Edgar Castillo at Monterrey

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Sebsasour, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    From most US fans, I think it has more to do with the fact that Liga MX games are still pretty foreign and harder to follow for non spanish speakers. That can also be said for some US MEX based guys.

Castillo has had a great career/time with Atlas and in the past Tijuana. He was CRUCIAL for TJ in the libertadores when they had a strong run unlucky to not eliminate the eventual champs, Atl Miniero in PKs. He played a big part in that. Unfortunetaly not many US posters probably saw those games or watch Libertadores overall because of it's lack of english coverage.

He will continue to have a great club career--but his issue is the translation of that club form to the NT. He looks like he regresses as a player when he plays for the NT--and I think it's two parts.

A. He is used to playing on teams that have better grasp on short, tight, passes with work up play and possession which at time we have trouble building with the NT.

B. He lacks the confidence out there when with teh NT unlike what he has in Mexico where he knows what he can do, and hs the proper support to do it

Too many times I see castillo when he has played for the USMNT do short passes expecting a quick give and go only to make that run from LB to never see the ball again or the other player to misunderstand and lose the ball.

CTS26 and USAMEX10 repped this.
  2. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    I don't disagree with any of your points...offensively he brings a different mindset than we are used to, no doubt about that. But his problem with he NT is about his defense.

3. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't disagree with that either.

It's just, under teh USMNT his flaws--specificdally his defecienies are more prominent under teh US because he doesn't have th e right support, high pressuring back line that he gets out of the teams he normally plays on that shift to cater to his runs frmo the LB position.

For teh US he's a fish out of water that has to struggle with that, and I feel is one of the reasons his flaws look so much worse than in Mexico.

4. 1-6-3

1-6-3 Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Castillo is interesting, on technical ability alone I'd wager he's at the top of the pool. Yet most of the times I've seen him, those plays would never end in anything except when he passes correctly. I consider him needing longer strides than what he would get as a midfielder. Therefore I only see him in any variation of 5 defenders (curiously he fits Mexico better...) otherwise you need to commit one defensive midfielder to his side.

All in all I still consider you get more offensively from Castillo than say Garza, yet you also risk more. As a wild card I still see him in the picture.

5. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Notes on Castillo's fall campaign so far ...
    • First pro field player I've ever seen wearing jersey #1
    • Has still played every minute of every game
    • Atlas continued to show great improvement, finishing tied for first on points (ended up 3rd)
    • Also won 1-0 in the first leg of a quarterfinal in Monterrey yesterday.
    I share people's concerns about his limitations, but I still suspect that he belongs somewhere in the national team picture right now.

6. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I agree. I would try and play him as a wing forward in a 4-3-3.

Parmigiano repped this.
  7. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Atlas fell 2-0 at home in the second leg, so their season ended in the quarters. Castillo didn't appear to be at fault on either goal.

8. autobus39

autobus39 Member+

Jun 28, 2006
    Scranton, PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Castillo went the distance as Atlas started the 2015 Clausura with a 1-0 road win against Tigres.

Highlights

Atlas will take part in the Copa Libertadores starting in February. They were drawn into a group with Atlético Mineiro, Santa Fe, and Colo Colo.

During the 2014 Apertura he made 19 starts and scored a goal. He also made 1 start in the Copa MX.

Tom Collingsworth, DeCoverley and (TxT) repped this.
  9. Salmos

Salmos Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Club:
    Pachuca CF
    This guy's quickness has seen its best days. He was completely owned in all three goals today in a 3-1 final score against Pachuca. I suppose in his defense our wingers are really fast but the disparity was huge.

JJV1994 and Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Today he mainly defended, with Atlas dominating the game but Santa Fe scoring on a defensive error. Losing their first game, and at home, against the weakest rival on paper, is probably the beginning of the end for the Foxes in Libertadores.

11. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I caught about 20 minutes of the second half of this one and I'm not surprised about the result you posted. Atlas was dominating offensively but severely lacking that final pass and Santa Fe was playing counter ball and doing it rather well. Edgar was invisible, which is good for a defender, save for his horrible attempt from distance and one instance where he completely forgot his man behind him but was very lucky that the man with the ball didn't see it either.

Tom Collingsworth and Winoman repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    In the end Atlas had fewer shots (10 to 11) and not a single shot on goal (Santa Fe had 3), even though they had 63% of the possession. They never looked like scoring, actually.

Possession may be the most misleading statistic.

13. sweethome_bama

Jul 21, 2013
    Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just went 90 as Atlas got a historic win in Brazil vs Atletico Mineiro in Copa Libertadores. Atl. Mineiro hasn't lost at home in Libertadores since 1978.

Scotty, Gacm32, Winoman and 1 other person repped this.
  14. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full 90 for Edgar in Atlas' massive 1-0 Copa Libertadores win over Atletico Mineiro in Brazil

Gacm32, USA All DAY and Winoman repped this.
  15. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Don't think we've seen the last of Castillo for the NT....

Winoman and USA All DAY repped this.
  16. Borrachin

Borrachin Member+

Feb 28, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    NT players have always said that even though he is small, he is feisty in training and is hard on tackles.

17. LaxAttack

LaxAttack Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He went 90 and had an assist in Atlas’ 1-0 win over Atlético Mineiro in Copa Libertadores yesterday.

Testudo, Sebsasour and Hararea repped this.
  18. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Maybe a second time around will prove better fit for him? With our more 'touch friendly' backline of Brooks, Alvarado, Yedlin, Shea, Fiscal, he ca find his form?

Shame--I think he would have been a monster yesterday in place of Garza.

Borrachin repped this.
  19. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    In a showdown of Yank LB's, Castillo's Atlas beat Garza's Xolos 2-1.

Garza scored the opener, but it was Castillo who had the last laugh. He helped set up the gamewinner by dribbling past three defenders and then switching fields to the player who got the assist.

20. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Testudo and Hararea repped this.
  21. Bolivianfuego

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Joe Corona rumored to join him with their old coach from Xolos, Turco Mohamed at Monterrey.

Hararea repped this.
  22. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014