Earthquakes Official Next Coach Thread

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Earthshaker, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure instead of bouncing between different threads that we needed a dedicated thread since Ralston is officially an interim coach.

The Quakes have reportedly inquired about Caleb Porter and GBS. Here is the latest:

Earthquakes contact Gunn
    8 hours ago 14:45

The San Jose Earthquakes have made contact with Stanford head coach Jeremy Gunn about their managerial vacancy, according to MLSsoccer.com.

The Quakes fired Mikael Stahre on Sunday, as the manager did not even last a full season after being hired in November.

San Jose has also been in contact with former Portland manager Caleb Porter, as well as Boca Juniors head coach Guillermo Barros Schelotto.

falvo, markmcf8 and lazlo325 repped this.
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd be shocked if Gunn took the job. But if he does, we should play the theme from Peter Gun in the stadium early and often.
    • Marc Dos Santos should be on our list, even if he's on Vancouver's list too.
    • GBS should be on the list, of course. Don't know what he costs, but he'd be worth it.
    • Zoran Savic makes my list also. https://www.sportingkc.com/club/zoran-savic
    • We should look at other assistants too, like Marco Ferruzzi: https://www.fcdallas.com/club/marco-ferruzzi
    • or Josema Bazan: https://www.fcdallas.com/club/josema-bazan
    • Or steal an assistant from NYRB or Atlanta.
    • Someone suggested Robin Fraser from TFC, but he wasn't successful at Chivas USA. Of course, most coaches there weren't successful, so that might not count for much, and he's had more years to learn. But I want someone with MLS experience.
    • And Jimmy Conrad says he wants to coach the team. Of course, that might just be a joke, but you never know. And Jimmy would bring TheJoe on as an assistant or GK coach. (And or Tim Hanley?)
    Our league is physical (sadly) and players need good foot speed, because nearly every team plays a high-pressure defense. So we need to find players that fit that mold and a coach who knows the league.

This is a crucial decision, we have to get it right. If we screw this up the stands will be empty and we'll be decades rebuilding the fan base.

Go Quakes!!
    Go Jesse!!

- Mark

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Its kind of a catch 22 for Gunn to leave a cushy job at Stanford for the Earthquakes. Gunn has won three consecutive National Championships in 2015,2016 and 2017 and is considered a king with the Cardinal. Going to the Quakes with their track record , he could easily go from champ to chump.

I recall Caleb Porter getting a 10 year contract after the 2010 Akron squad captured the NCAA Men's Division I Soccer Championship, defeating the Louisville Cardinals, 1–0. At that time, I thought he would never quit the security of a college job for the uncertainty of the pro game until Portland hired him. In retrospect , by coaching the Timbers, he won an MLS Cup and lasted 5 years at the Timbers but had he not gone to the pros, he will have still been employed by Akron and in the long run, he could have gone on to make a lot more money. winning more championships.

4. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Bruce Arena left a cushy gig at Virginia to coach MLS. Same with Sigi at UCLA, Porter at Akron, Bob Bradley at Princeton, etc.

Jerry Yeagerly never left Indiana. I’m guessing a lot of soccer fans don’t remember him.

5. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    GBS would be a quality coach, I'd have no qualms about his taking charge of the ship as long as he's given a free hand to wheel and deal.

xbhaskarx, ant0n and markmcf8 repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    MLS was coming up at that time and I'm assuming Arena, Sigi and Bradley all wanted a piece of the pie.

Julius Menendez coached SJSU for 36 years and also was the boxing coach for Ali in the Olympics. Stephen Negoesco coached the University of San Francisco from 1961–2000. They lasted the coming and going of the ASL and NASL.

Dean Wurzberger
    coached the SF Bay Blackhawks and was fired then went on to coach UW from 1992 -2010.

Kevin Grimes
    has been with Cal since 2000.

Gary St. Clair
    coached at SJSU from 1990-2013 and he told me once that he wanted nothing to do with MLS as coaches never lasted more than 2-3 years.

There is something to the job security of a colllege job.

nihon2000 repped this.
  7. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I wish I thought hiring the world's best coach would make a difference. our only hope is that our best candidate does his homework and insists on a change of culture (i.e. support for bringing in the players we need), otherwise he will merely be the next in a long line of coaches to fall victim to the small team realities of Fisherball.

8. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must read:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018...es-built-culture-success-sporting-kansas-city

You really have to read this. This is the way to build a club. This is how you lay the foundation for years of success.

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

xbhaskarx repped this.
  9. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Zinedine Zidane available? He could have head butted the ref in the last game.

Here are my qualifications for a coach:
    1. Take a collection of players who play better collectively than the sum of their individual talents.
    2. Play entertaining and smart soccer (I.e. movement, skill, etc.)
    3. Assist with player acquisition and can work with GM and Technical Director to identify players within the club's vision. (Note: I don't want the coach to be the primary person for player acquisition).
    4. Value skill over hard working players

Sactown Soccer repped this.
  10. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are they considering Ian Russell? He's done pretty well at Reno and know the young players.

Others I can think of are Dave Sarachan assuming he doesn't get the USMNT job full-time, and I think he's done a decent job of bringing you players.

Tab Ramos. He's worked with young talents as U20 coach for several years and didn't he also interview for the Earthquakes GM job?

Not that I'm strongly advocating for any of the three here, but they all have something to offer.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed.

12. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Per wiki.....

13. hc897

hc897 Member+

May 3, 2009
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I was joking before that the players have a heck of a lot more restraint than I do. It's incredible frustrating to watch, but I can't even imagine having to restrain myself actually being involved. It's a miracle no one is facing criminal charges right now.

14. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On your #4 it would be ideal if they were hard-working skillful players. ;)

I would also like to maintain the Quakes tradition of not hiring coaches who cry about the officiating every time they lose.

15. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Dos Santos joins an increasing lengthy list of candidates, one that includes former Portland Timbers manager Caleb Porter, current Stanford University men's head coach Jeremy Gunn, current Boca Juniors manager Guillermo Barros Schelotto, and former Borussia Dortmund manager Peter Bosz.

16. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Not Sarachan or Arena please. Can we for once focus on the future and not on the past?

Go with Hugo Perez and lets build the team through the academy. Possession on the ground and hold the ball for a change. No more dump and chase soccer.

nihon2000, QuakeAttack, Beerking and 5 others repped this.
  17. raindawg

raindawg Member

Sep 22, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fixed my own post. Of course I meant "young" players brought on by Sarachan.

Why is Sarachan the past? Just because he's been around awhile or associated with Arena? He certainly hasn't acted like someone clinging onto the past in the past year or so...

don gagliardi repped this.
  18. Sactown Soccer

Jul 29, 2007
    Redding
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hugo Perez would be a nice addition to the list. He values young and skilled players, and likes to play attractive soccer. No for me on Sarachan and Ramos. Both too much of the old boys network. I like that Sarachan calls in younger guys, but he won't play with a center attacking mid, and calls in guys like Zardes and won't give a guy like Ramirez a real chance. Ramos from what I know, hasn't really done much to play attractive successful soccer with his teams. I may be wrong there.

19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He just had an article in Soccer America.....I like some of his ideas...

20. staudio

staudio Member+

Mar 7, 2008
    Marin
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Front office in a bit of a no-win situation. If they pick Ralston or Ian, some fans will say so much for an "international' search (think Watson).....If they pick someone who has MLS experience some will complain about it be the same old boring long ball..and if they pick European coach some will complain about picking someone who doesn't understand MLS....

I don't care about the background of who they pick just please make it the right choice :laugh:

mjlee22 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But what I want to know is , why or how is a european or international coach supposed to be that much better than their American counterparts? Had they not only given him one expansion year, I have my doubts Jason Kreis will have done much better or worse than Patrick Vieira did at NYCFC. Jason unlike Jesse Marsch at least will most probably not have bailed on his club mid season. He also will have not list 7-0 to the NYRB. I just don’t see why it’s so important to go or hire internationally. We are no longer in the 1970’s where Americans didn’t know the game. Hire a North American based coach!

22. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I never went to an SF Deltas game. I know they won NASL, but what kind of coach is Marc dos Santos?

One issue I would guess is that SF Deltas had a young enthusiastic Stanford MBA founder of the ownership investment group. LAFC has a very enthusiastic set of owners led by the very enthusiastic guy who is a co-owner of the Warriors. We have Fisher who only cares about the appreciation of the team’s monetary value. He only cares about winning when it adversely affects his bottom line.

I wonder if dos Santos would really take the Quakes job.

23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nihon2000 and Sactown Soccer repped this.
  24. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I never really followed the Deltas too much. I recall watching a few games but not sure how good they really were in comparison to MLS. I wouldn't give Marc Dos Santos too much credit though because the team and the league folded after that championship game...

Talked to Jimmy Conrad on facebook a while ago and he would give anything to come back to San Jose.....

25. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what are your parameters to ensure that we make the "right" choice?

I get that you're joking of course, but still, I think we need to think about what the right choice will look like.
    • I want MLS experience. We've tried no MLS experience and that led to disaster.
    • I want an offensively oriented coach. No counter attacking Robinson for me.
    • I want someone who is going to play possession soccer, or at least try.
    And, I want to know if Bruno is a good head of scouting. Who has he suggested to our "brain trust?" I mean, has Bruno not found good guys? Or did Jesse and Mika pass on some of the good guys that Bruno found for us?

Go Quakes!!

- Mark

bsman and Sactown Soccer repped this.