Early Grades: Offseason Acquisitions

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by schlomo, May 20, 2017.

1. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Early report on offseason acquisitions:

Overall grade: F

Colman: F
    The much ballyhooed #9 has turned in a 0. His flub-per-chance rate is off the charts. Not a single goal; many embarrassing flubs.

Lamah: C
    The Belgian winger has contributed in moments, but where his predecessors Castillo and Shea were explosive chance creators and scorers, Lamah seems more like a meandering ball-stopper at this stage.

Graña: B-
    He adds a crossing element and on-the-ball poise. He helps possess the ball in the defensive third. He lacks speed but makes up for it with guile.

Chala: ?
    Got loaned out because he couldn't contribute.

Morales: F
    Cant find the game. Seems lost on the field. Is rarely not a net negative.

This team needs to make moves for a creative player and more wing speed. This team is not physical enough through the midfield to play the slow soccer they have produced thus far.

2. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll give Colman a D because he is not actively making the team worse like Morales is. He's getting into dangerous positions, he's getting good shots, but he's flubbed some and been unlucky on others. Besides, he's new to the league and the style and pace of play. But still... a D, which at most colleges still ain't good enough.

But Morales? Absolutely an F. Like I said, his presence on the field makes the team worse. And at this point, he's been in the league forever, so Clavijo and Pareja should've known better and understood why RSL was letting him go.

Northside Rovers repped this.
  3. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed with Dustin. Lamah definitely needs to get better.

4. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd personally grade Colman higher than an F, and Grana lower than a B. Colman does require defenders to track him, he makes useful runs, he looks like his head is in the game. Once his feet catch up to his positioning and instincts, he'll be alright. Grana, on the other hand, has a lot of fancy footwork. But more often than not, the next person to control the ball after Grana is a member of the other team.

Lamah has been a mixed bag, and I've had my complaints about him, but I think he's been a net positive. He'd get a C+ or B- for me so far. I'd rate the Grana and Lamah acquisitions about the same.

Morales is a warm body, but the game FC Dallas plays is faster and more upbeat than Morales is capable of. I'll take his intelligence in a substitute role, but I don't think he's a starter anymore.

5. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One positive for me is so far none of these guys have done enough to not make me think a couple of the super young HG guys deserve a chance to show what they have. Diaz not ready and Morales not exciting you? Let's see what Pax has. Lamah not explosive enough or impacting the game enough for you? How about a dose of Ferreira to see what he's got. Grana's empty trickery bothering you? Let's see what Cannon can do. Finally if Colman can't score in another month or so there's no reason why the extremely young but promising Reynolds shouldn't get a glance. These young one's are realistically at least a year away but if the vets don't start picking it up then a dab here and there may do the trick.

TCS35 repped this.
  6. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017

Agreed. I know that Pareja is probably holding off on the youngsters to try to give the veterans a chance to come together. At some point the midfielders and forwards (other than Urruti) are actually going to have to produce. If they are not producing then you have to remind them that you'll give someone else a shot to produce. That results in 3 possible scenarios, none of which are worse than the status quo. Scenario 1: the replacement player outperforms the original. Scenario 2: the replacement player does not outperform the original, but the original becomes motivated to perform better. Scenario 3: the replacement player does not outperform the original player and the original player becomes disgruntled. Even with scenario 3 you can begin moving on from the player who does not work with your team.

TCS35 repped this.
  7. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'm sure you know this, but Pax just underwent knee surgery, so I have tried to push him out of my mind while he recuperates. Sucks. He was ready to have a breakout season. I am really hoping that he recovers well and ahead of schedule, but we will have to see how he reacts physically and mentally to injury. Meniscus tears are very painful, and the rehab is testing.

8. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm, I was going by something else I read where he won't be out that long like maybe 1.5 -2 months.

9. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    That sounds about right - although, he will probably have pain injections for a while after that. It remains to be seen how he responds. Hopefully it is not all that bad.

10. FC Dallas 1

FC Dallas 1 Member

Jun 18, 2016
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Word around FCD academy is pomykol will be back in another 3-4 weeks. Surgery last week.

Question is will they use him and others in academy playoffs

11. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    Didn't know where else to put this...

FCD has been reportedly in talks with Memo Ochoa and William Yarborough.

12. EricSunRa

EricSunRa Member

FC Dallas
    United States
    Sep 29, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Colman seems to be able to create his own chances - something that FC Dallas requires. This is why so many are reluctant to write him off. That ability earns the respect of the defenders, which allows him to pry at the opponent's defensive shape.

Yet, with 10 games and 0 goals in MLS, it is hard to see him turn into a consistent goal scorer. He is already 23, and didn't exactly light it up back in Paraguay. He could be the next Wondo, but I'll not be holding my breath.

13. SabreKhan

SabreKhan Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's halftime of the FCD v RSL game. I would like to upgrade my rating of Lamah.

EricSunRa, cowtown, Rufiolo and 2 others repped this.
  14. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's nice to know he can finish.

15. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I'll just leave this here.

875739481260871680 is not a valid tweet id

16. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he a midfielder or a forward? If true this means they may be giving up on Colman (at least for this year) and working to bring in a replacement at either forward or attacking mid. With Diaz back or if this player can also play central attacking mid it could reflect a return to the 4-2-3-1 and makes having Colman "get it" less necessary with only one forward starting. Having another starting quality attacking mid can only help the stale offense and give more options. It would take away minutes from the kids but they may be better helped by a summer loan to OKC to fight for a starting spot and get more minutes. Come back once school starts and try and beat out a FCD veteran.

17. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well reading his wiki page he is 32 and not at all what I was expecting. I thought he'd be a young up and comer. 3 million seems to way too much so it makes me wonder about the accuracy of the whole article.

18. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    He's a current member of the Colombian national team, and worth every penny.

Add to that this:

And you can see that FCD means business.

19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean that FCD ain't nothin to .... ....?

El Chico Carmona repped this.
  20. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Repped for the Wu Tang Clan reference

21. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I give Colman a C+. He creates problems for defenders, works hard and makes good quality passes. I asked myself if another Hoop can do the same job and I immediately answered yes. Ryan Hollingshead could do the exact same job Colman does.
    That makes Colman expendable.
    Heck, Ryan is a better option than Tesho too.

22. SeventhRowScreamer

Jan 26, 2007
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No!!!!
    Rodallega sucked in the Premier league. Kenwyne Jones had 10x the number goals in the prem and what has he done for Atlanta? Not enough for what they're paying him. Atlanta pays Jones 400k but I bet we'd have to pay Rodallega more than that.

23. CANPRO

CANPRO Member+

Dec 23, 2002
  24. EvilTree

EvilTree Member+

Canadian S.C
    Canada
    Nov 20, 2007
    Frozen Swampland, Soviet Canuckistan
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I don't suppose anyone know if Reid to Ottawa is a loan or a transfer?

25. El Chico Carmona

Mar 10, 2015
    Baraboo, Wisconsin
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    It's likely a loan. We're trying to get confirmation from FCD.
    Reid doesn't turn 18 until August, and FCD was unable to get a waiver allowing him to play in the US.

EvilTree repped this.