Ecuadorian Flag or Colombian?..a quick note.

Discussion in 'Ecuador' started by Guayaquileño, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've seen a few comments saying that people wave Colombian flags at Ecuador soccer games. (this is mostly from gringos and others)

Well here I am to clarify it. The Ecuadorian flag can either be with the coat of arms (el escudo) or without it. In Ecuador many people actually fly the one without the escudo as well as the one with it, it makes no difference to us. They are both Ecuador flags and are official. As long as it has yellow, blue and red (amarillo, azul, y rojo) you know its Ecuador.

More Ecuadorians may use the one with the escudo here and abroad to differentiate it from Colombia's which looks like the our flag version with no escudo. This is done especially in games involving both countries where it is common sense to do so.

The reason Ecuador's and Colombia's flag look the same is because we refer to each other as "pais hermanos" or "brother country" because we have a common heritage. This is because at one point we used to be one country.

I hope that the public has been educated on this topic... now go along with talking FUTBOL !

:D

2. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    incorrecto
    la diferencia esta en al cantidad de amarillo que cada bandera utiliza!

3. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    para ser exactos, la bandera del Ecuador lleva mas amarillo tanto como de la de Colombia como la de Venezuela. Los otros paises reparten en partes iguales los tres colores mientras en Ecuador es mas amarillo. No estoy seguro pero creo que la mitad debe ser amarillo.

4. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The top half of the flag is yellow, as is the one of Colombia. The second half is divided by red and blue, unlike Venezuela (that has the stars streaming across) the colors divided among equal parts. What is correct is that all three countries as well as Panama were once part of a country called "Gran Colombia" during the early 1800's.

5. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yes, you are exactly right

ecuardorian and colombia have the same division of colors, half yellow, and the other half between blue and red....the ecuadorian escudo is different for the colombia, obviously, but what sets them apart is that when the colombian flag has the coat of arms (escudo) it is surrounded by a white circle, i believe ecuador's isn't.

[​IMG]
    Ecuador
    [​IMG]
    Colombia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Flag_of_the_President_of_Colombia.svg
    link to Colombian Presidential Flag (only used for ceremonies where the president is present)

6. juanse_moncayo

Jul 29, 2004
    Columbus OH- Ecuador
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    La diferencia es que lade Colombia es Amarillo, Cyan y Magenta..jejeje...:D

7. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Entonces no hay diferencia entre las banderas de Colombia y Ecuador cuando no llevan sus respectivos escudos? :confused:

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    NOPE!!!

9. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    claro que si

la de colombia es mitad amarillo y el resto es dividido para azul y rojo
    la de ecuador divide los 3 colores en partes iguales!

10. Pibe#10

Pibe#10 Member

May 1, 2003
    ArmeniA
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    efer, la de ecuador tiene los colores dividos iguales a la colombiana, lo unico que cambia son las proporciones del la bandera, la de ecuador es dos veces mas larga que alta (o sea una proporcion de 1/2), mientras la de colombia y venezuela son 2/3 mas largas que altas.

The Ecuatorian flag is very similar to the Venezuelan and the Colombian Flag. This happens because these three nations (under the names of Guayaquil, Venezuela and Nueva Granada) formed, back in the 1820s, the Great Colombia Republic (GCR), and then adopted the Mirandinian-Venezuelan tricolori. The ratio of this flag, however, differs from its sister flags: it's 1:2, whereas the Colombian and Venezuelan flags are 2:3. The civil flag wears only the tricolori, the state flag, as happens with Colombia and Venezuela, also sports the country's Coat of Arms. In 1860, Ecuador adopted the flag we know today.

http://www.allstates-flag.com/fotw/flags/ec.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    estas incorrecto... La bandera de Ecuador tambien le da al amarillo la mitad de la bandera y divide azul y rojo en partes iguales. La unica bandera que divide el amrillo, azul y rojo es la de Venezuela.

12. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought I was clear on this...:rolleyes:

13. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    gracias por la aclaracion grafica

estaba tan seguro de eso....bueno, solo 20 temporadas equivocado!

14. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lol... it's cool bro.

15. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    entonces ya se porque colombia jugaba un tiemp con el uniforme de holanda

16. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Te pasas de huevon efer, I knew this since I was 5 y/o. :D :p

17. SankaCofie

SankaCofie Member

Aug 8, 2000
    Skorgolia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    man. i'm embaressed.. I always though the Ecuador flag had more yellow on it than the Colombian one. I guess it is just Venezuela that divides it differently.

18. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I did too. And it wasn't education in history, geography or currnt events that made me aware of this, but the wonderful sport of "futbol" that taught me this a few years back during a Colombian game (or the Copa America held in Colombia).

19. efernandez9

efernandez9 Member

Jun 6, 1999
    Joe Pool Lake
    not long ago..... I am sure!

20. superfrantheman

superfrantheman Red Card

Nov 11, 2006
    Olvidados de Dios
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    bueno ya cierren este thread total a mi que me interesa que si tienen escudo negro, rojo total es la misma bandera

asi estamos mejor no se pongan a dar catedra de historia de ecuador o colombia

21. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y usted de donde es?? no es de ninguno de estos paises... entonces no hable sobre cerrar este thread... si alguien quiere informarse sobre este tema entonces dejelo.. no le afecta nada a usted..... okay.

22. Guayaquileño

Guayaquileño Member

Dec 3, 2006
    New York City
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took a double, no... a triple take on this one... I was in the fifa site reading on the female's championship and I was like wait a minute, if it wasn't for the words put on the flag it would be an Ecua flag.

[​IMG]

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that is indeed the Ecuadorian flag. Must have not been able to find a Colombian one...

[​IMG]

24. FARFAN 17

FARFAN 17 Member

Jan 29, 2005
    Back in NJ :(
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Esa es la bandera colombiana con un escudo, naval?
    La bandera ecuatoriana (el escudo) es muy diferente.

25. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thats right, this is a Colombian one...and the one those kids are holding up is the Ecuadorian one.