Early predictions for 2009/10

Discussion in 'Premier League' started by rawsonc3, May 13, 2009.

1. rawsonc3

rawsonc3 New Member

May 13, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
  2. The Frederick

The Frederick New Member

May 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No chance, buddy. Manchester United will win it easily.

3. Razzz

Razzz New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I predict ManU will struggle next season. But then again I think Sir Alex will spend some money this season. Even if Cronaldo stays ManU will spend more then any other big four teams. So I think the superiority of ManU will depend on how the other teams will shop.

For Arsenal its going to be a very busy summer, because i predict some key players will leave. I think of Fabregas, Van Persie, Gallas. It is a must for Wenger to finally buy quality players instead of talents. If Arsenal can mange to buy experience then I consider Arsenal to be the league winners next season.

Chelsea won't play for the title, because since Mourinho left they still struggle to find the right guy. Because I don't think Hiddink will stay Chelsea will continue struggling. Next to that Chelsea is more of a CL then a PL team. The biggest problem of Chelsea is that they have too many of the same kind of players. If Chelsea can manage to find the right balance (and not only to win games on personal quality) then I think Chelsea can become the next Barcelona with magnificant football. I predict Chelsea won't be PL winners next season.

For Liverpool it is a must to invest in a quality bench. Their problem is that if for example Gerrard or Torres are out they start to struggle. If Benitez can manage to win big games without Gerrard or Torres (which i doubt) they will be serious contnders for the title next to Arsenal.

My prediction for next season will be:

1. Arsenal
    2. Chelsea
    3. ManU
    4. Liverpool

4. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...Hull City wins the premier league? :D

Probably Man U, but for the sake of shaking things up, I'll say that Liverpool pulls off an upset, and Everton takes one of the UCL slots.

5. ApproachWithCaution

Dec 16, 2006
    South Wales, UK.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    W.T.F. Seriously, i want whatever your smoking. :cool:

6. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You are talking about the reigning EPL, European and World Champions here? A team that are 6 points clear at the top of their domestic table and in another CL final having already won the League Cup as it stands?

I do think iyt will closer next year. United don't NEEDc to buy anyone but I'd predict that Chelsea and Liverpool will be more consistant throughout the season than this year and Arsenal may well buy some decent players. Then there's the persuing pack of Everton and Villa who could buy well this summer and Manchester City's untold riches.....

7. Razzz

Razzz New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    The main reason why i think United will struggle is for several reasons.
    1. If Cronlado will stay he'll become a selfish player.
    2. If Cronaldo leaves ManU will have to find a new balance (the only one who can replace Cronaldo is Ribery, gonna be difficult to get him)
    3. Many players are getting to old
    4. Other teams are going to get stronger
    5. The pressure of staying class is going to deliver too much pressure
    6. Messi is going to Man City

I know that ManU is the #1 team in the world now but next season there will be more strong teams. The reason why ManU was the best is because all the other teams were not good. You can say that ManU was by far the best of the rest.

8. rawsonc3

rawsonc3 New Member

May 13, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Really can't see Arsenal putting in an attempt - I think they need some serious rebuilding. After all, you can't win anything with kids...

9. Razzz

Razzz New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    I dont smoke, thats the reason why im so damn good!

10. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If I may address those points one by one?

1) He's already a selfish player. It's theoretically, physically and biologically impossible for a player to get any more selfish. Irrelavant.

2) I agree with this but there's no evidence that he'll leave. He watched his "beloved" Real Madrid get thrashed by Liverpool in the CL 5-0 on aggregate and he recently stated that he's happy at the club. IF he goes, I agree with your point but quite frankly, I don't think he will. And Ribery is very gettable - he might cost alot, but he's definitely an obtainable player. Any fee for Ronaldo would comfortably cover any fee for him.

3) Who's getting old? Scholes and Giggs are the only old players who'll be missed on any level and in the current side we have players such as Carrick, Fletcher, Hargreaves and Anderson who have enough ability to fill the gaps. Add to them the likes of Nani and Tosic and there's plenty of options in midfield.

4) Other teams COULD get stronger but no one has started buying yet so you're jumping the gun. And if you think we won't react to any strengthening made by the other teams you're being a touch naive.

5) Pressure? What, more pressure than there was this year?

6) No he's not, don't be silly. Barca won't sell for any amount of money and he's stated categorically that he wants to stay there for life. Even if he did move they'd just have Robinho and Messi surrounded by average pap and would not represent a title threat.

11. ApproachWithCaution

Dec 16, 2006
    South Wales, UK.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Razzz, you just got burned you crazy Dutch bastard.

12. Razzz

Razzz New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

1+2. This ManU is depends too much on Cronaldo. In the big games Cronaldo made the difference. If he leaves its going to be real bummer for ManU because they won't be able to fill his gap. If Cronaldo stays it even may be a bigger bummer because his bad vibes will effect the team.

3. You won that point. The most keyplayers are not getting to old (wishful thinking).

4. The challenge of the other teams will be to buy and become stronger then ManU. Plus some ManU (key)players mind find it time to leave because they've won everything possible. Again the challenge is to break ManU's superiority. BTW Arshavin is step 1 to Arsenal for next season. Plus ManU's superiority was not ONLY because they were so good, other teams in PL lost too many points. In CL, the only real opponents are Chelsea, Barca and maybe Liverpool. Even Porto and Inter (30+ team) were capable of knocking ManU out. Teams as Real, Bayern, Milan, Juve etc. are struggling for many years, they will cash out like never before. So ManU's superiority won't be an advantage for the next season.

5. Can you imagine how big the pressure will be next year..?

6. Did I say Messi to Man City? I meant Messi to Chelsea. My point with Messi is that ManU have a great team. They don't have necceseraly quality individuals like Barca. Cronaldo, Vidic and Ferdinand are the players who make the difference for ManU. Even Rooney is not (yet) a player ManU can do without. If one quality player leaves you need an even better one to compensate the team. That's going to be difficult for ManU and therefor I predict ManU next season won't be able to achieve the succes of the last two seasons.

13. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Points 1+2 are big points, especially if he goes.

If he goes he cannot be replaced, not directly. As good as players like Messi, Aguerro and Ribery are, they are not the same as Ronaldo. They don't deliver on the same level so obviously he'll be missed. But I'm not convinced he's going anywhere myself. However, your point is taken on board as you do make a good one, but it's only valid if he leaves.

With point 3 you make a good point - many team this year have dropped silly points on occassion. Liverpools home results against Fulham, West Ham and Stoke etc plus their loss away to 'Boro were all results that none of us saw coming so you cannot legislate for those kind of results. It's important to take into account however, that United have rarely stepped out of 3rd gear this season, nevermind hit top form. Other than away to West Brom and the second half to Tottenham, we simply haven't played that well this term and we're still top.

If he goes to Chelsea then it would certainly be interesting. But I think he'll stay in Barca myself. We'll have to wait and see.

I'd say in Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney and Berbatov United have enough quality to frighten anyone. The ONLY side in world football who boast a similar kind of line up is, as you point out, Barcelona. I think in defence we are much more stable than them. Certainly the CL final will be interesting to watch from a neutrals point of view.

14. Razzz

Razzz New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

I don't quite agree with you about Tevez, Rooney and Berbatov being atg the level of deciding games. Of course they frighten opponents, but just because the centre defence and midfield is obviously one of the best in the world. When I think of Tevez, the first thing that comes up to me is the fact that he made important goals but never was important during a period of time. His exit can be replaced (obviously the PL doesn't suit Tevez).

Berbatov maybe needs time to adapt on the level of ManU, but also Berbatov never made any difference during a certain period. The fact that the #1 striker of ManU isn't somewhere at the top of the goalscorers list can be critisized. If ManU didn't play like they do now (as a team) Berbatov would be the first one out i think.

The quality of Rooney is that he has become a really good team player, but is also a player who can shine when there are worldclass players around him. He doesn't has the capability (yet) to become leading goalscorer or a captain who carry's the team. When ManU plays bad Rooney plays bad and when ManU play well ooney plays well. It is never vice versa.

Players like Eto'o, Messi, Aguero, Cronaldo, Kaka, Gerrard, Torres, Ribery, Arshavin, Zlatan etc are players who can decide a game when their team plays bad by scoring goals out of nowhere.

Im afraid that ManU will need players of this quality. This ManU depends too much on Cronaldo and if he leaves the easy scoring ability of ManU will fall away. They will need to compensate this with one worldclass attacking midfielder and striker.
    If Cronaldo stays then I'm afraid the team won't be as strong as the past two seasons because Ronaldo is becoming an annoying personality. The rest of the teams won't easily do Cronaldo's dirty work if he continues his behaviour of the last 1-2 weeks.

In my opinion the only way for ManU to keep building this team is to spend alots of money. And even that won't guarantee immediate succes (the new players will need time to adapt and the team as well).
    Liverpool and Arsenal are a team a new player can be adapted easily. ManU's system depends on the players on the pitch. I really think that ManU will struggle. By struggle I mean it won't be easy the reach the achievements of the past two seasons on automatic pilot.

15. R0bh1no

R0bh1no New Member

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    you kidding me dude, you think arsenal is going to be in the 1st place next year. wow i dont think so. Arsenal rigth now is struggling more than any team. they need to rebuild the whole team.

16. R0bh1no

R0bh1no New Member

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hahaha i agree with you man. Arsenal needs to rebuild the whole team there is not way arsenal is going to be 1st place next year. they play like little babies.

17. R0bh1no

R0bh1no New Member

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm a real madrid fun but i agree wtih you madri needs to rebuild the whole team too.

18. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I hate to say this, it's gonna be a major case of deja vu at the top. Manchester United, Chelsea + Liverpool to battle it out for the title. Arsenal for 4th spot. Aston Villa had a great chance to break the tradition but totally blew it and in doing so proved just how difficult it is for a team to break the big 4. The only side I see doing this is Manchester City. They are by no means capable of it at the moment but with limitless cash, it all depends on who they can convince to come to the Citizens. However, I think they'll need another season of consolidation before they can challenge the big four.

At the top Chelsea + Liverpool will surely strengthen in key areas and if Ronaldo does leave Man U, it would be interesting to see what happens. I do believe though that Liverpool, if they invest wisely + turn a lot of those draws into wins, could make a genuine challenge for the title.

I think things will be very tight at the bottom. Teams that just escaped relegation such as Sunderland, Portsmouth, Newcastle and even Stoke should be very careful because Wolves, Birmingham + Sheffield United (if they beat Burnley) could challenge to stay up better than the likes of Hull + WBA. I reckon Portsmouth could go down next season as they are now saying they're going to sell many of their star players and that looks a bit like a sinking ship imo.

19. The Frederick

The Frederick New Member

May 14, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Liverpool won't have the depth to win the title; even if they buy a star, they'll have to trade in a bunch of decent squad players to buy him.

20. Gmak

Gmak BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 13, 2005
    Geez, this thread is infested with newbies.

iMO its too early to say, but if i were to predict based on current rumors, news, standings, Id say Deja vu again.

Manu will start slowly, Liverpool will give them a good challenge and Chelsea, depends on who they get really, Arsenal, no matter what happens in the summer, will be fighting for that vital 4th spot. The next best team to break tradition in my opinion will be Everton if Moyes gets a good budget and keeps his players injury free. Biggest disapointment Aston Villa suffering from second season syndrome.
    word.

Gmak

21. salesman

salesman Member

May 20, 2009
    Club:
    FC Seoul
    no predictions, but hoping that Liverpool claim their first premier league title and some other team finally breaking into the big 4 (preferably Manchester City).

22. chrizzah

chrizzah Member

Aug 8, 2000
    DC
    1) Mark Hughes will be out as Man City manager sometime in September.
    2) Fulham will go a few rounds in the UEFA Cup which will in turn will leave them struggling in the league.
    3) Hull and perhaps Burnley will duke it out as the league's whipping boys.
    4) Newcastle will end the season as Championship play-off contenders despite having gone through six managers (including Kevin Keegan twice) in the course of the season.

23. blue nose uk

blue nose uk Guest

Who cares about the top ... Birmingham are back woo-hoo:D

24. chefdave

chefdave New Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I like Liverpool too,but Everton has to spend some money to reach Top 4 status

25. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One team I'm starting to worry about a little bit is Wigan. They're losing all their best players and with the manager, Steve Bruce seemingly on his way out - it's looking a bit bleak for them. They flirted with relegation a couple of seasons ago and even last season for a good bit. Without their key players and manager - they could be an outside bet for relegation next season.