Post-match: EC Semifinal Leg 1: Crew vs. NYCFC

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by hardhead, Oct 31, 2017.

1. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The Crew game ops team didn't do a very good job of getting cars into the parking lot or fans into the stadium. I parked at 7:40, got in the long line at 7:50 and missed the first goal. Crew season ticket holders in the first row of 226 got booted from their seats so the NYCFC videographer could set up his tripod and laptop in their seats.

Team played great, missed some chances and gave NYC some but they couldn't finish. We double teamed Villa when he was in the box and mostly kept him in check. The rest of NYC can't shoot. Johnson was sloppy and gave us a couple.

I thought Trapp and Artur mostly controlled the midfield. After the red card, we were off to the races. Vierra made a mistake in trying for the road goal instead of bunkering and getting out with a 1-0 loss. I'm glad we kept our foot on the gas instead of playing it safe too.

The stadium was obviously more than 2/3 full. I'm glad Precourt got cursed by a whole stadium. C-R-E...

2. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Normally this photo would belong in the “where is that old poster?” thread.

Last night, we stood with a certain ex-Crew board moderator. Markus was a big fan.

[​IMG]

Draghignazzo repped this.
  3. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Santafoos?

4. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Has it already been covered that Villa clipped Mensah's heels and tripped him? Missed it at game but it was obvious on tv. Looked intentional fwiw.

5. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    What do you think his intent with the soft touch to the side was? Was he trying to gently roll it out of bounds?

6. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    As many defenders are, he was caught between motions - in two minds, as it were. His "soft touch" was less skills and more "happy accident".

7. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Ok but its an indirect kick not direct and maybe shouldnt require such a high level of proof as mind reading. :)

8. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    An indirect kick in the box is a high price to pay for a botched clearance, no matter how that botching manifests.

9. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Did anyone else think Mensah didnt slip but had his feet kicked out by Villa? I swear I can see it clearly.

Bill Archer repped this.
  10. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Don't remember.

11. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we've had a forward and a defender weigh in on the "backpass" play, I might as well weigh in as the former referee.

There's no way in hell I'm calling that.

Despite the wording of the actual Law, the reality is that at the professional level, that's not going to be called unless the clear intent of the teammate was to pass the ball back to his goalkeeper. If he's trying to clear the ball away from someone, or shanks it just a little bit, it's not going to be a violation. It's a rule you have to be trying pretty hard to break.

I actually hate the rule as it stands. I think any intentional play off the foot of the defender should be off-limits. But it is what it is.

ibrew and Timon19 repped this.
  12. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One more thing on the King's goal. I think NYC fans will look at that play as scandalously bad defending. It doesn't seem possible that a defender should be able to run through five defenders like that. But that fact that NYC had been trailing for a long time, shorthanded for a long time, had done so much running, spent so much energy trying to get back into the match and covering extra ground, that I think they were just so mentally fatigued that they just switched off for a moment. It's another direct result of the red card and our guys making them work for everything they got. We just wore them down.

ohiotiger repped this.
  13. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #113 Ch(Elsey), Nov 2, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
    Lately I had been thinking similar sentiment. That Crew fans had put down their smartphones during games and stopped caring about their egos.

Well that was until I read your post, which was smack-dab in the middle of a pissing contest about “real world” politics.

I have philosophy, history, law, and business degrees, and I do not give a flying F U Precourt what our esteemed governor said about this #SaveTheCrew situation. He fumbled, but I hope he recovers. We need all the help we can get.

As for reading into the red herrings and miscues regarding the current owner of the Crew, I am not onboard to say I know what is really happening in this potential move situation.

What I do know is that many, many Crew supporters are passionate, intelligent, resourceful, and driven. On Tuesday night, I was pleased to see all of those qualities on display and in-person.

Edit: Let the time stamp be a record that 1) I am up too damn late and 2) This whole situation has rattled my gd bones.

14. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd put that, for them, under the heading of "sometimes the other guy is good". Like that Zusi goal against us a couple of years ago. Heard alot of complaining about our D on that one. But it was a magical goal--and as much as I hated that it came against us, I was glad I got to see it.

KCbus repped this.
  15. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Hey guys, this is the post-match thread. I'm happy to hear about the politics of moving to Austin in the..Crew to Austin thread. But, make it about the Crew to Austin and not about partisan politics or a pissing contest.

If any of ya'll want to hear about politics, come on down to the Hudson Library tonight to hear me talk about spreading misinformation in communities. But, I'm not talking about that here!

Beerking, chr1st, mmradio13 and 2 others repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are you teaching them how to do it? If so, PSV might have a job for you....;););)

17. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think NYC suffered bt having too many defenders around King H. Each of them either froze or horribly over committed. 2 defenders would have been better than 5 there

18. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And, as our Mod noted--let's move this discussion over to the right thread.

19. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Alright, to help move it along, I moved most of the posts that were discussing the politics of moving to Austin (with little to no post-game content) over to the team moving thread. I deleted posts that were political snark without any Crew-related content.

ibrew, Timon19, Jaybir and 1 other person repped this.
  20. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Following what has been impressive run of form to close out the regular season, do you think Steffen will run for president as a republican, democrat, or independent?

Robbo Crewfan and ibrew repped this.
  21. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Clearly an independent. His heroics will serve him well as he eventually represents all of us patriotically in the 202X World Cup and he's above dividing us 50/50. He's making stops for the 100%!

Robbo Crewfan and chr1st repped this.
  22. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting take.

Now I'd like to get your opinion on the "backpass" play as the big stupid dummyhead who's always wrong.

23. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The mass return to the boards has given you a much larger volume of work to oversee than normal these past few weeks.

Where should I send a fruit basket?

Jaybir repped this.
  24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think a bottle of scotch or cognac would be more appropriate....

Jaybir repped this.
  25. hardhead

hardhead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 2008
    NEO
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    No fruit basket wanted! I think we all want to play some part in facilitating and organizing keeping the Crew where they belong and winning the 2017 MLS Cup.

ohiotiger repped this.