East German Clubs: Culture?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by Lamprey, Aug 12, 2012.

1. USAChrisKY

USAChrisKY Member

May 20, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting about that Nazi stuff. I was reading either on the U.S. State department website or the German Embassy website here in the U.S. and it says not to bring in Nazi material. So Im guessing its wrong to bring a book in that was written by a German Soldier. I kind of knew about some Germans being nazi like at Euro 2012 but I thought it might have been a very small minority but I wasnt aware that alot of eastern clubs have some or alot of nazi like poltical views and expressing it at games.

What is the penalty for expressing Neo Nazi views there ? Im guessing there is one considering I couldnt bring a book there and knowing they will give me a penalty. Im not sure what it might be.

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The question is if it is propaganda material meant for distribution. The penalty is up to five years in jail, and can also be apllied to acts committed outside of Germany (e.g. if you print propaganda in the US it might not matter if you bring it into Germany personally).

However, not everything Nazi related is actually illegal - people should certainly make sure before entering though (although, generally, most probably won't travel with a few hundred neo nazi flyers or so).

3. USAChrisKY

USAChrisKY Member

May 20, 2010
    Bluegrass State
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hahaha yeah thats true about people traveling with neo nazi flyers haha. Made me laugh. Its interesting. Ive heard the same thing is with Italia to. With facist poltical things. I may be dumb but what really is the point of all this ? Is it really to keep from Nazism rising again in Germany to the point of where it was in 1939-1945 ? Is Germany now really at threat to have Neo-Nazism take over ? Does anybody really want something like that to take over in Germany ?

I admit I am ignorant on the interal affairs of Western countries on these matters, we tend to pay much attention to the Middle East, Russia and China than to Western Countries. Id rather mind my own bussiness in the sense that I am not going to stop Germans for doing what they want to do or any country for that matter. But I find it interesting and would like to know.

4. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's just a very wide application of hate speech law, ie nazi propaganda is automatically considered hate speech, basically. That goes for Germany, though, not sure how it is in Italy or for example Poland (where they were thinking about outlawing communist propaganda, too).

5. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    The laws are more or less the same for 65 years now; their origin was to keep Nazi propaganda out of the politic processes during the creation and the early years of the young Federal Republic (though several politicians continued their administrative careers, and the US and their allies loved working with Gestapo and SS criminals against communism).
    Holocaust denial is illegal, the Nazi salute is illegal, and so on; "being a Nazi asshole with Nazi opinions" isn't illegal.

6. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    "The enemy of my enemy is my friend."

7. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a friend who teaches at Uni Leipzig and he's an RB fan for that exact reason. It got away from the goddamn neo-Nazis at Lok.

God, I loved this team. They were fun to see and they always flyers for the team in the student housing where I lived. I wish them the best.

It's interesting to see what's happening in the post-Sachsen Leipzig debacle. I've always been firmly behind Chemie and I hope to see them succeed. SG Leipzig-Leutzsch can bite the dust, along with their Nazi fans. They're not as bad as Lok, but they could get there. Chemie is much more of a left-wing club, but not to the extent of RSL.

8. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I was in Berlin for a couple of weeks and caught two Union games. The Alte Forsterei really is a special place to experience a game, amazing atmosphere and such a blast to see Eisern Union shoot up to 5th.

9. CCSUltra

CCSUltra Member+

Nov 18, 2008
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Last years's ban was discussed in the DFB-Pokal thread. Either way - I doubt they win the appeal this time, not for the second time in a row.

11. Zak1FCK

Zak1FCK Member+

Aug 23, 2005
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would suggest the Cup thread, but that is just me.