EJ & Adu: Aris Salonica vs Panathinaikos 24/1/2010

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad Gameday' started by aris-salonica, Jan 21, 2010.

1. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duFAZiCrfOI"]YouTube- ???? - ??? 0-0 (09/10)[/ame]

2. vponce75

vponce75 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 16, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whatever. MLS is not as good as they think and not nearly as bad as you think. Also, that's not an MLS All-Star team. That's an MLS American squad (picked and trained poorly). An MLS all-star team would have several really good foreign players on it.

Anyway, looking forward to the next Aris game...hopefully we can talk about EJ & Adu and not pointless Greek vs MLS discussion.

3. jas2781

jas2781 Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're probably right. But personally until MLS improves it's showing in International competitions I won't be singing it's praises.

Anyway back to the game, I still don't know how the keeper saved Johnson's shot.

4. Missionary

Missionary Member

Jul 13, 2003
    Mission Viejo
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS goal here:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0crhc-5ous"]YouTube- Robbie Rogers Goal[/ame]

5. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been around these boards for a long long time .... I am not trolling - I am sick and tired of US players unwilling to work their butts off - players like Mcbride and Bradley jr. and Friedel and Reyna and Howard and Dempsey do what it takes to improve the reputation of US players abroad with effort and maximal professionalism .... EJ is a waste of athleticism. He is lazy. Yes I have been on Jozy when he has been lazy. Hopefully Brown will get the most out of Jozy and he will make a good impression over the entire season. You cannot expect mediocrity in effort from these players and expect them to help our overall collective effort make progress. If you don't like my criticism cest la vie'. I watched from the stands as young Freddy coasted on the field while Nowak watched the "prodigy" play. You are either moving forward or moving backwards - standing still gets you nowhere.

6. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most MLS teams only go about 9 deep. And in the last few years, the quality at the bottom of the EPL has gone up, while MLS rosters have been stretched by a lot of expansion. The league has some EPL level players in it.. and some guys who would be playing 2nd division in England at best (4th level).

As for that being an MLS all star team against Honduras, I doubt any of the starting midfielders would have made the bench of an MLS all star team.

7. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To summarize. Adu didn't play, EJ did but didn't score and some people are deluded about MLS and others have self-hatred issues. Thanks.

8. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    how many mls games have you seen?

9. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    More than 20. (thx to jtv :rolleyes: )

Some matches are impresive to watch (offence is not bad), but tactically and defensively they sucked.

10. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. Lets concentrate on the first two and move the discussion about MLS to the appropriate forum, please.

11. aris-salonica

aris-salonica New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Salonica, Greece
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Aris Salonica-Panathinaikos 0-0 @ Kleanthis Vikelidis, Thessaloniki

Stats >>

http://www.galanissportsdata.com/football/national/season2009_10/aetblgame.asp?game=150​

Photos >>
    [​IMG]

25,000 Aris' fans packed the stadium and created an incredible atmosphere
    [​IMG]

Aris' fans all hands up and shout "ARIS!"

[​IMG]

Nacho Garcia tries to avoid the hard tackle of Kostas Katsouranis

More photos here: http://super3.gr/gallery.asp

Videos
    >>

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duFAZiCrfOI"]YouTube- ???? - ??? 0-0 (09/10)[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mazcQXqKo"]YouTube- aris panathinaikos 0-0 (24-1-10)[/ame]

Τorrents
    >>

http://www.arismania.com/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=fc0e9cb46b5972b925b675c759841c134b523dc9

Evaluation of Aris' players >>

Sifakis 8 - Incredible performance by Michalis Sifakis. He was there whenever we needed him, he blocked a lot of difficult shots and eliminated all the threats caused by Panathinaikos' players.

Neto 5 - Poor performance by our right side back. He had a lot of problems facing his opponent, Christodoulopoulos and made several mistakes. In addition, he didn't manage to move up the flank as many times as in the previous games and thus, he didn't threat at all

Nasuti 7 - Solid performance by the Argentinian defender. He limited Cisse at a very high degree and blocked a lot of crosses.

Guiaro 6 - Not as good as Nasuti, but he was OK.

Arano 5 - Same as Neto. He lost his personal opponent several times and didn't threat offensively, either.

Prittas 7 - Ran a lot of miles, stopped a lot of balls, but didn't manage to feed the forwards. He didn't have the best coordination with his midfield partner, Nacho, but he gave his 100%.

Nacho Garcia 6 - He is still away from his familiar standards. He isn't ready to play for 90 minutes, especially against a team such as Panathinaikos, with a strong and solid midfield. He 's constantly improving and gradually getting his form back.

Calvo 6 - He was constantly marked by 2 players and given the fact that he played on the left side (his "opposite" side), he didn't manage to threat. He tried a lot, though.

Javito 5 - He couldn't move through the defenders and thus, he didn't threat. He was denied a penalty, though...

Koke 6 - He ran a lot in the first half but he was successfully marked by the defenders. He tried to make through balls but they were not exploited by Campora, Calvo or Javito.

Campora 6 - He was very "silent" but exploited the only chance given to him and created a real threat for Panathinaikos' GK Tzorvas. His shot was denied by the goalpost, depriving him from his 9th shot.

Johnson 6 - He played for less than 20 minutes but had the clear-cut opportunity for scoring. He was denied by probably the best block ever made in this season's Superleague. He gave a lot of body-to-body battles, won several headers but didn't mark his opponents as much as Cuper wanted.

Aravidis - He didn't play enough to be criticised. He made his first appearance this year.

1 person likes this.
  12. gemini3

gemini3 New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    This save of Panathinaikos' keeper, Tzorvas, was commented as "the save of the year" by the commentators of sports TV-shows yesterday.

Don't forget that Tzorvas and Sifakis, the Aris' keeper, are the two of the three keepers that are propable to be keeper of the Greek national team in the upcoming World Cup.

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    "6" is not bad, is it?

An average grade or slightly better?

How did Pana players grade?

14. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those pictures of stands alit with flares scares the crap out of me.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Greeks are highly resistant to fire.

16. mich-3

mich-3 New Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Athens
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    lmao...

:D

17. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    Greek fire you know :D

18. PPN13

PPN13 New Member

Jun 30, 2009
    A totally of topic question but why do you have Thrasyvoulos Fylis as a foe? :confused::eek:

19. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As opposed to witches

20. Reignking

Reignking Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sound funny. As funny as "Wuhan Guanggu".

21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Just finishing up wtaching this game.... aris' keeper is.... really GOOD! LOL

Had it not been for him they should have lost. Good game, good tie, EJ could have scored also taking them hom this win.... but yea.

22. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
  23. nick_3f

nick_3f Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Thessaloniki
    Club:
    Aris Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    The 2 Greek national Goalkeepers were playing in the same game :)
    Tzorvas made the SAVE of the year against EJ unfortunately.

24. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i cant emphasize my excitement about this move enough. When i heard the news i was completely in a "meh" state of mind. But the more i saw about how passionate Aris fans are about their squad, and their Europa hopes, the more thought this move couldnt be anymore perfect for these guys :). this is excatly what EJ and Adu needed.

25. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgive me, but how do passionate fans translate into playing time for these two ?

And moreover, how do the passionate fans teach EJ tactics and off-the-ball runs ? And will they keep Adu focussed on the training field and help him win 1 v 1 physical battles ?