Eclipse Select

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by Toxoman, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Lots of Chicagoland talk on the board recently. Any thought/opinions on the Girls Eclipse Select program?

2. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    You mean, besides the fact that they seem to do really, really well?

Sorry, that's all I know. No daughter. :)

3. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah -- my daughter is going to be on the U12 team next season -- I have followed them for the past year and know a few people in the club. Just seeing what folks think out there...

4. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    I have heard them described as the Magic equivalent for girls, that's probably doing a dis-service to Scott Fonfara of the Magic who has done really well with the few girls teams he has.

I have also heard the term ruthless applied to them but I have boys so don't know a whole lot.I know on the boys side that they recently got Tom Zec from Magic and Zec is tough but a very good coach. Eclipse is a serious program.

5. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    That is good to hear -- my daughter is extremly serious and I think they are good fit for her. They seem to take club soccer very seriously from what I have seen so far.

6. beautifulgame11

beautifulgame11 New Member

May 16, 2005
    I feel eclipse is definately one of the elite clubs around!! Their girls teams are always top tier in terms of talent, and although I have heard the coaches are very strict, they are all class. They seem to have several top level players at each age, which speaks to their training environment and the level they play at week in and week out!

Props for the poster who added the addition of Zec to the boys side. I would look for their boys side to improve under him, he did some great things at Campton before he was brought back into the fold at Magic.

7. ussoccr

ussoccr Member

Feb 5, 2003
    If you are looking for a little info on Eclipse Select, here is my view. Eclipse is the premier club for girls in Illinois at this time. Here is a list of their accomplishments:
    1 USYSA National Championship
    4 USYSA National Finalists
    6 USYSA Region II Championships
    23 Illinois State Championships
    5 USYSA Midwest League Championships
    2 USASA National Championships
    1 USASA National Finalist
    3 USASA Regional Championships
    3 USASA State Championships
    Named 9th Best Girls Soccer Club in the United States by SoccerAmerica (2/05)
    Ranked 4th Best Girls Soccer Club in the nation by NationalSoccerRankings.com (October 7, 2004)

They consistently attend and perform well as the top youth tournaments (WAGS, CASL, Disney Showcase, Phoenix President's Day).

Currently Eclipse has one alum in the full National Team Pool (Leslie Osborne), and one in the U21 WNT Pool (Julie Ryder). Current player Lauren Switzer recently returned from playing with the U17 WNT, and a few other current players are on NT player pool lists. That's in addition to the numerous players on major Division I rosters.

8. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Yep -- my daughter wanted to play there the more we looked into the tournaments they play (and how well they do at those tournaments). Leslie also played for FC Milwaukee -- which is where we are switching from to go to the Eclipse. We live right on the IL/Wis border, so the Eclipse is a very good fit for us. And everything I have seen so far, they seem like one of the best clubs not only in Illinois, but in the Midwest...

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Only other thing I can tell you is that Eclipse has not been described to me as an easy place to play. The style of coaches that would be called demanding if you wished to compliment them, abusive if not. I don't think that they beat on everybody by being a bunch of nice guys coaching nice girls.

10. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    I hear you on that one JohnR...she knows the level of commitment expected and is fully willing to run threw the brick wall for them -- knowing how well the club operates.

11. ussoccr

ussoccr Member

Feb 5, 2003
    JohnR is correct. It is not the easiest place to play, and is not suited for every player. Recent (i.e. past couple of years) additions to the coaching staff have set up sort of a "good cop/bad cop" situation. Regardless of which coach is the good cop and which is the bad cop, if your daughter is willing to run through walls for the team, then the coaches will do the same in supporting her goals and aspirations.

12. Playing for Eclipse is the equivelant of going to Vogelsinger for soccer camp (AKA Nazi Soccer Camp) don't take that as a knock, but that's what the kids call it. Eclipse is not for the timid...I have first hand experience with some of the coaches...specifically Rory Danes who also coaches St. Viator's girls program. If your daughter can handle the verbal abuse go to Eclipe...tactically there is not a program in N. Illinois that comes close to the quality at the girls level. However keep in mind that even at games and tournaments, your daughter will be abused by any means needed to get peak performance. Example, while sitting on the sidelines he pulls this young lady out of a game U16 level and says to her "Do you know why I pulled you out?" she says "No" and he proceeds to tell her that she is "fat and lazy and isn't working hard enough to deserve to play any longer". Now..you tell me...is that the way you want your daughter motivated? Keep in mind that this team did go on to win the tournament and several kids from this team went on to college scholarships.

13. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    I think it ends up being a respect thing -- and everyone I run into has the respect of the coaching staff and is willing to play hard and make the best of themselves. Sort of like a military training -- or a Bobby Knight way if you compare it to a sports team. Sometimes you have to remove the individual before they can play as a team.

14. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Another successful State run by the Eclipse! 7 of 8 teams in the Finals...even though the U18 and U19 teams lost in the Finals, they will be at Regionals due to winning the Midwest Regional league -- so 4 teams will be at Regionals...

15. eltoro

eltoro New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    We played their U14s in a tournament recently. They stayed in our hotel as well. The parents told us that they have a staff nutritionist that determines their meals for the entire weekend. The girls never seemed very happy to me.

We beat them 2-1. They were certainly the better team and we were just lucky on that day. After the game, the coach had them running sprints and doing pushups and crunches. I'm not sure how many as they were still doing them when we left the field.

We ran into them again at another tournament and they beat us 4-0. I guess they learned their lesson.

The coaches were always nice and professional to me. We had a girl red carded in the 4-0 game and they made it a point to come down, as well as some of the players, and tell her she didn't deserve a red. I thought that was classy.

16. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I can tell you that at the U15 level, there are a couple of Des Moines players coming over to play for them. THey are going to train with the Menace Academy and travel for games. They are Region 2 pool players and are absolutely the cream of the crop. Rumors say that there are 8-9 Region 2 players on the U15 team for next season. I can niether verify or dispute that fact, but sounds like a tough group to me!

17. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Well, it sounds like everything I expected about the club...hard working, professional -- and they play as hard as they can with the best possible players.

We are really looking forward to being part of the club next season.

Hope they do well at Regionals starting tomorrow in S.D.!

18. WorkingDad

WorkingDad New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Some very good discussion about Eclipse Select. Most is right on target. My daughter has been the program for some time now.

For girls, Eclipse Select is THE top program in Illinois and one of the best in the Midwest and the Nation.

Coaching staff is solid and knows the game well. They run a great practice and really take the girls to a higher level. I sometimes question integrity and honesty (be carefull; what you are told v. what actually will happen regarding playing time, positions, contribution to the team, etc.). Agree with previous comments that they can be verbally abusive. But at end of the day, my daughter still loves soccer even after the verbal lashings from time to time.

While coaching staff will downplay importance of ODP, many of the players are involved in ODP at various levels. Appears to be a nice recruiting opportunity. Team composition will change from year to year. If a better player comes along via ODP or other club, lower performers (by their standards) are moved out or relagated to the bench.

At the younger ages (U12-U13) winning is important but not the only goal. At the older ages, winning is the only priority. This is what many are looking for and not bad per se, depends on what you want.

This program is top notch because of it's winning tradition. You need to be prepared for what comes along with wining at all cost. If your daughter is a dynamic player with superior ability and thick skin, you will love this club. If she is a very good player but not best of best, it may be a struggle.

We have no regrets so far, but to each his own.
    Good luck.

19. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    We have only been there for about three months at this point, but I have zero complaints at this point.

Everything has gone great!

20. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004

21. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    I disgaree. I have actually grown tired of the tree-hugging attitude this country has adopted over the past 30 years towards competitive sports. If I wanted it to be all about learning skills -- I'd take her to a trainer and never have her compete against anyone. The game is where you apply skills. They push the girls to be their best -- and obviously they want to win. But at the highest level of play, should that not be the goal?

22. Celtic3

Celtic3 New Member

Apr 5, 2004
    Nothing to do with tree hugging mate.........just experience.

23. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Ok Celtic, What club does your child play at?? I bet Coach Dorrance of the Univ of North Carolina, Notre Dame, UCLA and the likes are all about sleep overs and lets go over a corner kick. Correct me if Im wrong here, but just because some kids (and parents) arent use to some regime in there sports life doesnt mean others cant except it. I believe some might even excel in that environment, speaking from experience. Hey, if it gets to heavy, then the family can transfer to another club. And vice versa, there is always going to be someone there to tryout for your spot if your not working your hardest. Fair enough isnt it?? Sure wish Celtic you could watch the head coach integrate with his Natl Championship U18 team.

24. WorkingDad

WorkingDad New Member

Sep 12, 2005
    Well said Futbolr.
    Can't win a national championship without a high level of intensity and drive, from players and coaches. Those who don't play at this level, can't possibly understand.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah I agree, but that's not the case in this instance. Celtic's boy is a good player, would start for any club he tried out for.