EFL Cup - Arsenal V Blackpool

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by crazy150, Oct 30, 2018.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    84': Red card for O'Connor, the Blackpool goalscorer, for a pretty bad scissor tackle on Aubameyang near midfield.

Goes to VAR, upheld.

10 v. 10 for the rest of the way, probably.

BIGHMW repped this.
  2. IAH-Gooner

IAH-Gooner Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Houston
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Straight red for Blackpool player for scissor tackle against PEA

BIGHMW repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Aubameyang nearly scored, but is offside, and is nearly through again, but is offside. Then Ramsey is put through, is ruled offside. The female AR (whose name I don't recall, but she's the regular PL one), nailed all three calls.

Headed into stoppage time, SIX minutes!

4. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Think the middle one on Auba was wrong.

5. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Aubameyang's pressure forces a turnover by the Blackpool goalkeeper. In the ensuing possession, the ball is headed to Aubameyang for essentially a tap-in, but bull-headed Ramsey cuts it off and takes a horrific touch, killing the chance.

Despite that, Arsenal doesn't relinquish possession for another full minute, Blackpool never gets the ball past midfield before Arsenal recovers it, pass pass pass, final whistle.

2-1 final. Kind of sloppy, much like the weather, but a win is a win.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think his head was off. One of those calls that IMO shouldn't be offside, but probably was. Tough to tell from the replay angle provided though.

7. total_football

total_football Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ok game always in control not sharp in final 3rd. Cech was awful . Nice to see AMN back

8. SaratogaGooner

Nov 23, 2009
    Clifton Park NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the highlights on Youtube. That was a very weak performance by us with a pretty strong line up on the pitch. We needed a confidence building blow out and saw just the opposite. Liverpool may kick our asses. Cech looked terrible. Didn't come for balls in the area when he should have and almost another guffaw moment. I'd be lying if I said I'm not scared for Saturday.

9. casoccerdad47

casoccerdad47 Member+

Mar 31, 2006
    I don't relish Xhaka lining up v Salah.

10. Gunning4Chelsea

Gunning4Chelsea Member+

Aug 2, 2005
    chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed match but apparently czech tried to play with his feet

11. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that's what I thought at first. Because I assumed it was for the trip, which appeared accidental. But on watching the replay a few times, I decided that it was the grab that preceded the trip which was what warranted the yellow. Or at least you can see why the ref might've thought so.

It's a shame that he'll have to miss out on Liverpool which is our first really big test in >2 mos.

12. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah that little escapade just reinforces how Emery is foolish to make him play with his feet. IMHO. There's no rule that says every keeper on your team has to play the same way. They should play to their strengths rather than trying to learn new tricks at a rather advanced age. And the rest of our team is more than capable of adjusting their play and expectations somewhat, for different keepers and how they tend to play the ball out.

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  13. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think it makes sense for a club to have a consistent philosophy in terms of how they want their goalkeepers to play, but that's a thing that you implement over a few years, and you make personnel moves to make it happen. If you can't, or won't, sell a player like Cech, whose footskills aren't good, then you train differently ahead of matches in which he's going to play.

Asking Cech to play like Neuer isn't going to end well.

NorthBank repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sian_Massey-Ellis

I'm a fan of hers. She seems to be quality. And I love the fact that a woman has broken into the senior ranks of this behemoth which is the EFL.

BTW, in last Sunday's title-deciding NYRB-OCFC match, there was another lineswoman on duty. First time I recall seeing this in MLS.

BIGHMW repped this.
  15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Other miscellany:

On their goal, I thought Ramsey was pathetic. He like ducked down at the very moment he needed to be strong and challenge for the header.

Smart, healthy rotation once again...

Julio P as CB... I'll admit I've never heard of him before. But I also don't recall hearing his name called for any f-up's today. So there's that.

AMN great to see back! Where did he play mostly? I was doing work while "watching" so I missed a ton of details.

Jenks back too... after 2 years?! With his goonah history, I have a little soft spot for him. But not enough to think that he'll be figuring much for us in the future.

Lastly, why were our fans loudly booing any BP player who entered or left the game? Seemed a lot more pronounced than usual, but then again I was listening with earbuds so...

16. footykid

footykid Member+

Jan 10, 2005
    Mississauga, Ont
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The booing was mostly over how Gouzy was treated by the ref.

Ramsey looked pathetic, but given the news that came out yesterday I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

AMN was ok, not game shape obviously sucks because he had such a successful preseason.

Jenks seems fine tbh. He hasn't played first team ball in some time. But, I didn't expect him to embarrass himself or the team. And, I don't think he did. Played LB, and tbh Xhaka at FB can only last so long before teams target him.

A large portion of the starting 11 needs a rest, honestly I would have preferred to see even more of the youth players.

17. crazy150

crazy150 Member+

Aug 27, 2006
    North Cuba
    Na, wasn’t a strong lineup. Best player in the first half was guendouzi. We had Jenko and some guy I never heard of with leichsteiner and mustafi and a fresh off injury cech.

We did enough, ref was shite though. Blackpool didn’t even touch the ball for about the first 10 minutes.

Have to say, other than his goal I’m not that impressed with ESR. He seemed to want to drive at defenders but didn’t have the pace or tricks to get by any. Right place on his goal though so fair play.

AMN on the other hand looks like the real deal. He played at RF and was really good helping leichsteiner out defensively. His quickness is blistering. He has a few moves as well and I could see him being key for us in a season or two.

An inch or two on a few offsides calls and we’d have battered them 4-1 or so.

18. chjoak

chjoak Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to watch yesterday but I tend to agree. What I have seen of him looks unimpressive. Think he needs more PT. Would be best if we could find a good place to send him on loan next season.

19. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    he seems like he could be a halfway decent prospect for a striker. never saw anything before that would have suggested he would (should?) be an attacking midfielder and he showed why this game.
    can't wait for him to be fully back and in the playing rotation. if, uh, nothing else, i'd have more confidence in him at left-back than xhaka.

20. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    those were clear and easy calls as well.