Edwin Cardona news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by sidspaceman, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    that sounds terrible.

just like mexican "tamales"

2. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Lol they deep fry everything. Those empanadas are oozing with grease

Doogs and pepinointer repped this.
  3. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The best empanadas are Colombian. Hands down.

pepinointer, J-Mezzy and crzdcolombian repped this.
  4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    it does seem like it.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I hate Venezuelan arepas they don’t taste like anything. Fine you put stuff in it to
    Make it taste better but the actual empanada taste like sadness

6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Venezolanos use harina pan always for their arepas.........is like mc arepas and are super arrogants with that

7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I always feel like they have no variety with their food. Portions are rather small too. Its like an inferior version of our food.

jay luis and pepinointer repped this.
  8. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Another scored penalty

HomietheClown repped this.
  9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He looked very good.

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    When can he come back?

Want to see Cardona ——James——-Quintero :)

krass and Azucarero repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I assume in October but who knows?

As for those three guys on the field simultaneously, part of me wants to see it happen but the other part of me says there is no way we could make it work.
    Unless we put Cardona in the "Aguilar" position off the bench in a desperate measure type of thing. (Sort of like when he came in against Argentina in the 2015 Copa America.)

J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. SoyDelMustang

SoyDelMustang Member+

Dec 24, 2007
    Flushing,Queens
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    3 AM? Overkill, they’re all slow as hell too

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    James always seemed decently fast to me. He isn’t a speed demon or anything but not slow. Quintero and Cardona just seem like they are fat and have 0 stamina. Both things they can fix. Quintero is fixing his stamina thing

15. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Pretty much everybody thinks the exact same thing. However, we shouldn't forget that our front 4 for a couple years was Falcao, Teo, James, and Mac who were even slower.

Granted, a triple AM requires much more speed from the wing. They don't offer it, but the wingbacks can. We saw last night how great Juanfer can be on the right if he has someone dynamic to link with in Arias. We know James can play on the left, or wherever else you put him. Let Cardona play behind the striker and you'd have a guy who can act like a 2nd striker.

I don't know, I think it's worth an experiment

J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The way Cardona was being used yesterday was mostly on the left wing. I think he would be the one to be out there and flourish while James would be the one drifting towards the middle.
    I don't think it could work unless it was a second half sorta thing.

As I said in the other thread though I am not a fan of Arias in the final third. very rarely does he beat his man for a decent cross or a decent shot. His play has frustrated me for many months now.

Azucarero repped this.
  17. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #842 Baal88, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    There are no more real options yet so unless Arias gets an ACL injury or a Broken leg he will continue playing.

I do agree with you about the fact that he isn't as effective as he should when he goes forward, and I actually like his runs.

kromekote and J-Mezzy repped this.
  18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup, as I alluded to in the other thread I expect him to start come Copa America due to lack of options.
    But back to Cardona....
    ....His role may be best suited as a super sub with Cuadrado.

19. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Arias is wasteful in the final 3rd, no denying that.

However, I feel like if you replace him you'd be losing essentially what we lost when Armero stopped playing. Their pace is what frees up our attacking mids to get space on the ball and pick out passes. To me, Arias is invaluable.

As for Cardona, I think you have to maximize everyone's abilities. He plays mainly on the left for a couple years now, but he really hasn't looked consistently great there for Colombia. His best matches came when James was unavailable or when he subbed in.

James can play anywhere. We know this. His best position is where he has complete freedom to do what he wants. However, this strategy does not convene a lot of other players. I had been crying for Cardona to play in the center of the trio consisting of him James and Cuadrado for years. Pekerman never moved James out wide again until this WC for Quintero's favor. And that payed HUGE dividends.

In international competition, you're getting about 60% of what Cardona's capable of when you play him on the left. He's simply too far from goal to take shots and too slow to make up that space quickly, unless he has a very good wingback supporting him. I'd rather take James at 90% capability on the left and Cardona where he's comfortable than nullify everyone else's game.

Quintero continually plays well on the right for River, though not as a traditional winger, thus I think it's worth it for Cardona to finally get a shot in the center of the pitch...

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am hoping some surprise mystery RB turns up out of nowhere but that is just a daydream.

The one game Cardona played well on the left was the Ecuador match in Barranquilla. They could not contain him and his fancy dribbles and jukes. And we know his cross led to Perez's golazo.
    And I am encouraged by what I saw of him on the left for Boca.

I see where you are coming from with your analysis but I just think you are complicating things trying to fit James, Cardona and JuanFer on the field at the same time. I think we would be more dangerous trying Duvan with Falcao and having James and Quintero behind them.
    Or eventually someone like Cucho with Falcao.

Azucarero repped this.
  21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cardona plays on the left but he doesn't play as a winger, he's like a false winger. For some reason Schelotto refuses to play him in the middle, however in Mexico they would do the same thing sometimes. This is why Cardona "disappears" sometimes in games for Boca

Azucarero repped this.
  22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    False winger.
    I like that term.

23. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I don't consider it complicating if we have no official games for a year. There's time to experiment.

But yea, finding Falcao's strike partner is a priority. I liked him and Zapata together before, we should try and see if James and Juanfer alone behind them suffice. We've gotta have as many attacking strategies and options as possible so we don't default on 3 DMs when there's an unforeseen variable.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We have a couple games in October. We have March FIFA dates and maybe one or two friendlies in May/June before going to Brazil.

I personally think there's better experiments with lineups to be seen before we see those three start together. But that is just my opinion.

25. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Cuadrado has played that role before and as he gets older it may be a better fit although I can also see him doing one of his 1000 stepovers and losing the ball and compromising the defense altogether.

Azucarero and HomietheClown repped this.