Earn big cash and have big fun!!!!

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those of you who are in need of a few extra bucks now and then, or for those of you who are a little past your playing days but still love the game, may I make a suggestion?

It's called "Refereeing"

Here's the deal:

Currently, in Central Ohio the Ohio High School Athletic Association (soulless bastards that they are) are attempting to schedule roughly 3500 High School games - Varsity, JV, Boys, Girls and Middle School. To do this, there are currently 150 referees.

These games pay upwards of $50 each, and you almost always get a double because you do back-to-back JV/Varsity.

So for a couple hours with a whistle in your mouth, you can pick up $100. It's no problem getting work two days, even three days if you're willing, per week.

And you can say which days or nights you want a game and when you don't. They don't dictate it, you tell them when you're available.

And if you're still not tired, you can go do MOSSL or even Rec on Saturday mornings. MOSSL currently pays between $18 (U-12 girls) and $35 (bring your legs - U-17 boys). Even running the lines for MOSSL is $15-24. Usually they run games back to back. A three man team (I bring some freinds) rotates through the center and can hold a field down all day long; even I can do the center every third match.

In the Spring you can do select games and Tournaments. You can even pick up games in the Summer at Tournaments and such.

You can get there two ways: either take and pass the OHSAA Ref test ( a pain in the ass) OR you can take the USSF course (usually good, run by Victor Popescu or John Cummings) which is like 4 evenings, then take the USSF test.

I recommend the latter because if you already have a valid USSF license they don't require you to take the HS test. Personally, I've NEVER taken it.

So the USSF license lets you do BOTH HS and USYSL games.

There are classes coming up. If anybody is interested, I'll send you the info.

Nothing like spending the evening getting yelled at by fat ignorant dolts. And they pay cash, (Uncle Sam never sees a nickel of it) on the spot and BEFORE the game. No pay, no game.

2. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    As a former dickhead player who got my fair share of cards for uhh...."dissent", the US Treasury has not minted enough money for me to referee highschool soccer.

3. Eggy

Eggy New Member

May 28, 1999
    CBUS
    It is a good oppurtunity to pick up extra cash. But like Del, I hate referees.

Ruining
    Everything
    For
    Supporters

4. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am forever banned from Granville Ohio for tossing their beloved old soccer coach a few years ago.

Also, there's a community in Kentucky somewhere that has a bounty on my head.

My favorite was the German female coach who called me a cabbage. Later that same day (it was a league championship tournament) there was nearly a riot when I tossed a loudmouth old fart who turned out to be the coach's father, and then disallowed a goal. The police were called.

But if you've picked up anything about me, you've noticed one important fact that makes it all possible: Generally speaking, I think everybody else is an idiot, and I could not possibly care less what anyone thinks about me.

I don't know these people anyway. Why should I give a crap if they are angry at me? They are ignorant, never played the game, are stupid and ugly and their wives are disgusting fat overly made up dried up old harridans.

What could possibly interest me in their opinions about what I'm doing out there?

5. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Do you need any experience?

I have never done it but I figure I have to be better than most of the jokers out there.

6. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    MOSSL and rec is a good time for the most part. I've done those for awhile. I've heard nothing but awful things about OHSAA though. The guy I took my last class from quit as a result of how poorly the OHSAA treats officials, and what coaches and players can get away with in terms of official treatment.

Toon, I dont' think they require any experience, just so long as you attend the class and pass the exam.

7. swims

swims Member

Unless you guys know something I don't, the last clinic for this upcoming season took place this past week.

...and shouldn't the title of this thread be 'Earn pocket change while getting abused by idiots'?