Earthquake

Discussion in 'Chelsea Off Topic Threads' started by Kerry Dixon's Boots, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We just got hit - biggest one I felt for years (in fact for me, ever). Had to crawl under my desk and building is still swaying.

It was a magnitude 5.8

On the Richter scale this is:
    5.0-5.9 Moderate Can cause major damage to poorly constructed buildings over small regions. At most slight damage to well-designed buildings. 800 per year
    6.0-6.9 Strong Can be destructive in areas up to about 160 kilometres (100 mi) across in populated areas. 120 per year

2. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
  3. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    KDB,

As long as there is no damage to any of your Chelsea gear or Becky I will breathe a sigh of relief....

Seriously- I hope all is well.

4. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Good God. It just wouldn't f*cking stop this time. Stuff was falling from the shelves on this one. Biggest one I have felt since Northridge.

5. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lasted a good 15 seconds and MY CHELSEA CALENDAR WAS KNOCKED OFF THE WALL!!

Needless to say I have put in a requisition order for earthquake proof push pins. We're on the 10th floor of a modern building so it kept swaying for another 30 seconds after the tremor.

All are well here thankfully.

6. Kerry Dixon's Boots

Staff Member

Jun 6, 2006
    77 degrees
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I should mention that The Paradise is Mr July and it's not the first time he's gone to ground rather easily this season :D

7. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Yes. Those pins would be handy. I'm glad everything is ok your way.

This made my day!!!!!!!!:D:D

8. Randy36

Randy36 New Member

May 9, 2007
    Houston
    OMG. That is absolutely terrifying. I hope there are no casualties. I have a brother in Los Angeles. Haven't heard from him.

Must call him immediately!

9. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Hope all you guys are ok!

10. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City
    lol. Sign of a man is an ability to joke at a nervous time. Kudos.[​IMG]

11. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    :D:D:D

12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Hope all is okay out there.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    7.0-7.9 - strong enough to wake old people like Clan.

*runs away*

14. The_ChelseaSupporter

Mar 25, 2007
    Olympia, WA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Earthquakes are crazy I was here for the Nisqually quake that was a 6.8 and was felt in San Francisco apparently. Sounds like this one was up there glad to see it wasn't too bad.

15. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Yeah so my summer habit for sleeping from 5am-1pm then playing video games the rest of my waking hours usually prevents me from watching/reading most anything in the news. I had no idea brotha! I obviously would have called!

Of course, my first initial reaction after seeing this (and that you were ok) was SON OF A BITCH! ALL I WANTED WHILE I WAS VISITING WAS A GOD DAMN EARTHQUAKE! MOTHER HUMPING WHORES OF BIATCH INFESTED SHITBALLS!

That said, I hope your Yankees hat died a slow death in the quake. Next time I come, there better be a quake or there will be hell to pay.

16. Blue Celery

Blue Celery Member

Apr 13, 2007
    I imagine a gaming room. With a Pirates bean bag seat. There's a big Natalie Portman poster up, but it has a little rip in the middle from one of your "F*CK THIS GAME!" controller throws when you lose.

There's a Houston Oilers rug under the seat that you bought at a yard sale for $2, 14 years ago. It's stained. Stained badly.

Empty and half eaten Red Vines packages are all over the carpet. Some of the delicious licorice has hardened, while others have melted into Warren Moon's helmet.

Gaming systems are carelessly piled up in ripped brown boxes against the wall with wires and cords spilling out. Genesis, Sega CD, Neo Geo, Virtual Boy, and 7 seperate Power Gloves are among the mess.

You have "gaming clothes" in a dresser which includes "Spring Break" t-shirts from the years 1994-99, and body glove basketball shorts. No socks or underwear.

There's also a Sports Illustrated swimsuit calender for 2004 up on the wall, but it's crooked and hanging on to one pushpin because the other fell off and you're too lazy to fix it. It's turned to Anna Kournikova.

I also see powerstrips sitting next to every wall. Every outlet is being used, but the cords don't seem to be going anywhere in particular as there is only a ceiling fan and one dusty flat screen TV in the room.

The walls are painted baby blue, except for the one behind the TV which is painted white.

17. Dear_Claudio

Dear_Claudio Member+

Feb 6, 2005
    Buffalo, New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    LMFAO BC:DI have roughly the same schedule, but it's been more 3pm-6am... and I have a job. Damn lazy teachers and their unions and communism.

18. Eddie26

Eddie26 Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Pittsadelphia
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Very funny and very close to being very true...just swap out Houston Oilers for Philadelphia Eagles.