Eddie Johnson...[R]

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by CyphaPSU, Oct 13, 2004.

1. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson now has four goals in his first two caps. Has anyone ever scored that many goals in their first two caps with the USMNT???

2. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island
    Re: Eddie Johnson...amazing start

he and ching up top will be unstoppable in qualifying

3. LittleMaradona

Feb 25, 2001

I don't know for sure, but I would seriously doubt it.

4. GalacticoX4

GalacticoX4 Member+

Jun 2, 2004

I totally agree. He should start with Ching or even McBride. But the truth is Josh Wolf scares nobody at the International level. I like him but he's just slow and for the National team he doesn't attack or shoot. Johnson will beat people and will get behind them and unlike Wolf or McBride when he's on the ball people think something could happen. You know that feeling you get when you see say an Henry or a C. Ronaldo on the ball. Everyone goes Uh Oh! Why cause they are dangerous. And Wolf isn't dangerous Johnson is. And today proved it but many people have been saying it all year.

5. wonderman

wonderman New Member

May 13, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I must say this is one of the happiest days in my life! USA dominated and EJ scored a hattrick! I know it's only panama but what a great game!

6. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, I think EJ should definately start over Josh Wolff now.

7. Newman

Newman New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    Madison, WI

For WC Qualifiers it is never "it's only such and such a country". You put away goals and celebrate them. Jamaica would love to be able to say "it's only El Salvador"....

8. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA

I will defend Wolff somewhat.
    First, he is definitely NOT slow.
    Josh makes good runs and opens up space and can get others into good positions to score. Tonight, he did a lot of the work for Donovan's first goal.
    I think he does scare defenses, and this is why they pay attention to him.

That said, he doesn't always have great finishes... but I think there is definitely a role for him.

I don't think Arnaud scores nearlythe number of goals he did this year without Josh as a teammate.

Now, Eddie Johnson has gotten into good spaces, and he has put away almost every chance he's had.
    Great job by Johnson, I've been hoping for this from him for so long.

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He should start over anyone on the frontline. Forwards are there to score. We have no forwards who are scoring EXCEPT EJ. all of our goals are coming via midfielders ......... Beasley and Donovan mostly. The truth of the matter is not only does Wolff not scare people (he had a good game tonight), but neither does Ching or Casey. Imagine EJ and Buddle up top with that combined speed. OUCH!

10. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I would like to see Eddie Johnson play in a match where the other team isn't pushing the attack completely. "Grown-ass man" showed he can break an attacking defense by running into space, I want to see him create against a more defensive team. He won't always get to come on with a 2-0 lead.

He had a fantastic game though. Very nice.

11. rkeane15

rkeane15 New Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Portland, OR

great two games from ej. he scored a great hattrick, and he could have had 4 if beasley wouldnt have been called offside on that awful awful call.

12. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree. Great to see EJ score goals, but I'm waiting to see what he can do when the score is level and he's not coming in as a fresh sub against an exhausted backline.
    Still, I think he has a great future ahead of him.

13. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thank you. I brought a friend who was at his fourth soccer game EVER, and he was asking me "Why is that offside?" I had no answer.

14. Agogwe

Agogwe Member

Sep 12, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's funny. If you get to see a replay, Beasley was so incredibly NOT offside, I'm not talking about being level with the defender, he was clearly behind him.

Most of the stadium probably felt the same as you did.

15. fischerw

fischerw Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    Joplin, MO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If this were a just world, Eddie Johnson would be a household name by tomorrow evening. But it's the US, so the most we can hope for is tonight's game being given an actual write up in tomorrow's papers rather than just a boxscore. Great job, Eddie-- I hope Bruce starts him up top with Ching against Jamaica-- Jamaica may be in a place where they need not only a victory but a margin of victory, so hopefully that would leave their defense porous (or "more leaking" as John Kerry said tonight, in competition with Rob Stone) for Ching and EJ to exploit.

Now, as for Wolff, I also think he still has chops-- remember, he created the winning goal tonight. What about playing him as a midfielder from time to time?

Great, great performance tonight.

16. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm justing waiting for the day that EJ and Buddle play up top with DOnovan as AM...

17. xanthippas

xanthippas Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Jun 8, 2004
    Bedford, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I had the pleasure of watching the game live tonight; Eddie Johnson made this relocated Dallas Burn fan pretty damn proud tonight. He made the goals look easy, but the truth was he was in the right place at the right time, and that's what being a good striker is all about. He deserved all three goals he got tonight, and I hope he keeps it up in the future. I'm not sure I'd start him over Wolff; he seems to have the most power coming out as a sub. But maybe Arena can give him a shot at it and see what he does with it.

18. jeffenbauer

jeffenbauer Member

Jul 17, 2002
    dallas, tx

Are you sure it wasn't just a "grand diversion"?

19. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember telling my buddies back in the mid 90's that in the near future we would eventually have young men of color that grew up with the beautiful game and that they are out there as 11-12 year olds right now but eventually they would be coming up thru the ranks.
    In my wildest dreams I invisioned a speedy grown ass man like EJ. But to bag a hat trick in his 2nd cap with such a cunning and classy performance while in a WCQ is what a career of greatness could start off with.
    Who knows...by June of '06 we could see an attacking 5 like this

----Buddle---EJ
    DMB---Lando----Adu

Wut up world!!!

20. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000

Ditto's. If Dallas aren't in MLS Cup (not likely) I'd like to see EJ get the start against Jamaica. That would be a good game to guage him, as EJ will be playing to qualify...

21. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Johnson played a awesome game! Enjoy watching him while we still have him playing in MLS. He will be playing somewhere in Europe in the near future.

22. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    '10 the same except with Adu in the middle and Donovan on the right. Probably not Adu in '06 either, but who knows. I'd think Gaven would have a better shot at it.

23. thehands1616

thehands1616 New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    little island

exactly wolff is not a scary player anymore i think he has lost a step...

as far as e. johnson looking like henry or c. ronaldo lets not get ahead of ourselves he is a big, strong, fast and skilled player with a lot of potential. conor casey must be hitting himself right now for all of those missed opportunities...

24. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer

Mexico will disagree with you. Unless of course his excellent performances against Mexico in BIG games really didn't happen. :D

25. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO

Umm.. I am not a big fan of his, but if you are going to criticize him, dont go after his speed. That is a strong point of his. HE is one of the faster players (especially forwards) we have..