Ecuador v Colombia ( Eliminatorias )

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by crzdcolombian, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    The amount of several new faces in each call up is probably already taking its toll.

We're loaded in central midfield and in defense. The only other guys to call in would be attackers. Falcao, Izquierdo, and Quintero are injured. Pardo, Berrio, Castillo, and Copete have all been tested, and none of them were particularly convincing. Who's left? Chara? Teo? Roa?

Crzd criticizes and offer NO solutions or thoughts.

2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hate when we play in rain. Just associate it with losses to Chile and Ecuador in the 2010 cycle...

3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes but this time it'll also hurt Ecuador and they are also the favorites. They play technically more than physically so rain will be awful for them while we will settle with a draw.

4. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I would play with Ospina ; Arias, Mina, Zapata, Armero ; Sanchez, Aguilar ; Cuadrado, James, Cardona ; Duvan

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like that lineup.
    Don't know if Pekerman would put it out there but I like it.

pibe10 repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I hate it too.

But at least the team has been practicing in rain at altitude the last few days in Bogota. Maybe that will help acclimate? :p

7. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Co-signed.

Furnaccio and pibe10 repped this.
  8. JPAcolombia9

JPAcolombia9 Member

Oct 27, 2006
    #58 JPAcolombia9, Mar 26, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    http://www.winsports.co/futbol-inte...i-tiene-un-buen-funcionamiento-quinonez-70536

Sounds like Ecuador is going to do something similar to what we did against Bolivia. If we bunker up, they'll wait it out and strike at the right time. If we go there and attack, they'll exploit any spaces left open. Sounds pretty straight forward to me.

I think a line up like the one Pibe10 put up would be great because it has balance. Thats something we haven't had for a long time. Lately we either field a defensive line up or an attacking line up; nothing in between. We'll probably bunker up and hit them on the counter. I'm positive we're gonna see 2-3 defensive mids.

r(1).jpg FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    Unless he wants to copy Conte and go with a 3-4-3 :eek:. Zapata, Mina, Murrillo back 3, Armero, sanchez, aguilar, arias in the middle 4, James, Duvan and Cuadrado up top. James could play on the left, or drop back in behind duvan/cuadrado in a triangle of sorts.

9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If Cardona starts (or plays in general), would it make more sense to play him in a central role and james on the left?

I love it when james/cuadrado switch sides throughout the game. Creates more opportunity to wear down the defense.

We are going to have a totally different type of game on Tuesday where our defenders will actually need to defend and Ospina may need to save a shot or two ;)

I like all the detailed analysis regarding Pekerman. I totally get it that he has been dealt with a tougher hand and probably nobody else could have handled it better.

I do go back and forth with on his coaching status.

I just hope

1. If Bacca starts, he makes his presence felt. He's been MIA far too long
    2. Whoever is in the deep midfield, really focus on short, quick, calculated passes and
    3. No long balls unless it's to cuadrado so he can skin a defender or two
    4. Keep the cheeky chip passes to a minimum.
    5. Everyone to concentrate on creating space and passing the ball to where the player needs to be...not where he is.

Looking forward to Tuesday!

10. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    definitely THE game. Looking at Ecuador's schedule vs ours
    Armero would worry me a bit. He had a good 1st showing but I just don't see him tracking back. He's better than Fabra but defensively Diaz is a bit more disciplined. And we're not going to be playing back and forth in the altitude. They use the flanks to exploit their rivals and I fear Armero would just leave that door wide open on his side, which just happens to be their strongest asset with Valencia. Cardona has a wicked shot but I don't expect him to also have more than 60 minutes of any box to box play. If possession and power is key, he's the right guy though.

11. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I dont get 2 million to coach a team and follow our players. He can have friendlies he choses not to. Osorio offered to play us on a non fifa day and we said no. Also the mexico v Costa Rica game. Osorio was missing 5 of his main option at winner and he still found players. You people are still making the Falcao and Abel excuse 4+ years later.

For all of you saying we are using new guys

our starting 11
    Ospina - 2007
    Armero - 2008
    Zapata - 2008
    Mina - fine 2016
    Cuadrado - 2010
    Sanchez - 2007
    Macnelly - 2007
    James - 2011
    Uribe - 2017
    Bacca - 2010
    Muriel - 2012

So other then 2 guys the rest of the these dudes have been of the team for 5+ years.... so WTF are you people talking about.... rotation

and boo hoo Falcao .... falcao falcao..... we havent had him since Jan 2014...... that guy who couldnt run, dribble or do much of anything wasn't Falcao....

Sanchez offers next to nothing attacking in yellow. I have seen him for club plays much better but its been 10 years stop calling him. Macnelly is a pecho Frio..... I don't even think he is as good as la princessa Gio Hernandez. Most over rated colombian player all of time. 10 years of shitting his pants when we need him stop calling him !!!

As for the colombia league barely watch it. But Santa fe v Tolima was the final... where are the players from those teams getting a shot. DIM v Junior was the other 2016 final... where are they getting shots? He doesn't seem to follow the league and before people shit on the league. Colombia won the last 2 Sudamericanas and the last Copa Lib. That seems like he should give league dudes a bit more love

12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If we ever get back two functioning wing backs to aid in attack, there is also a worth while question of pushing James further up almost as a second striker as we did in wc2014.

He's played deeper into midfield ever since...but with c4 nearing form, aguilar and armero back...

We scored a ton off of james playing closer to the box in brasil...

13. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Unfortunately things have changed for the worse since 2014.

This was the Monaco version of James who was runner up to Zlaton for MVP for Ligue 1, not James the bench warmer for Real Madrid.

14. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Crazy - you lost the right to ask anyone wtf they are talking about like 8 years of nonsense ago. Save it.

You are talking past the point in the post above. Its less about managing in new players than managing through the absence of or huge drops in form of key assets (injury/retirement - yepes, zuniga, aguilar, valencia / off form - minia, c4, falcao, teo) - ain't easy. And we are in qualifying position.

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That James also took the last couple of games of ligue1 off to rest and prep for the tourney too...

16. JPAcolombia9

JPAcolombia9 Member

Oct 27, 2006
    846140077243875328 is not a valid tweet id

According to this Antonio Valencia will play in an advanced attacking role rather than rb as he has been accustomed to at United since they rate Paredes over him at rb. Our defense is gonna have to be on point. They're gonna have an abundance of speed in attack as expected.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I mentioned in another thread that the last time we played Ecuador in Quito he had 3 CBs out there (Aquivaldo, Yepes and Perea) So it might be an option he considering this time around too.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We need to put shots on target cause their keeper is so insecure. Add in the rain and things could get really slopply out there.
    SO maybe starting Cardona would be best for this type of match.
    He seems to make Keepers bobble the ball from long distance more than any other player on the team.

Furnaccio and ryu79 repped this.
  19. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #69 Flipmode2000, Mar 27, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Looks like this was the last lineup that practiced in Bogota

Ospina
    Arias MIna Zapata Diaz
    Abel, Sanchez, Daniel Torres
    Cuadrado, James
    Borja

20. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Which Torres?

21. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Daniel

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    People keep saying it's a different team and ton of new guys and rotation. I just showed almost the whole team is pre2012

Only 2 dudes from last year. Yet you guys all keep making the new guys don't know the system when everyone in the starting line up except 2 have been on the NT for 5-10 years.

23. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali

That is a total a la Contragolpe formation. I guess parking the bus we shall go.

24. Flipmode2000

Flipmode2000 Member

Feb 28, 2012
    USA -Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I guess we gotta play with their desperation and take advantage.

25. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you are partially correct but missing out on the bigger picture.

we have gone through 40+ players already in this WCQ campain vs 28 in 2014 WCQ's per the beIN commentary last game.

i broke down by position (starters only) who started in each position throughout the qualifiers:
    i don't want to get into the subs used but that will likely add more new faces to the list..

GK
    Games 1-13: Ospina - no issues with Ospina (although worried about quality of backups)

CB: Each game has featured primarily Zapata, Mina, or one of the Murrillo Brothers. if WC was today - Zapata, O/J Murrillo and Yerry would be my go to guys - i would not mind if a combo of either 2 of those started. Davinson has tons of future upside; no issues with CBs
    1 Cristian Zapata; Jeison Murillo
    2 Cristian Zapata; Jeison Murillo
    3 Cristian Zapata; Jeison Murillo
    4 Cristian Zapata; Jeison Murillo
    5 Jeison Murillo; Oscar Murillo
    6 Cristian Zapata; Oscar Murillo
    7 Jeison Murillo; Oscar Murillo
    8 Jeison Murillo; Oscar Murillo
    9 Yerry; Oscar Murillo
    10 Yerry; Oscar Murillo
    11 Yerry; Oscar Murillo
    12 Davinson; Jeison Murillo
    13 Yerry; Cristian Zapata

RB/LB: Arias has been our steady guy on the RB and LB has been the Diaz and Fabra show; is Armero going to be permanent? Hard to tell for now. The situation here is definitely not as strong as Zuniga/Armero for 2014 WCQs but i think it's critical to have a LB that can help originate ball posession (think of these top LBs: Joan Capdevilla, Roberto Carlos, Marcelo, 2014 WCQ Armero, Howdes/Lahm)
    1 Arias; Fabra
    2 Arias; Fabra
    3 Arias; Fabra
    4 Heliburton; Fabra
    5 Medina; Diaz
    6 Arias; Diaz
    7 Medina; Diaz
    8 Arias; Diaz
    9 Arias; Diaz
    10 Arias; Diaz
    11 Arias; Diaz
    12 Arias; Balanta
    13 Cuadrado; Armero

DM: Here's where a big part of the problem lies. Carlos Sanchez has basically been the most consistent player to feature here. His DM partner has been a rotating door between 7 other players (Guarin, Mejia, Celis, Perez, D. Torres, Abel and Barrios); no consistency and club fitness/form makes things worse to establish any rhythm with the ball

1 Guarin; Carlos Sanchez
    2 Guarin; Carlos Sanchez
    3 Alex Mejia; Carlos Sanchez; Dani Torres
    4 Alex Mejia; Dani Torres
    5 Celis; Seb Perez; Dani Torres
    6 Seb Perez; Dani Torres
    7 Dani Torres; Carlos Sanchez
    8 Barrios; Carlos Sanchez
    9 Abel; Carlos Sanchez; Barrios
    10 Abel; Carlos Sanchez
    11 Abel; Carlos Sanchez
    12 Barrios; Dani Torres; Carlos Sanchez
    13 Carlos Sanchez; Mateus Uribe

AM: Another key problem. Every game has been a different combination of attacking mids with James, Cuardrado, Muriel, Cardona and Macnelly all starting at various times.

1 Cardona; Cuadrado
    2 Cardona; Cuadrado
    3 James; Muriel
    4 James; Macnelly
    5 James; Cuadrado
    6 James; Cuadrado; Cardona
    7 James; Muriel; Macnelly
    8 James; Muriel; Macnelly
    9 Cuadrado; Muriel
    10 Cuadrado; Muriel; Macnelly
    11 James; Berrio; Cardona
    12 James; Cuadrado
    13 James; Muriel; Macnelly

Striker: Bacca has basically been our go to guy up front and he only scored in 2 of 13 games so far (Ecuador and Bolivia - how ironic); lack of service, inability to finish; tendency to disappear in games all come to mind here. Teo, as much as i love the chuck norris references seems to be a 2014 fad that has been over for quite some time. Jackson is in China somewhere; Borja/Duvan are too green to evaluate their NT performances and Falcao has had a long road to recovery with various setbacks (recent injury)

1 Teo; Bacca
    2 Teo; Bacca
    3 Jackson
    4 Teo; Bacca
    5 Bacca
    6 Bacca
    7 Bacca
    8 Bacca
    9 Bacca
    10 Bacca
    11 Borja
    12 Falcao
    13 Bacca

i actually like this list and will update this periodically....

Azucarero, ryu79 and kromekote repped this.