Ecuador en Copa America 2011- Argentina

Discussion in 'Ecuador - National Team' started by damnecuadorian, Nov 11, 2010.

1. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Copa America Argentina 2011
    July 1 - July 24

Group B
    Brazil
    Paraguay
    Ecuador
    Venezuela

2. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY
    Re: Ecuador in Copa America 2011

:mad::mad::mad:

3. gymclasshero

gymclasshero Member

Aug 25, 2008
    KCMO
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

we are so ********ed.

4. ecuaboy12

ecuaboy12 Member

May 18, 2005
    Lehigh Acres FL
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Naw we'll prob win the whole thang.

5. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

Who wants to put money on Rueda surviving after this tournament?

6. Argentine Futbol

Argentine Futbol Red Card

Feb 21, 2003
    Old Greenwich, CT
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina

I'm game. I'll take that Bet. If Rueda loses every game, he'll still be the coach. Firing him would mean the FEF "EATING" that salary..and than have to hire someone else.

7. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Come on guys, are we really that Intimidated by Paraguay and Venezuela? I mean I know Paraguay has been so consistent in the last 3 qualifiers but we have always given them a pretty good fight, am I crazy to think that a match between Paraguay and Ecuador could go either way?
    Venezuela, I am the first to admit that they've had our number the last 4 matches but have they really surpassed us in Futbol? I mean they have improved so much but so have we right?.....right:confused:

8. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito

Well without a doubt we might be able to pull off a tie with Paraguay and maybe a win against Brazil, since Brazil always starts the Copa America by losing a game in the first round. Venezuela I say we can pull off a win, without a doubt I think that Venezuela will probably be last in the group, hopefully:confused:.

But, ya its a tough group.

9. LDU4ever

LDU4ever Moderator
    Staff Member

Liga de Quito
    Ecuador
    Nov 21, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I don't really think we can discredit Venezuela whatsoever. Those guys will play with a chip on their shoulder...the fact that they don't get respect the same way we didn't several years ago. Brazil is Brazil and will most likely run the table. The rest of us will be fighting it out amongst ourselves.

10. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

I agree and I totally give Venezuela the credit it deserves, make no mistake they are a direct rival now but i dont think we should have doubts on whether we could beat them, same goes for Paraguay, I just think that we have a chance to beat them both, I'm not saying I'ts a sure thing but..we can bring a fight to this.

11. jv9008

jv9008 Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

It depends what order we play each other. If Ecuador plays Ven, Paraguay and then Brazil while Brazil and/or Paraguay are still fighting for points its going to be tough.

But seriously Brazil AND Paraguay, argh what the hell??

12. damnecuadorian

Mar 11, 2007
    SF & NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Rueda's first three competitive matches are going to be against the same teams from LFS's last three matches:

2010 eliminatorias:
    Round 1: 1-0 loss to Venezuela
    Round 2: 5-0 loss to Brazil
    Round 3: 5-1 loss to Paraguay

It just seems like a bad omen. :(

13. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito

You have a good point, my only conclusion to Venezuela not succeeding is the group they're in minus us since we play poorly against them now. I say they'll come out last because look at their stats against Paraguay, only three wins and no discredit to Paraguay because they can stand firm against strong opposition, but before a the 2010 Eliminatorias they weren't as prestigious as they are today. Paraguay only recently started becoming a hard team to face in the qualifiers, their other fnishes since the all vs all teams format since it was placed in 1998 was about average minus 2010. In 2002 they barely qualified, uncomfortably in 4th postion same in 2006 again suffering but passing because of goal difference.

My point being if Venezuela couldn't beat them in their average moments I doubt they can in their strong form they are today. Ecuador on the other hand I think can at least managae a tie from them. Against Brazil I'm not too sure, but seeing as they performed mediocre in the group stage three years ago and in 2004 as well, they might give us a slight advantage. But i'm not to sure on that one. Let's just hope we can finish as a third best team because we will need a miracle.

14. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

With Rueda as the DT we aren't going to win a game. We only beat Mexico lately and that was because they were going through a DT change and stuff. All the other games we've played we lost. Rueda is terrbile DT!

That is a tough group and I really don't see us coming out from there at all. From what I saw on the news we play Paraguay first and Brazil vs. Venezuela. :(

15. Luigi408

Luigi408 Member

May 16, 2010
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

BTW in the news I saw here in USA they didn't even mention Ecuador in group B. They called it the "El Grupo de la Muerte." They said Brazil is favorite then comes Paraguay and Venezuela is going to be a tough team. They didn't even mention Ecuador. Thats sad. I just don't see us winning any matches, really tough group.

16. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Doing horrible in the Copa America would be an awful start into the Qualifiers.

From now, til the Copa America Ecuador's number 1 mission to Find the ideal pair of center backs and start giving them playing time together for the remainder of the games we have. It's upsetting Eduardo Morante wasn't called up but I think with Mina and Guagua at the level hes at now, we can find that pair. Campos and Jefferson Hurtado gotta step it up.

17. The Machine

The Machine Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Club:
    Emelec Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Well we know the order of teams that we will play. We will play Paraguay first and we should prob play conservative and go for the tie. Then we play Venezuela and obviously go for the win-Venezuela plays Brazil in their first game BTW which is bad news for them. And finally we play Brazil in our last group game and obviously go for the tie and pray that Brazil secured a berth for the next rounf by beating Venezuela and Paraguay convincingly. I mean I think we have a shot. If we go into th tournament with our top players in peak physical condition and form, guys like Valencia, Noboa, Montero, Arroyo, Benitez, W. Ayovi, and Elizaga and someother guys step up then we have a chance. What I think is imperative is we find two centre backs and stick with them for Christ's sake. Obviosly I will like to see Morante and either Mina, Guagua, and Campos-hopegully he finds a spot on Mineiro. Hurtado also has to step up and play well.

18. mac-0n3

mac-0n3 Member

Sep 6, 2006
    Toronto,Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

Fuk. Im usually optimistic but this group does us no favors what so ever. The only bright side is that last time we played Brazil....We looked like Brazil, until the end of the game but yea. Paraguay is always tough and we do poorly against Venezuela. Top two advance right?

19. barcelonista1981

May 16, 2007
    GUAYAQUIL
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

2 best 3rds advance as well, pretty much only 4 teams stay behind after first round.

20. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

I wouldn't worry about English-language press. They don't even know Ecuador is a country. They know Venezuela because of Chavez and Miss Universe.

I've seen articles where Jefferson Montero is referred to as Venezuelan, others where he is Colombian.

In South America, we are still above Venezuela. Period. They haven't ever finished higher than us in qualifying, they've never played in a WC. We have more important players on prestigious teams. They have gotten good results against us recently, but they always benefit from the fact that they have less pressure to win. It will be different, for example, if they are in the qualification zone and they need to beat us to stay up. How would they handle the pressure of being a favorite? They've never been in that situation - we can't tell.

There is a reason Maradona mentioned Ecuador when he was talking about other South American teams that could have been in South Africa. I doubt he is a big Ecuador fan, he just recognizes like most people that we are always a contender.

21. pepe pancho

pepe pancho Member

May 30, 2009
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Liga de Quito

Well one things for sure, Americans have to be one of the most ignorant people ever. I live in Canada and I swear we know more of other people's cultures and countries than the friggin self centred united States. The united States are to into the smell of their own farts that they can't realize that other countries exist around them. How stupid can they be not to mention Ecuador I mean lets list some things Ecuador is known for, The Galapagos Islands where Charles Darwin based his evolution theory from, we're one of the leading exporters of bananas in the world, we lie on the equator, we once held one of the most prestigious Empires in the Americas along with Peru,Chile, Bolivia, and Argentina(The Inca Empire, Prince Atahualpa hence the name to el Olimpico Atahualpa Stadium in Quito). I mean I take pride in all of these things I think the states are just pretty much retarded at knowing anything knowledgableabout a country besides bikini clad babes and government issues, Godammit their retarded.

22. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

i was born in the states, grew up in the states, and i admit everything you say is true. It's just the way the american culture is. It's proven that the american mind set is "i am superior to other cultures and beings". It's a given fact world wild. I could care less if the US knows of the existence of Ecuador or not. The US doesn't care for any other country world wild as far as futbol. They know of the existence of the top European clubs and the best national teams that are historically known.

As big as Argentina and Brazil are, go ahead and ask an American futbol fan if they know of Sao Paulo, Boca Juniors, Independiente, Estudiantes, River Plate, Velez Sarsfield, Santos, or Internacional. Bet you they know 20% of what your talking about. It's just the fact that Copa Libertadores and the Champions league are promoted differently. the promotion of each league has a different market segment. And the only reason a US immigrant, or fan in general, keeps up with the Libertadores or any tournament that a south american club particpates in is because of Foxs Deportes/en Espanol.

go ahead and ask an american of the existence of any of these teams, and you'll probably have a heart attack from the surprise that they know nothing of these club teams with such historical tradition. Most that say "Messi's a ********in beast, omg omg Messi this Messi that" dont even know where Messi's origins are from as far as club status goes. all that the know of is that Messi's played in Barcelona all his life. They know nothing of his historical background period besides that he's argentinian.

One of my friends thought Antonio Valencia was Italian...can you believe that? I was about to smack him.

23. Primitive Ways

Primitive Ways Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Florida
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Ecuador Copa America 2011 Thread

Group A
    Argentina
    Bolivia
    Colombia
    Japan

Group B
    Brazil
    Ecuador
    Paraguay
    Venezuela

Group C
    Chile
    Mexico
    Peru
    Uruguay

There's still a while to go and I cannot wait any longer. If the rumors are true of Ayovi going to England, Valencia coming back, Chucho being top scorer in Mexico, Noboa getting some Champions League experience. Do we have a chance of doing good this time?

24. b9d23m89

b9d23m89 Member

Jun 27, 2004
    house on the hills
    Club:
    Liga de Quito
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador

i think its possible that we'll see a difference in this Ecuador compared to the previous one we saw in the last qualifier. The Ecuador under Vizuete's direction was probably the most devastating attacking team we've been able to put together, but the least effective one of the last decade. Our defense was weaker than any previous defense we had in the last decade as well. What Ecuador lacked was the goal. I think this Qualifier scoring isn't gonna be as much of a problem, and the way things are going it seems like the scoring issue is slowly being solved. The main point Rueda has to work on is the central defenders. Rueda has to do what he can to find the ideal pair of center backs and stick with them. Until now, I can say our best guys for that position are Isaac Mina, Jorge Guagua, Eduardo Morante, Jairo Campos, and Jefferson Hurtado. If Rueda can create a solid pair with any of these guys, then our chances of being in Brazil 2014 are pretty big. I think our midfield will be stronger, possibly even stronger....BUT we'll lose Edison Mendez, a key guy in the midfield that has been able to score goals, assist, and lead. He's a complete midfielder that knows how to attack and defend (something uncommon in most of the ecuadorian players). I don't see another guy like him and the ONLY player in Ecuador that has a style similar to Mendez is Miller Bolanos (you can see it in his dribbling, his passing, and definitely his shot), although he doesn't pull back to defend much. But Miller is definitely someone who i think could influence the NT strongly in the upcoming Qualifier.

25. Manolo

Manolo Moderator
    Staff Member

May 14, 1997
    Queens, NY

I agree with everything except I think Noboa is a natural successor to Mendez. He only got his chance during the last few games of the last qualifiers, and he took them. This time around will be his chance for the team to revolve around him, like we did around Mendez last time.

It will be interesting to see how Rueda incorporates Mendez. He's still got a few good years and he is an intelligent player that doesn't need to rely only on speed. Right now I think the starting 11 includes Noboa and Mendez in the center, unless Quiroz can step up on the NT like he needs to.