EJ & Adu: Aris vs Xanthi 2/17 (Greek Cup Quarter-finals) 16:00 Greek/9:00 ET

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by nick_3f, Feb 15, 2010.

1. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010

One of th biggest problems with US Soccer is that most in US Soccer don't seem to know who they are themselves.

Misguided? Uninformed? Desperate for approval and in need of perfection?

Who knows, but I guess it's what you call growing pains.

2. gemini3

gemini3 New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Unfortunately, the first leg is at our home. But if we play as today, it will be much easier.

3. gemini3

gemini3 New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    The atmosphere was so hot in "Kleanthis Vikelidis". Although, I have seen much hotter atmosphere than this.

Freddy's goal seemed as in TV. Instantly, I thought that this opportunity would not be a goal, but fortunately i was proven wrong.

Many fans after the soccer match went to Aris' basketball team match and continue singing.

Finally, you can hear our hymn (the newer) again.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8UdcAUa8yg&feature=related"]YouTube- ARIS YMNOS FULL[/ame]

p.s. We have no national team in curling:D.

4. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I was waiting for you guys to calm down a bit. You're overanalyzing things imo.

Now about Freddy's goal, wasn't something extraordinaire, but he scored, again! It doesn't have to be "nice". And he's not C.Ronaldo or Messi to do some magical stuff. If he was he wouldn't be playing for us now. But he's still 20, do you guys have many 20 year olds that can do the stuff he does? It was a big mistake bringing him to the scene at the age of 14. Now you excpect too much from him. Was Donovan much better at that age? It is obvious that Adu is a gifted player, there are some aspects of the game that he needs to work on, but he has all the time in the world to do that. He's still one of your most promising players.

Enough with that stuff though. If I had to compare his performances against Ergotelis and Xanthi, I'd say that the one against Ergotelis was slightly better. Although our pitch didn't help him a lot (truth be told it was a mess, that non-stop raining damaged it, but it'll be perfect again in two weeks). A goal, some nice passing, pretty good cooperation with Arano defending the left flank, an all in all a good performance. If I had to evaluate him I'd give him a 7. Let's hope that he keeps it up.

Now about EJ I'd say the same thing. His performance against Ergotelis was better. Today's performance wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. Eddie has the tools but he doesn't know how to use them properly. Although he does use them just not in a perfect way. I'd give him a 6 for his performance today.

Also, note that EJ has some strong competition in our squad with Koke and Campora.

Anyway, congrats to your guys for helping our team today! The first game of the semi finals will be on 3/3 against Kavala at home. It won't be easy, but we're Aris, we don't want easy :p

Next game in the league is against AEK away at OAKA stadium. They're one point ahead of us, a win there would be a big step closer to the play offs. We did it last year, we can do it again! VAMOS :)!

1 person likes this.
  5. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    You seem to know about football as much as I know about baseball (several guys run for a small ball while another one hits it with a bat...)

6. fightingswans

fightingswans Member

May 31, 2007
    vermont
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    great pix and video, Aris fans...thanks!

7. aveslacker

aveslacker Member+

Ajax
    United States
    Apr 2, 2006
    Old Madras
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. TheNightmanCometh

Jan 25, 2010
    Repped.

9. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    March 3? If true, then the Adu and EJ fans are going to be furious when they both miss the US friendly against the Netherlands on March 3.

Especially the Adu fans.

10. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    :rolleyes:

Vamos!

11. Blustar

Blustar Member

May 30, 2006
    Club:
    Miami FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Love the Aris Hymn!!! :D

I'm going to try and learn it on guitar ( I teach guitar) and see if I can make an "electric" version.:eek:

The song reminds me of our silly song we've sung for the Miami Dolphins since I was a little boy. ( I remember wearing out 2 records)

Miami has the Dolphins the greatest football team
    We take the ball from goal to goal, like no one's ever seen
    We're in the air we're on the ground, we're always in control
    And when you say Miami, you're talking Super Bowl!!!...

hahaha, of course this is when we used to actually go to super bowls and win one or two...

The games get more and more important, time to strap it on.

12. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    let's hope we don't have to cope with such problems for the cup...:confused:

13. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that date correct? Aris will play a semi-final on an International Fixture date? (I guess MLS isn't the only league to do such things). If so that is unfortunate as many of us were eager to see how Adu would play vs the Dutch but more importantly its unfortunate for Adu himself as I think Bob needs to see him play with the USMNT.

It is what it is I guess...

14. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Is it true we play at 3/3? I thought its not announced yet? www.Epo.gr doesnt say anything

EDIT just checked it Greece plays friendly game against Senegale. SO we dont play semi finals at 3/3

15. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fantastic for both Adu/EJ and us USA fans.

16. Kalamaria

Kalamaria New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I think I read it somewhere, but now that I'm thinking about it (and trying to find where I read it) I'm not really sure. lol I'm getting delusional...

17. schrutebuck

schrutebuck Member+

Jul 26, 2007
    Phew, this would be a relief. Many of the same posters that were going nuts at each other in this thread about Adu's performance and that do so in every Adu thread would be going crazy if the semifinal and Netherlands friendly were on the same day. Danger averted.

Congrats on the wins today in this game and the basketball game!

18. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    the hymn is actually the one heard in this video...but it's not complete...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az1nAVWLSeQ"]YouTube- Makis Natsis (Mparou)[/ame]

19. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    You can say this is the basketball Aris hymn and the other the football one.
    This one is not played at all last years. Boemis one is at every football game.

20. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGevMYM97wM"]YouTube- ????-????? (???????) 3-0[/ame]

I m sure you ll love 2:33

Video will be HD, still processing

21. Drippingmilk

Drippingmilk Member

Jul 30, 2008
    If he keeps getting on the pitch, you'll likely see some magic.

22. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    This is the original hymn...

Boemis' song is a song for Aris not the hymn...:cool:

historian-3 :p

23. Winoman

Winoman Drinkin' Wine Spo-De-O-De!

Jul 26, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's possible, but I think he got a purposeful touch on it.

If you notice the ball played to him was hit with a nice back-spin.

After Freddy played it, it had a lot of top-spin. If it had only accidentally hit him, or bounced off, I think the ball would have died right there, or stayed close by for the GK to grab.

24. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jesus Christ you bastards, who the ******** cares. It's a ********ing goal.

Celebrate it

25. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    /thread