East Asian Championship Pre & Post Game News [R]

Discussion in 'AFC: Tournaments' started by WuTang2002, Dec 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    This championship may well be Coelho's last ultimatum to keep his job.
    I believe Zico and Haan are in the same position although I might be wrong. (Someone enlighten me if I am)

Things don't look that bright for Coelho. After 1-0 loss to Bulgaria's B-side, Korea lost to Ulsan University by 1-0 just two days ago. If he gets anything less than a win against the first opponent, Hong Kong, we have to say good bye to him. The sad thing is that I'm not so confident about the game. We lost to Vietnam's U-23 a short while ago. I had never thought we'd worry about teams like Hong Kong!! This time, although we're going to miss 5 euro-leaguers + Kim Nam-il, all of our J-leaguers are available. Coelho will have absolutely no excuses whatsoever.

2. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    zico will be fine regardless the outcome of this competition although i except nothing but winning considering who our opponents are. overall he hasn't screwed big throughout the year. technically japan didn't have any games that mean much with an exception of the confed cup though. the only disaster was a 1-4 loss to a weak commebol side argentina. but even that game turned out to be beneficial for mighty japan as we later digged out quality players such as endo, tsuboi, and yamada and completely eliminated those old faces such as akita & narahashi + koji nakata.

speaking of akita, he was fired by mato's beloved kashima antlers

3. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Korea 3 : 1 Hong Kong FT

Korean goals by Kim Doo Hyun, Kim Do Hoon and Ahn Jung Hwan. However, from what I've heard, Korea should have finished a lot better and should have scored at least couple more goals. It won't get any easier against China or Japan...

4. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Japan 2 : 0 China FT.

Both goals by Kubo.

5. LakesidePark

LakesidePark New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Kanagawa, Japan
    '5 Kubo <- Ogasawara
    '80 Kubo <- Motoyama

Kubo finally did it for the national team.
    Alcohol makes him feel good!

Did any Chinese fan here watch the game? I thought China's defense was virtually non-existent...

6. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I heard it's their first time using the 3-back system under Haan's regime... that could be the reason why they were disorganized.

Meanwhile, from what I've read, Hao Haidong was still very dangerous. He's definitely the man that Korea has to mark closely next game.

7. SHURARARA

SHURARARA New Member

May 9, 2002
    Although Japan created many goal chances,and Japan got 6-7 times or more of 1 on 1 with the Chinese goalkeeper,they were able to score only only two goals.Zico should change Okubo which is not helpful and he should use Kurobe.

China had a no chance.
    The probability that China made a goal was 0%.

8. JPFN

JPFN New Member

Aug 18, 2002
    it
    Zico also used the 3 backs for the first time. Japan was always 4-4-2 system until now.

When does Okubo make a goal?
    He made many goal chances useless.

9. HiJazzey

HiJazzey Member

Jan 29, 2002
    London
    Club:
    Al Ittihad Jeddah
    Didn't you play 3-5-2 in Lebanon 2000?

10. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I think he meant under Zico's regime. Japan traditionally is more of a 3-back team as well, I believe.

11. ACkenji

ACkenji Member

Jan 13, 2002
    Japan has used the 4 backs abundantly.
    Yokoyama, Ooft, Falcao, kamo, and Okada(Although he sometimes used the 3 backs) and others who are the coach of past JapanNT liked the 4 backs.
    Only Troussier always used the 3 back.
    In EAFC, probably, Zico used the 3 backs, since almost all regular members were absence.
    I think that 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 is the most suitable to Japan.

12. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada

Ah, thanks for correction. I just based my knowledge from what I saw of Japan in more recent tournaments (like WC 98, AC 2000 and WC 2002). I guess they used more of 4 back formations beforehand.

13. WuTang2002

WuTang2002 Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Bundang, Korea
    I watched the game. And what a horrible performance by Korean NT it was. We sucked. I though I was watching elementary school team against middle school team. Both teams showed no organization. I really begin to dislike Coelho.

14. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
    it should've been japan 5-0 at least. we had at least 5 clear cut and hit the woodwork twice. regular kubo was very impressive and should've completed a hattrick while big kubo was almost useless. china meantime showed a good one touch passing and organized in the midfield esp late in the first half but the offense was so simple and none looked dangerous maybe except the one in the end of the game that passed narazaki but blocked by miyamoto which could have only been a consolation goal even if scored. their defense was basically full of holes.

15. the_13th_redneck

the_13th_redneck BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2002
    Coelho sucks.

16. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    They used four backs for all 90 minutes of all three matches of WC98 (Narahashi, Ihara, Akita, Soma).

As mentioned by ACKenji, the only Japan coach to employ 3 backs regularly was Troussier. Even Troussier used four backs during his first two matches. So apart from the period Jan1999-June2002, Japan has almost always used four backs. A 3-5-2 has been used only in situations where someone was injured, missing, or as a tactical strategy against a particular team.

Incidentally, if you watched where the players were standing whenever China got the ball, I thought it looked more like a 3-4-3 than a 3-5-2.

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I don't want to take this thread off-topic, but didn't Japan play 5-3-2 with Narahashi, Nakanishi, Ihara, Akita and Soma? I remember that being the starting backline for at least one of the matches.

18. Matsu

Matsu Member

Mar 28, 2001
    That was for the Argentina match.
    Youre right about the players who were out there, but at least "officially" (ie the way they showed it in the FIFA match reports), Nakanishi was playing at defensive midfield.

19. Premium Hamatachi redded

Sep 9, 2002
  20. shuvy87

shuvy87 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2003
    USA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  21. Korean Football

Korean Football New Member

Apr 21, 2001
    U.S.
    Korea beats China 1-0.

Eul-yong Lee got a red card for some hilarious comedy of slapping a Chinese player's head, and since then, it was a pretty even match.

22. shenhua

shenhua New Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Parramatta
    [​IMG]

The Korean went to Turkey and learned all their dirty antics

23. philos

philos BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 16, 2002
    fullerton, ca
    an ugly game

-->That happened when the Chinese did a back tackle on and later, held him and then kicked him-even without the ball. In fact, he was already injured from the previous game against HK.
    I don't agree with what the Korean player has done against the Chinese player but tackles were pretty vicious and wicked.
    -->The Korean player was unprofessional.
    -->Overall, didn't like the way the Chinese NT played. Aggressive but some dirty soccer, tried to injure Korean players again. I think China has great potential in soccer, but playing like that will be nil helpful.

24. K_19

K_19 New Member

Aug 29, 2002
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not a great showing by our NT. Win is a win but Korea looked weaker against China than Japan was against them. Shame on Lee EY for reacting the way he did. Sure, the Chinese were playing rough and ticked him off a little bit, but he has to control his emotions in situations like that. Poor finishing once again, Ahn Jung Hwan hitting the post (again!) and both Kim Do Hoon and Lee Kwan Woo both magically wasting perfect chances. Thanks to Yoo Sang Chul Korea and Coelho saved face (and his goal wasn't the prettiest). Also, lucky for Korea, Hai Haidong was absent because of a knee injury.

Hmm, speaking of bad finishing, I just heard that Japan was held only 1-0 by Hong Kong, even with 24 shots on net. Oh my... this is a critical problem for both teams.

25. woorijim

woorijim Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Bucheon, South Korea
    With only one match remaining, Korea and Japan are tied at 6pts. The match between Korea and Japan, which is schedueld to be played on Dec 10th, will decide the eventual winner of the first East Asian Football Championship.

Current Standing

--Country-----W----D----L----F----A----GD

1. Korea Rep --2----0----0----4----1---- +3

2. Japan------2----0----0----3----0---- +3

3. HongKong--0----0----2----1----4---- -3

4. China------0----0----2----0----3---- -3