ECNL ongoing debate......

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Soccerhunter, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    #1 Soccerhunter, Jan 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
    OK. Let's not clog up other threads for the periodic eruption of ECNL wrangling. Recently, the Hot Seat thread has taken a big dose, and formerly there was a big eruption on one of the college threads. Same argument continues.....

Just to bring us up to speed, I'll copy some of the stuff from the Hot Seat thread to get us going....

SEE BELOW:
    1. They are obsessed with ECNL because that is EXACTLY where the talent is. Yes, there are a smattering of teams and players outside ECNL that can compete, but you have to be blind to not see the difference in quality. Not to hijack this thread, but simply take a look at the recruiting spreadsheet and you will see top ECNL teams placing all of their players D1 and the non ECNL quality clubs placing 3 or 4. Not to mention the invites into National team camps

Glove Stinks, Monday at 11:42 AM Report
      #381 Rep Quote
      go T repped this.
    sec123 Member
    1. Joined:
      Feb 25, 2014
      Club:
      Arsenal FC
      shoot2thrill said:
      GVSU entire team is D1 Talent!! ... D 1 is overrated. And they are recruiting 2-3-4 years out. Not to mention obsessed with this ECNL Which absolutely does not showcase the Nations best talent so a lot of kids go unnoticed. Just my humble opinion
      First off, as I happened to have seen a number of the kids on that GVSU roster who played in my neck of the woods, they are decent players and could compete with some of the directional schools in the state. They were not considered the top talent in the state by any means - but the directional D1 schools in the area don't have a rostered filled with those kids either. D1 talent? Okay, sure. Top talent - no way! As far as the ECNL not showcasing the best talent in the country? Please tell that to the 400 or so college scouts that were at the latest showcase so that they don't waste their time.

I do agree with your last statement of some kids being under the radar and unnoticed. Not unique to girls soccer.

sec123, Monday at 3:34 PM Report
      #382 Rep Quote

2. Soccer2345 New Member
      Club:
      FC Barcelona
      Having watched teams at both events ECNL and Disney I would say there were a few teams that were good enough to compete with top Ecnl teams. But overall there is no comparison between Ecnl and other events and other leagues.
      Seeing the amount of coaches at the Ecnl event compared to Disney the proof is in the pudding.

Soccer2345, Monday at 4:30 PM Report
      #383 Rep Quote

3. Soccer2345 New Member
      Club:
      FC Barcelona
      Tophat from Georgia
      NEFC from Mass
      Legends from California

These 3 clubs are the best of the rest not in the ECNL.

Soccer2345, Monday at 5:49 PM Report
      #384 Rep Quote

4. Lensois Member
      Soccer2345 said:
      Tophat from Georgia
      NEFC from Mass
      Legends from California

These 3 clubs are the best of the rest not in the ECNL.
      The list is longer than that.

Lensois, Monday at 5:53 PM Report
      #385 Rep Quote

5. Eddie K Member
      Move on folks, this has been discussed here often. The same good kids come from the same good clubs they always came from. They are just in a league now called the ECNL that the Clubs created to increase their prestige and profit by controlling everything their players do.
      Entire geographic chunks of the country don't have ecnl clubs and so many kids can't get to or afford these expensive brand-name clubs. That has also always been true and good coaches know this. Lazy coaches are like cattle and will follow everyone else down the well-worn path so they look like they are "in the game" trying to recruit good players. Some coaches show up to watch the same ecnl teams for a 5th or 6th time just to be seen at these events and collect fliers. Some of them hate it and can't stand recruiting 15 year olds and their parents and get out (i.e Waldrum).

The smartest coaches know it helps to have kids from the brand-name clubs but also that they need to look everywhere for good players and never be surprised where they might find one....but there aren't as many smart coaches out there as you think.

Eddie K, Monday at 9:12 PM Report
      #386 Unrep Quote
      You, Tommy Collins and Morris20 repped this.
    6. [​IMG]
      Soccerhunter Member
      I went looking for the ECNL thread that was active, but can't momentarily find it.....

I usually agree with Eddie K about 90% of the time, and this is one of those cases. Remember that the the ECNL is a very recent development which was designed and set up to garner prestige for the clubs involved by showcasing talent more conveniently for college recruiters. There is absolutely no developmental reason to have a national travel league. And the remaining percentage of top notch players who have not been swallowed up by ECNL prove that point.

FWIW, ...on Eddie's point about non ECNL players on D-I teams, allow me to use as an example a D-I team that has been ranked in the top 10 in the country over the short life span of the ECNL. In 2012, 7 of 11 entering freshmen had no ECNL affiliation at the time of their commitments. In 2013, 5 f the 12 freshmen had no ECNL affiliation at the time of their recruitment. (2 of the 5 joined ECNL teams for their senior years after committing.) In 2014, 5 of 7 freshmen did not play ECNL when recruited.) Looking forward to 2015, 2 of the 5 commits have no ECNL affiliation. All this is by way of saying that the ECNL has not yet scooped up all of the talent and the top coaches know it and, presumably, Hot Seat coaches should be paying attention..

Soccerhunter, Yesterday at 1:28 AM Report
      #387 Quote
    7. [​IMG]
      cpthomas Member
      United States
      Soccerhunter said:
      I went looking for the ECNL thread that was active, but can't momentarily find it.....

I usually agree with Eddie K about 90% of the time, and this is one of those cases. Remember that the the ECNL is a very recent development which was designed and set up to garner prestige for the clubs involved by showcasing talent more conveniently for college recruiters. There is absolutely no developmental reason to have a national travel league. And the remaining percentage of top notch players who have not been swallowed up by ECNL prove that point.

FWIW, ...on Eddie's point about non ECNL players on D-I teams, allow me to use as an example a D-I team that has been ranked in the top 10 in the country over the short life span of the ECNL. In 2012, 7 of 11 entering freshmen had no ECNL affiliation at the time of their commitments. In 2013, 5 f the 12 freshmen had no ECNL affiliation at the time of their recruitment. (2 of the 5 joined ECNL teams for their senior years after committing.) In 2014, 5 of 7 freshmen did not play ECNL when recruited.) Looking forward to 2015, 2 of the 5 commits have no ECNL affiliation. All this is by way of saying that the ECNL has not yet scooped up all of the talent and the top coaches know it and, presumably, Hot Seat coaches should be paying attention..

Since these are your stats, I'm sure this is true, but what I'm seeing out here in the PNW is that top clubs are moving to the ECNL. The ECNL concept has a gravitational pull that's hard to resist, for good or for ill.

On the other hand, Eddie is correct that really good coaches are able to find talent that may not show up in the fora where everyone is looking for it. (That was a grammatical nightmare.)

cpthomas, Yesterday at 2:11 AM Report
      #388 Rep Quote
    8. [​IMG]
      Soccerhunter Member
      cpthomas said:
      Since these are your stats, I'm sure this is true, but what I'm seeing out here in the PNW is that top clubs are moving to the ECNL. The ECNL concept has a gravitational pull that's hard to resist, for good or for ill
      I certainly agree. Once a critical mass of top clubs signed up, there has been and will be a sense of being "left out" that will drive all but the most principled clubs to try to join too. (The premier example of such a principled club is PSV Union in the bay area and they continue to turn out more than their share of top grade players for a small club.)

Soccerhunter, Yesterday at 2:52 AM Report
      #389 Quote

9. Cliveworshipper Member+
      Soccerhunter said:
      I certainly agree. Once a critical mass of top clubs signed up, there has been and will be a sense of being "left out" that will drive all but the most principled clubs to try to join too. (The premier example of such a principled club is PSV Union in the bay area and they continue to turn out more than their share of top grade players for a small club.)

Being principled is defined by whether you join ECNL?

Cliveworshipper, Yesterday at 4:29 AM Report
      #390 Rep Quote

10. hotjam2 Member
      Club:
      Real Madrid
      Glove Stinks said:
      They are obsessed with ECNL because that is EXACTLY where the talent is. Yes, there are a smattering of teams and players outside ECNL that can compete, but you have to be blind to not see the difference in quality. Not to hijack this thread, but simply take a look at the recruiting spreadsheet and you will see top ECNL teams placing all of their players D1 and the non ECNL quality clubs placing 3 or 4. Not to mention the invites into National team camps
      whatever happened with US Club Soccer/NPL? I thought this where the top select clubs play in?(or at least in the south)
      http://www.usclubsoccer.org/programs/leagues/npl/

hotjam2, Yesterday at 7:05 AM Report
      #391 Rep Quote

1. Soccerhunter said:
      There are definitely a smattering of clubs that churn out good talent that are non ECNL. I don't necessarily buy the recruiting statistics as many of the players may be discovery players on ECNL but list under their own clubs. In California there are a few exceptional clubs (Beach, Legends, and yes PSV) that churn out decent talent...there are also hundreds of clubs that don't develop anything. ECNL is a development league. They have coaching, facility and development standards all laid out in the league mission statement and bylaws. Any club not meeting these standards put their membership in jeopardy. Furthermore, the league is very particular with the clubs they admit (Geographically, quality, and size)...this opens a whole different discussion that probably belongs in a different thread. Bottom line. in the most competitive regions in the country, 90% of the top talent is migrating to ECNL Clubs for the opportunity it presents

Glove Stinks, Yesterday at 1:00 PM Report
      #394 Rep Quote
    2. ember
      Soccerhunter said:

agree with Eddie K and Soccerhunter....

royturner, Yesterday at 2:18 PM Report
      #396 Rep Quote
    3. [​IMG]
      royturner New Member
      Glove Stinks said:
      There are definitely a smattering of clubs that churn out good talent that are non ECNL. I don't necessarily buy the recruiting statistics as many of the players may be discovery players on ECNL but list under their own clubs. In California there are a few exceptional clubs (Beach, Legends, and yes PSV) that churn out decent talent...there are also hundreds of clubs that don't develop anything. ECNL is a development league. They have coaching, facility and development standards all laid out in the league mission statement and bylaws. Any club not meeting these standards put their membership in jeopardy. Furthermore, the league is very particular with the clubs they admit (Geographically, quality, and size)...this opens a whole different discussion that probably belongs in a different thread. Bottom line. in the most competitive regions in the country, 90% of the top talent is migrating to ECNL Clubs for the opportunity it presents

I knew it .... the ECNL has hired national sales reps! :)

royturner, Yesterday at 2:52 PM Report
      #397 Rep Quote
      Lensois repped this.
    4. [​IMG]
      oneofnine Member
      I too will go to the ECNL thread once I find it...can someone direct me to said thread?

No clear answer on the subject. Good players everywhere. Ohio State required a non-ECNL player at the U17 level to move to an ECNL team at the U18 level prior to enrolling at THE Ohio State. Obviously they think ECNL is the top league. However, somehow the player developed to the point of being recruited to OSU through non-ECNL channels.

I find it funny when the ECNL, National League or any competitive league is labeled "developmental" when results are the number one priority. Certainly development doesn't only occur through games, but when the 18th player on the roster plays 5 minutes in a league game (not showcase) or doesn't play at all, how do you label that development? Or is it simply development for the players on the roster that will help guarantee a result? And I don't blame the club coaches. If they don't win, the team doesn't advance. If they don't win, college coaches (supposedly) won't attend as frequently. If they don't win, parents (oops, I mean players) go elswhere. To label it as a "developmental league" is silly. They do indeed have a methodology and coaching pedagogy, which is good. Doesn't mean "development" is the priority.

oneofnine, Yesterday at 5:24 PM Report
      #398 Rep Quote
      Lensois repped this.
    5. [​IMG]
      hilltopsoccer Member
      For the love of God, start a thread about ECNL. back to the topic.

hilltopsoccer, Yesterday at 8:49 PM Report
      #399 Rep Quote
      Morris20 repped this.
    oneofnine said:
    If they don't win, the team doesn't advance ... college coaches ... won't attend as frequently ... parents (oops, I mean players) go els[e]where.
    ... a 2016 ECNL Hot Seat thread?

:p

Gilmoy, Today at 12:33 AM Report
    #402 Rep Quote

2. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Anybody care to explain the Difference in the business model between the ECNL and the USYSA , especially as it relates to how ECNL and the USYSA National Championships are funded?

I struggle seeing a difference.

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    You've placed this thread under the 'women's college' category. ECNL is basically a youth organization, where it's academy/select club members can be anywhere from u13 to u19(these days select clubs start as early as u6). What I like to see is a category made for youth soccer and threads that can follow under it be like select ^ high school clubs
    the ECNL tries to boast itself as the top 'elite' org in the country(I tried asking how a similar group(US Club Soccer, stacks up to them, but got no responds at the other thread) The USYSA is really for everyone, it's suppose to be a non profit org., but it collects nominal fees at all levels, for instance; the head honcho(USSF) collects from youth orgs(like USYSA) in turn they collect s fee from the official state soccer orgs, they collect fees from the various rec & select clubs around the state, and of course those clubs charge a fee to every registered soccer player/member(so this should answer how everything is funded; fees everywhere!)
    Now I can't vouch for the ECNL, but my girl played one year under US Club Soccer banner. What happened with her local select club; it got furious with the state's official soccer org. heavy fees(which they claimed were more excessive towards select) and un membered itself and joined US Club Soccer(which doesn't pay fees to either state or USYSA, since their not members but probably pay directly to USSF). Our select club(called Gulf Coast United) got banned from playing in various state sponsored tournaments(but held it's own tourney's/league games) The coming years, our state. org relented and let our select club enter their tourney's(which in turn the state charges high 'fees' for).

Hope fully that takes out a little of the confusion!

4. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006

So, your daughter ( or you) paid lower or no fees to the ECNL?

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #5 MRAD12, Jan 7, 2015
    I'm not going to read all this stuff on ECNL teams you guys are talking about, but I do want to say that I was at a tournament this summer hosted by Chicago's Eclipse Select lead by Rory Dames. I believe most or all of the teams were ECNL teams. Teams from all over the country were there and the difference between regular girls club team play, even the good ones, that I have seen around the country and ECNL play was huge, IMO.
    ECNL teams are more professional about their training, approaches, tactics, players are much more skilled, coaches are much more intense, etc. In my opinion.

go T repped this.
  6. g8udxk

g8udxk New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Interesting thread. ECNL teams in my area are very strong,(DC metro area) not in every age group but in most of them. However, when you look closely at those rosters it is apparent that many of those players were not developed by those clubs. When kids who have the talent and love for the game necessary hit those U14-U16 age groups seems like they jump to those teams for exactly the exposure reasons everyone is raising in this thread. But don't ever confuse that with talent development, that's talent selection. I am not sure that the ECNL clubs are very good at talent development, in fact based on the burn out rates I see in the younger age groups, I'm pretty sure they are not. At least that's the case with the ones here locally, can't speak to what happens on aggregate. I suppose they are no better or worse as a group in that regard than any other club system in the USA. In other words, sadly not very good at all.

7. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think you make an interesting point regarding burnout within the ECNL clubs on the development side. There is a definite cycle that is happening (where I am at and other places around the country) Most ECNL clubs are there because they had top youth and development in their early age groups. At U13-14 the talent pool tends to consolidate to the ECNL clubs and many of the girls that grew up with that club get pushed out by better talent coming in. It is a very precarious line the DOC's walk. Tough calls are made and feelings get hurt, but if most of these clubs stuck with their home grown, but less talented players they would eventually get bounced out of the league

8. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    FYI - I found the original thread on this.
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...-us-youth-soccer-national-league-odp.1984497/

I have a question for you ECNL advocates:
    Someone mentioned that ECNL holds the clubs accountable to standards and is selective about who joins. So, have any clubs been purposefully dropped from the ECNL? I know the USDA has made changes on the boys side and dropped clubs but haven't heard that any clubs have been dropped from the ECNL.

If you read any of my posts from that earlier thread, I maintain that the ECNL is not really about player development. Even in their own marketing, they talk more about the 'platform' and 'environment' than about developing players. The ECNL represents basically the "Americanization" of youth soccer. Big boastful events to showcase talent and keep as much money and control in house as possible. There are great clubs and great players playing there for sure, can't deny that at all. I don't have any axe to grind but see many problems with it, especially that it seems to have made youth soccer even more expensive and exclusive than ever.

Fitballer repped this.
  9. g8udxk

g8udxk New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I also think that you only have so many minutes of competitive soccer in your body. My daughter's club in the U9-U12 age group spend 180 minutes a week training in season. The local ECNL clubs at the younger ages spend double that. At the U12 level they are playing in multiple games every weekend because they play in multiple leagues. If they actually last in the Club's system they will have the body of a 28 year old when they hit 18, and not in a good way.

10. sec123

sec123 Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

I am an advocate for the league, but I happen to agree with both of the points made above. In my view, talent develops itself. Very few kids - anywhere in the country - are developed from a young age thru the high school years by the same club. Just doesn't happen in the U.S. Not unique to girls soccer either. My kid followed the same path as I am sure many kids have - after playing for a local club, then a better one, then a better one, joined the local ECNL club that fosters an environment where practices are competitive, games are competitive, and those who work hard in this environment generally find success.

Works for her, not for everyone. Yes, the travel is too much! One less national event and having one playoff week would be an improvement. On the other hand, the exposure to colleges is incredible. Opens up options for kids that may have never been imagined.

11. 2-Timer

2-Timer Member

Jul 1, 2013
    North Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    We were a part of it with 2 (youngest - full time 4 years, oldest 50/50 her last year). In theory it is a great idea and I have no doubt it was started because of the following reasons

*the 'big clubs' didn't feel like they had control of the organizational decisions at local, state, regional, and national levels
    *the old guard was losing customers to new and upcoming clubs and this was a way to get back and hold on to the quality customer base
    *US staff could concentrate 99% of true national level talent in one group so they could play against each other and most importantly be easier to scout, id, and evaluate.

In the end, its no different than a company who sells out. The employess are the same and the management is mostly the same. You just change names and answer to a new CEO. The training has not improved because it is the same trainers at the same clubs doing the same thing they always did. It might be open for debate that development has improved because of the best playing the best every weekend, but I am not convinced of that. There are no experimental games. Heck in ECNL, even the showcases count toward the summer playoffs. Winning seems to matter more to trainers and the clubs now more than ever and anything and everything is sacrificed for a win. From my experience, there are more injuries, more burn outs, and more quitting. The clubs still do not have much control over anything. The old guard did get to hang on t0 their status as the club with the best local teams - at least for now. And with out a doubt, the US staff is the biggest victor. Sad thing is that 99.9% of the ECNL families are just pawns and financial sponsors for the .1% of the possible US team talent. ECNL hides behind the college placement stats and the quantity of coaches at showcases, but in reality all of that was already happening at all of these same clubs. It was just under a different title. If ECNL had never come around, these same players would still be recruited and still be getting scholarships. I think the model has to evolve again in the next 5 or so years, but we will see. IMO, ECNL only benefits the very top .1%, the rest are no better off than before including the college coaches who possibly might have drawn the shortest straw of all. Schools outside of the top 50 who have less staff and smaller budgets are forced to attend more showcases (less are regional and driveable) and their recruits are now split in separate showcases at different levels which has to make evaluation much harder.

Game-Ball repped this.
  12. warh2os

warh2os Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Colorado club structure for the 3 ECNL club organizations in the state is a lot different then what you find in California.

Correct me if I am wrong, but in most cases, in Southern California, the ECNL clubs are composed of one ECNL team in each age group with maybe one additional team in each age group not being ECNL. The elite players from the other smaller non-ECNL teams eventually will end up with one of those ECNL clubs. The smaller clubs help develop and will eventually lose their better players. Guess you could call them the minor leagues. Do the smaller clubs have some kind of working relationship with some of the ECNL clubs in anyway?

In Colorado, the club organizations are much larger. They are able to play a more integral part in the monitoring and development of players. Two big reasons why, is the fact that they tend to carry four or five competitive teams in each age group, and sometimes even more, competing at different levels of competition . Plus they contract with the various counties to manage and run their recreational soccer programs. This insures that a consistent player development process is carried out at the younger ages, allowing them an easy way to track potential talent that can adapt to their system of play. In Southern California they lack that kind of control because the recreational program is run by AYSO, a completely separate organization.

Would be interested to know if there are other clubs with similar situations to the Colorado model?

13. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is absolutely not the case for my Kid. Before she played ECNL her NPL team played more than 50 games a year with league, state cup, tournaments and showcases. ECNL does not allow multiple games in a day and no more than 3 days in a row. Practice is exactly the same....2 practice days (180 minutes) and 1 conditioning (60 minutes). My daughter has gone 3.5 seasons and has not missed a game to injury. She missed regularly with her previous club. Minimizing games is a MAJOR part of the mission statement for ECNL. Check Got soccer and youll see some NPL/USsoccer teams that play 60-70 games a year

14. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    no, the only thing we payed is to the local select club, which usually averages $1000 to register & probably about an extra $500 in tournament fees(which sometimes individual teams can make up in fundraising) and of course plenty $$$ on traveling!

15. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

I know it was mentioned in a previous post (maybe in the hotseat thread) that the ECNL is easy for coaches to go to and tht some can be somewhat lazy in not looking for talent elsewhere (paraphrase). I do happen to agree as a Division I coach our program can be guilty of this but at every event you go to their are a lot of players who you can add to your recruiting pool instead of scouting other levels for talent. ECNL does make recruiting for us easier and it is also more economical. We do not possess a massive budget at the college I work at so we don't want to spend money on tournaments that are diluted. We go where there is a bigger pool of talent and it seems to work where we are at. I fully agree there are clubs outside the ECNL that are very good and wouldn't argue otherwise. But as a college coach I want to go to events with the biggest pool of talent. And that is the ECNL by a distance.

Glove Stinks repped this.
  16. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #16 Cliveworshipper, Jan 7, 2015
    Rates I see here in the NW are in excess of $7,000 a season for U16-u17 ( $2000 to register).

That doesn't include uniforms or 'incidentals'. A conference away game is $275-$720 each. A showcase is in the $800-$900 range. Tournament is grand.
    Travel seems to take up a huge chunk.
    If you travel with the kid, it will of course be more.

[​IMG]

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    That's a lot of money for one family to pay to get their kid looked at to possibly be recruited at a Div l college.

18. Glove Stinks

Glove Stinks Member+

Jan 20, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I understand this figure but it is not the norm......this is from a Portland club that has to travel to for most of its league play. Most are around 4-5k and most do fundraising. When you compare to the 60 game us club schedule its not to much different Either way, the cost is extremely restrictive up front...Most ECNL clubs have scholarship opportunities to help with costs, but definitely not what the boys get from DA

19. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    Still, looking at the ECNL clubs map it looks like Idaho and Utah clubs are even worse. The have to hike a ways to play anybody, looking at the Clubs map.Washington is just as bad.

Probably explains why the ECNL has been slow to catch on here.

20. Soccer2345

Soccer2345 Member

Jan 6, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Travel to ECNL events or travel to other showcases the costs are the same. If these clubs were not in the ECNL they would be attending Surf Cup, Las Vegas Showcase, Disney and the Final 4 showcase. Travel cost are expensive for ECNL and non ECNL teams.

21. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'll be happy if my kid gets a part time scholarship(worth 10 K?) at a local JC! And that's what the majority of the estimated 12,000 scholarships given an year for women's college soccer are; part time.
    My kid did about 4 years of select soccer. The overnight trips to tourney's were a lot of fun for the kids and family's. There's the team dinner after the games and like our manager's always made sure to reserve rooms at a hotel with an indoor pool. The bonding was great for the kids and even more so for the parents! as we would non stop yepping all day long about soccer or similar interests at the tourney fields. You had to accept this as your real vacation time/money.
    In fact the last year she did select was when our club decided to give up state membership to join something called NPL(National Premier League) under the unbrella org. US Club Soccer. The tourney's were cut down in favor of league games. That mean's traveling sometimes over 100 miles to just play one league game!
    My kid started to get interested in other things like cheer leading(which can be even more costly), but she started loving soccer again in high school. And that's thing missing about conversation on youth soccer, most kids preferring to playing school ball. You obviously can do both, but combined with other sports/interests that high school offers is why a lot of kids quit select at the higher ages.
    Here's an excellent website on select soccer, gives you all info from almost all tourney's to the highest rated teams nationally and state wise. There's almost no mention about the ECNL, which makes me wonder what all the hype is all about?
    http://www.soccerincollege.com

22. 2-Timer

2-Timer Member

Jul 1, 2013
    North Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The difference is ECNL teams are required to attend 3 showcases and then almost every team qualifies for the playoffs in June so that is 4 'national' showcases that are required and probably require airlines. Sure Non-ECNL teams will attend showcases, but they get to pick and choose and very few will choose to fly to 4.

ECNL is a good thing, but it is also a bad thing and most of the families are being used and abused for the few. Why are the teams forced to attend the showcases? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ And that is what it is all about.

23. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Thank you for making that point. All the ECNL club's teams have to do this so if you have a weaker age band come through...too bad. Anyone would tell you that playing kids up an age group is a good idea in the name of "development" (ask Jurgen) but these clubs can't send a weak team, weakened by vertical player moves, to these All-Club events year after year. So, the clubs should be motivated to work harder to 'develop' players right? which we all know in many cases means even more aggressive youth soccer moves- recruiting of players and even entire teams from other clubs to these weaker ecnl teams. I've even seen entire clubs 'affiliate' or merge or be absorbed by other ECNL clubs (and boys DA clubs as well).

And why are we doing this? For a scholarship? Really? The fees cited by Clive above look a lot like in-state tuition to me. So, your kid gets a good SAT score and will spend less on college tuition with no soccer scholarship than a year of youth soccer in a 'National' league?!?

If we don't get out of that "group of death" in Canada folks, hold onto your hats, cause the winds of change will be coming. Imagine if our WNT doesn't do as well as our men in a World Cup?! Would love to see how the ECNL folks react if US Soccer decided to create a Girls DA and hand pick 30 or so clubs and make the NWSL teams all start full-year youth programs, subsidized by USSoccer. Can't wait for those press-releases...
    I stated in the previous thread, when it comes to true player development, that is: creating world class National Team players, the US youth system is getting in its own way and the Germans and Brazilians are laughing...

24. go T

go T New Member

Oct 10, 2006
    Cary, North Carolina
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. justasoccermomx3

justasoccermomx3 New Member

Dec 18, 2014
    Ive been doing ECNL for 8 years. I have one kid at a PAC school and one soon to be at another D1 school. We are not rich people but we love our soccer and decided to play the game. I guess the bottom line is: every kid on our team has had a D1 scholarship since end of Sophomore year/start of junior year but one. The other ECNL team in my state has the same stats.

When ECNL teams produce these kind of numbers, it makes it difficult for us parents not to fall into the ECNL trap. Besides the opportunity for kids to play college soccer, I do believe it puts them with other kids who also have the same mentality as them. In high school often times these kids are made to feel like freaks because they are to serious about soccer and the ECNL programs allow kids to experience the same mental toughness that they will receive in college. Trust me, if we could get the same results for our kids at non ECNL, we would do it! As long as soccer coaches keep showing up ( 70-80 per game) to watch...it is where kids will want to be.

I was told by the by UH assistant coach that he gets frustrated with ECNL kids. They expect full rides and usually are rich kids who are difficult to coach. I've heard both sides. I think it really depends on the coach. Last year, one of the University of Pacific coaches also said they hadn't bought into the whole ECNL program.

I agree 100%, save the $10,000 a year and your college will be paid for anyways BUT being on a college soccer team is an experience we are willing to give our kids and so ...there is still ECNL.

Cliveworshipper repped this.