Eddie Pope

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by soccerdome, Aug 8, 2002.

1. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

The man's a great defender & all, but is it just me or does he always looked worried. I mean, I've never seen him smile or laugh, or anything. No emotions. Playing or not. Even @ the AS game he looked worried. :0

2. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any particular reason this bothers you? I only ask because you look worried. (I'd put a smiley here to show you I was joking, but I'm not sure how).

3. soccerdome

soccerdome New Member

Re: Re: Eddie Pope

No, but it's just sort-of scary. Like, what's he hiding?

4. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He first got interested in soccer from watching the Monty Python bit on the football playing philosophers and he still psyches himself up by contemplating the dialectic. Hence the furrowed brow.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie is painfully shy. He may have a bit of a social phobia. Nevertheless, he is really a super nice guy.

6. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002
    Pope

Yeah he weas a shy/quite kid playing for Winston Salem/ High Point back in the day as well, it just makes it clear to me why I don't think he can vocally captain a team, he struggles with just his defense at times. But not everybody that is a great player is meant to lead.

7. ShadowNC

ShadowNC Member

Apr 25, 2001
    Rocky Mount, NC
    He had a pretty big smile after the first MLS Cup.

8. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    One hyphenated word.

GAME-FACE

9. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Zach Thornton is worse. He looks constipated.

10. gibby_03

gibby_03 Member

Feb 22, 2002
    Ohio, USA
    I love Pope's demeanor 'cause I can relate to it. I'm the same way, focused, just a little shy perhaps. Nothing wrong w/ that. Having that game-face on in the All-Star Game was a bit much though, I must concede. When they panned to him in the introductions, and RFK went crazy, he just calmy turned and waved. I was thinking, "Eddie, smile man, you're public adores you!"

To each his own. Don't change what you really are.

11. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Its hard for a defender to smile. If you make a nice play, so what? The next time the opponents have the ball, a mistake by you can lead to a goal.

12. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    For me, a great parting moment of the MLS all-star game was after the game seeing Goos and Pope walk off together. Those two have seen a lot together and my guess is that after Goos got hurt in the Poland game, Eddie was the most concerned.

13. Choch

Choch New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    South TX
    That's true, and that's just his personality. That's the way I look, but inside im thinking all this things and am really excited. I just don't show all the time.

14. BallStateMiddie

BallStateMiddie New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nashvegas
    He's not a man, baby. He's a friggin machine.

15. andylovesoccer

Sep 2, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    .....and the second.........and the fourth........

not much to smile about on the club front lately, though

16. railguitar

railguitar New Member

Sep 23, 1999
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Eddie Pope impresses me as a serious young man who has a lot of potential outside the soccer world as well as within it. Can't say I see him smile quite as much, but he reminds me of Joe Dumars.