the case being made, present an alternative case, without speculating about the poster's hidden agenda. Play the ball, not the man. And like any good defender, think twice before you leave your feet.

10. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I think that's a reasonable expectation but it's not just about observation and feedback it's about starting from a ridiculous starting point and measuring performance against some unattainable standard. Adu isn't the only American to suffer from this by posters here and elsewhere. Here is an example of Ives defending Michael Bradley from this very same type of "analysis"

And here is part of Ives response, I give him credit for culling the issue down to this honest observation and fault...

SBI-
    That's the issue with many of the post here, not that they don't pray at the feet of Adu but that they are almost always limited to focusing on the miscues rather than then the contributions, even finding fault with the "way" he scores or the intent of the assist. That is what leads to the negative back and forth much more than some expectation of universal appreciation of every move.

Tell me the negative "observations" don't sound like comments from this very thread. No player and I mean no player lives up to this type of expectation, ever.

1 person likes this.
  11. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you shut up already? Jesus. Aren't you ever going to get to college and discover girls? Or did you make your saving throw against adulthood

12. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th edition???

13. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    Where did this even happen? Not seeing it.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, back when I was in school, even the D&D kids were above soccer players in the pecking order.

15. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha!!! You outed me!!! Curses..:D

Man, must of sucked to be a soccer player back then.:)

16. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007

Hey, I remember some cold winter Saturdays with 3 best friends from childhood who didn't have to worry about looking cool to each other (All Metro QB, TE and a All State LB) playing some D&D, graph paper and all.

But our real game was Strat-O-Matic, Gorman Thomas, was my favorite player in that game, strike out or home run!

17. sffp1

sffp1 Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Virginia
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Careful or I'll get my Civil War Battlefield maps out and kick your @#% on anywhere from Shiloh to Antietam :)

18. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

A little typical Hypocrite.

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tommy:

We all know you're an Adu fan. We get it. But when you and your ilk "defend" his honor from legitimate neutral comments, you're no better than the Anti-Adu trolls.

IOW - Simmer the ******** down

20. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess your "deal" was only good with one poster.

21. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. It wasn't too bad - you never had to worry about being benched until you got into HS or travelling club teams. By that time, all the "soccer dorks" had our own circle of party places.

Of course, I get to look back at some of those guys now and guffaw mightily at how their lives have crashed and burned.

Was your sister (or your Mom) hot? Because they weren't there to figure out how to get around the traps in White Plume Mountain... :p

[​IMG]

Your like one of those guys that dresses up and marches at each other, ain't ya.

22. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep, there are real good reasons to stay away from a gameday thread after its a few days old...

23. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Nope, but I know it's hard for lots of folks to remember when there was no internet except pay by hour compuserve, Pong was on the cutting edge and folks actually had to use their imaginations. ;)

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WOW. You had pong AND the internet?

We could only afford the Radio Shack version of Pong

25. Bolo

Bolo New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    I didn't say I had it, I said it existed :)