Edwin Cardona news & comments

Discussion in 'Colombians Abroad' started by sidspaceman, Dec 16, 2014.

1. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So what your sayin is he played better than umtiti?

J-Mezzy repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    All the Colombians on both teams were neutralized for the most part.
    It was a battle of two very good teams and arguably the two best teams in the tournament.

An honorary Colombian in my eyes (Guerra from Nacional) had a nice assist though. :p

kromekote repped this.
  3. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Borja wa subbed off pretty early I thought. The ball wasn't getting much to him. I wonder if Cardona was playing with injury the whole time. Not only not effective, he was just not 'in the game'. Fabra looks like a ball of nerves so many times in critical games that sometimes lead to bad decisions. Hope he kicks that anxiety out of his system for the WC.

4. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Barrios had a "meh" game too. Had one defensive play where he kicked it right to a Palmeiras attack deep near his goal. Luckily for him though the guy shot the ball way over into the stands or else Barrios would have been the goat of the match.

5. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    he had a brace and was grabbing at his hamstring when he came off, likely he had at least a tight hamstring. All the Colombians were neutralized, Fabra made the pass that broke the lines, or the pass before the assist that lead to Tevez scoring. The defender screwed up dealing with it, but nonetheless it was a good pass into space that troubled the defense.

kromekote repped this.
  6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
  7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  8. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    El gordo is clutch :)

Furnaccio repped this.
  9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    HomietheClown and pepinointer repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cardona had an assist too.

Fabra played very well. If we can get that Fabra to show up in Russia, watch out.

11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    more bad cardona news, mexicans trying to bring him back.
    good thing is I believe Boca have an option to buy at the end which im relatively sure they will take and I think Cardona is very happy at Boca and would not want to go back.

oh and Mohamed, he has left Monterrey rumored to sign for Celta Vigo in Spain.

12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    What makes you so sure they’ll keep Cardona? Keep in mind that the 4 musketeers are likely to be broken up come next season. It will help Cardona when they will get good money for Barrios and a boatload on Pavon. They don’t have a clear replacement for his position.

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    because he's been part of their starting 11 all season, Has scored several key goals and is an important player for their setup. I don't think Pavon matters whether he stays or not.

14. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Boca is a factory for building and selling players. I've watched Boca, like man, simply because of our 4 Colombianos. But to be fair he's had some streaky moments in both directions. He hasnt been entirely consistent and the press has been on him about that a lot (specially that loss in the Supercopa Argentina vs RP). As I said, Boca doesnt have a replacement for him or Pavon and I dont think they can afford to lose both. That being said, with major dollars for Pavon they have the luxury of signing on some good replacements.

I recall talk about a contract extension in the terms so they may not have to buy him just yet and see how he plays out. How much is Monterrey asking for?

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    This guy has the worst luck. I think we couldve gone deep (at least made the finals) in the Sub 20 2011 WC had we had Cardona on board. I dont care so much about the non-futbol reasonings that have been posted about Cardona as much as I wish that if he was discarded it was because there's a player that's better than him at that position. JFQ in my eyes, doesnt fulfill that expectation. Or his spot technally now Izzy's spot?

CZD mentioned a word that describes Cardona perfectly: Clutch. That's what he has brought to the table in MANY matches. While JFQ has an amazing left foot and can exploit gaps with pinpoint accuracy, so can Cardona and also offers Clutch goals. Kinda bummed for the guy. Thank goodness we have a deeper pool of players for this WC.

Furnaccio, crzdcolombian and J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think it was relatively cheap, somewhere around 5m or something.

17. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i think it was 12 million. It won't be cheap.

kromekote repped this.
  18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    also, I read recently Espinoza and Junior Benitez are both leaving.

19. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I thought they paid something already when they loaned him?

20. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I think usually when on loan you mainly pay players wages and if it's a marquee player you may end up paying some additional premiums. But th whole idea of a loan is you get to test out the material before you commit.

21. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They wont buy cardona........they only want to extended the loan option........

no possibilty that they will buy him

kromekote and Baal88 repped this.
  22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    that sounds a lot more reasonable. Unfortunately for Cardona, the WC may have given Boca the incentive to buy the player they can flip for a profit.

pepinointer repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree for the most part.

However, Cardona was not clutch the last 4 games of qualifying or the Asian friendlies. (Or at least he did not look all that great.)

There is no guarantee that he would have woken up and played great in June. Especially after being suspended and away from the team for so long.

Cardona has all the talent in the world but I have always known in the back of my mind that he would screw up some how. He just does not have the maturity or the mental discipline to match his God given talent to be a super star.

Hopefully he learns from this comes back stronger and helps lead us to a Copa America and World Cup in Qatar.

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    But neither were his current WC replacements as they werent even being considered to battle it out during WCQ. Those asian friendlies I take with a grain of salt. Even James left early.

I can see him calling it "quits" for good for the NT and saving himself any future headache...surely as long as Pekerman is at the helm.

Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i wonder if Cardona and Aguilar got in a fight over who would wear the #8 jersey - that's probably the straw that broke the camel's back....