EJ & Adu: Aris vs Xanthi 2/17 (Greek Cup Quarter-finals) 16:00 Greek/9:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I find it really interesting, that the guy who was there before him, Gracian, was one of the best argentine '10's in Mexico, and went back to Boca Juniors after his decent time i think with Monterrey. He had success in both leagues, and yet couldnt do much with the time he had at Aris. A player with that much experience, and how good he did in argentina, didnt amount to anything here! Yet freddy, a guy that people say is a bust, has basically no resume beyond his U20 performance, and playing very little at benfica has no instantly done more in 3 games that Gracian has had MONTHS to do! :eek:

These goals are from his time in argentina with Velez and Mexico with Monterrey.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0ra0P-pJY"]YouTube- Leandro Gracián[/ame]

Gracians 'Olympic Goal' aka goal scored off a corner.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8958ZpU211s"]YouTube- GOL OLIMPICO DE LEANDRO GRACIAN[/ame]

And he goes back to argentina, and is instanly loaned out to one of the biggest teams in argentina, Independiente!

2. ramonesmania

ramonesmania New Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
  3. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahahaha, you guys are batshit crazy!!! I love it man, you make my day every ********ing day now. Love the atmosphere!!! Pretty sweet.:D

4. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So can somone recap what games freddy has played so far?

5. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    1/31, at Skoda Xanthi, Superleague, subbed in 64' - 1 assist

2/10, at Skoda Xanthi, Greek Cup, starting lineup, substituted in 67'

2/14, vs Ergotelis, Superleague, starting lineup, substituted in 62' - 1 goal

2/17, vs Skoda Xanthi, Greek Cup, starting lineup, substituted in 67' - 1 goal

1 person likes this.
  6. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    hey guys, are torrents up yet? sorry didn't read through the 30 pages. tahnks

7. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki

:p

8. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Thanks bro!

9. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Pay attention to the 5:15 part. IMO the best coreo with our backs turned and jumping up and down. Madness!!! :cool:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGevMYM97wM"]YouTube- ????-????? (???????) 3-0[/ame]

10. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Loved Freddy's goal. Loved the run, loved the pass, loved that he finished it besides the difficult angle of the pass and the mud. As a one time goal poacher myself (a long, long time ago), I saw it as a thing of exquisite beauty.

I will tell you what the goal was not - it was not a goal that you score if you are playing not to make a mistake. Freddy is going for it and good things happen when just decide to have fun and go after it. You can do that if you have picked a club to play at that is the right fit for you as a player. I hope that his next club is as good of a fit as Aris.

Massive thank you to all the Aris fans for your honest assessments of Freddy and Eddie as players.

11. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two goals and an assist in 222 minutes. That's likely good enough to earn more playing time.

And Freddy Adu + playing time in a decent league is a very very good thing for American soccer fans whether they realize it or not. Landon Donovan won't be around forever...

12. Bite o' the Cherry

Charlotte FC
    United States
    May 3, 2006
    Charlotte, NC, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh man, my Dad got us season tix in the 69 season, and then came Shula. How can a 13 year-old ever forget 70,000 frenzied people waving white handkerchiefs? And then shortly thereafter the Houston Oilers co-opted the tune for themselves. My uncle is a Houstonian and he thinks Miami stole it from them. Hah!
    But I never did care for the song.
    Paul Warfield was my hero.

Anyway, for the rest of you, and back to topic:

Aris is a GREAT club and Freddy and Eddie are fortunate to have some time there.
    They will not disappoint, especially when the fields become playable again!
    EJ will have a decent career, and Freddy will become someone special - at least in the annals of Yank Footie.

Vamos Aris!

2 people repped this.
  13. Woodrow

Woodrow Member+

Dec 7, 2001
    Brick City
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Sure.

It's how the best athletes can slow down the game mentally. You don't have to be the fastest, quickest, best athlete to see the game quicker than other players. That touch he took indicates he had anticipated the goalie's reaction and was able to adjust for it in a split second decision.

14. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

15. gmonn

gmonn Member+

Dec 8, 2005
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    [FreddyVision] Does this makes the ball easier to see? ;) [/FreddyVision]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    It is just creeping me out.

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL It actually reminds me of the glowing puck technology that they used to use in the NHL several years back.

19. Bremas

Bremas Member

Sep 30, 2009
    The more I watch that goal the more impressive it is. Maybe I'm becoming a fanboy.
    He doesn't commit to it until he's seen it go past the defenders foot (prepared for a possible redirect). And he starts to celebrate by the time the ball is passing the 6. (he knew exactly what he was trying to do with it).
    All in all a damn good one touch into the back of the net.

[edit] Let's not forget the Beckhamesqe pass that set it up.

20. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Todays newspapers
    Last one is Athenian, so you can see how important is Panathinaikos Roma for them, and the quarterfinal of Greek cup.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

21. zapem_10

zapem_10 Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whether or not you are a supporter of Antoy, you have to give him credit for a good goal. Yes it wasn't a first time laser beam into the upper 90 but sheesh...I know a lot of you have played and how many of us would have shanked that or whiffed completely even when playing our best? Just to get a foot on it and re-direct it at the pace pros are playing at is no small feat...no pun intended...plus the angle the pass came in from and the distance it traveled...well done Antoy...

22. Lobooho

Lobooho Member

Jul 26, 2002
    Cali
    Yet somehow I just can't look away.

23. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Guys chill out with the goal! Pippo Inzhaghi scored goals like this for all of his career. Freddy has the same magic touch ;)

24. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great goal by Antoy. Beautiful subtle touch off a long ball just over the outstretch of a defender. Quality.

Boy, what a difference a month or so has made in the Adu saga. Getting out of that loan situation at Belonense (sic) is by far the best thing to ever happen to the kid. Let's hope it just keeps on getting better...

25. highlander

highlander Member

Nov 9, 2002
    Springfield, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. It was a really good goal poach. We need to get used to the fact that he is going to have to score a bunch of goals like that (or at the very least, set up a bunch of goals like that) if his career is going to be anything to be taken seriously.

And here is the problem. You have a bunch of people posting that it was lucky, then you have a bunch of people posting that "No. It was purposefull" then you have a bunch of people posting that it was amazing. Welcome to the world of BigSoccer and Freddy Adu. This is not unusual behavior.

I was one of the people that posted that I love the goal from the perspective of a goal poacher, but you really have to think from a bunch of perspectives about every possible way that people will interpret what you post. I may need to keep out of this for a while. It is like in Monty Python's "The Life of Brian" when Brian is trying to tell a crowd that they have become blind followers and that they need to stop following him. He says, "You need to stop following me!" The crowd replies, "We need to stop following you!" He tells them, "You need to think for yourselves!" The crowd replies, "We need to think for ourselves!"

Maybe there is a little too much adreniline and wishful thinking (in either direction) on any Freddy Adu thread. That's why I have been enjoying these threads - because of the posts by Aris fans. You just want Freddy to play well for your team and you are used to Aris' position in the football world. The problem with US fans are that we are like the adolecent who is ambitious and full of adrenaline, but short on experience - yet are not aware how short we are on experience. In fact, I would go as far as to say that is a good analogy for US soccer in general. We can surprise people, like we did at the last Confederations Cup or the 2002 World Cup, and we continue to gradually improve over time, but it is a roller coaster of a ride when everything is either the greatest in the world, or the pits of the universe - particularly when it comes to following the careers of our young stars, but in other things as well.