Edwin Cardona news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by sidspaceman, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  2. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  3. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    thats the only way out of that place, perform well with the NT. This is why I don't like it when young players with potential go over there

4. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
  5. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  6. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the pessimist in me feels like they're going to make him go to Pachuca either way. Like when they made Alex Mejia go to Leon even though he wanted to stay with Nacional.

Azucarero repped this.
  7. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    It might just turn out that way. But I take this as very positive news regardless. I wasn't sure if the guy had the ambition to go to Europe; I do now.

8. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lo que yo espero es que no haya firmado nada, de lo contrario esta jodido.

9. Hovaaa

Hovaaa Member

Aug 6, 2014
    Boston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I want to see him in Spain. The guy has so much talent and is very important to the national team. I've noticed he is so calm in front of net, he is such a good 1v1 finisher and is so clutch. Having three players like that, James and Falcao, is so special. It's a rare ability to have that not even a lot of world class players have.

10. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Pachuca will be playing in the Club World Cup in December so they're looking to strengthen their squad for the upcoming season.

Cardona would flourish under a coach like Alonso if he chooses to stay in Mexico for another year, which would be ideal since we are only one year away from the World Cup. It would be a shame if he goes to Europe and fails to adapt immediately. It would be detrimental to the Colombian national team, IMO.

11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #486 Doogs, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    even if he didn't adapt immediately, he'd be maturing as a player. Staying in mexico to do the same thing again is a waste of time. Can see him stagnating if he stays there too long.

kromekote repped this.
  12. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    If he doesn't adapt then he won't play, if he doesn't play then the NT suffers.

Either way, Pachuca already confirmed what Cardona said. If he finds a team in Europe that is willing to meet Monterrey's asking price, he will go to Europe. Otherwise, he will return to Mexico to play for Pachuca.

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    standard risks for anyone who transfers, most of our players adapt pretty well.
    I worry about that asking price, probably asking for something crazy again. I'm hoping it won't screw up a transfer.

14. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    I'm simply questioning the timing. One year away from the World Cup is risky but it's also true that even if he didn't win any championships with Monterrey, his talent level is above LigaMX.

Monterrey will not let him go for cheap, that is for sure.

15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    im pessimistic about the situation. Idk who's going to want to pay 9-10m which im relatively sure is what they're asking for. They make it too tough for him to leave.

its true what you say about the world cup, I myself haven't really realized just how close we are to the WC. In my head 2014 was only last year.

16. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    The 2014 WC seems like it was only last summer, I know what you mean.

9-10 mill for Cardona in today's market is a very good price. There will be teams who are willing to pay that money but the only question is if those teams will allow the proper patience and let Cardona adapt to his new team and life.

What I was saying before is that if he doesn't find a situation in Europe that will allow him to grow at this moment, going to Pachuca will be the next best thing for him. Pachuca is in the process of selling Hirving Lozano and he will command a hefty price tag. No reason why Cardona can't do the same.

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Too old to keep wasting time in Mexico. He isn't going to get any better in Mexico. Going to Atletico Nacional for 6 months then getting a Euro transfer is a better option. The Mexican league is the Colombian league with more money. Heard that crap player Nacional threw away Hurtado was just sold for 9
    Million euros in Mexico. Sevilla offered 9
    Million for Izquerido that was voted best player in the Belgium league. Mexican league players are over priced because the teams there haha ton of $$$$

18. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    Yeah the Mexican market is over priced internally, not sure how that applies to European clubs that can and will spend that kind of money on Mexican players or South American players from LigaMX.

The 6 month loan to Nacional is not an option since Cardona still has a contract with Monterrey hence his only options are going to Europe or playing with Pachuca. Those are only two realistic options.

pepinointer repped this.
  19. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    how many years does he have left? on his contract

20. ...In my defense

Feb 11, 2006
    At least another year as far as I know. Two most likely.

21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    excellent news!

877189687902969856 is not a valid tweet id

Azucarero and crzdcolombian repped this.
  22. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He's ambitious. I've been sensing it for a while. He's been wanting to go to Europe for a while.

23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Should have never gone to Mexico then. Think his early issues makes teams scared to take a shot on him especially the $$$ Mexi teams want

24. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mexicans won't let him leave no ones going to pay 15 million for this kid especially because he doesn't even play for his team or is wanted by his coach. Stop sending young prospects to fking Mexico!!!!

He is going to have to wait out his contract. Teams interested are Boca and Sevilla. Sevillas getting Banega back for 9 million euros wtf would they pay 15 for a unproven player who isn't as good as Banega?

25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    you do understand that this is exactly the stage where Banega was at a couple years back. A player with 'lots of problems/attitude', 'expensive' for an unproven player and with his host club (Valencia) wanting to sell him to someone/anyone asap. He rebounded with Sevilla and was the workhorse MF they were looking for. To say Cardona is 'not as good' as Banega is as ridiculous as it gets. They don't even play the same position in MF so I'm not even sure where your comparison makes sense.

Doogs and J-Mezzy repped this.