Earthquakes Audi Player Index scores

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by mjlee22, Jul 16, 2018.

1. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never made an effort to understand the Audi Player Index scores that are posted on mlssoccer.com. After the Montreal debacle, I became curious because I noticed that Wondo had an API score of -142. What did that mean, I wondered.

Well, I'm still not sure what it means, but apparently an API score is a player's points for all the good and bad things he does during a game. I have a feeling that Jesse and Stahre are managing the team based on these scores (or something similar) rather than looking at the product on the field.

By the API scores, Hoesen, Vako, and Flo are our best players. But our best is a lot worse than our opponents' best. I only spreadsheeted the top 7 players who played almost every game. Everyone else was so-so.

Here are some thoughts:
    • I don't claim to understand the Audi Player Index. But it appears that good players score 400-600 regularly, and so-so players are 100-200 range.
    • I have no idea what a negative API score means, but Tarbell and Wondo have a lot of them
    • I didn't include Godoy because he's missed so many games, but generally his API scores are in the 200 range, except May-25 vs LAG he had 530
    • Our total team API scores average 25% below that of our opponents
    • Per game, our best API player tends to score 1/2 to 2/3 of our opponent's best player
    PM me your email address if you want the excel file. BS only allowed me to upload the pdf. Or maybe I can PM the xlsx file to you?

Anyhow, hope you enjoy this.

Attached Files: