E10/Regiment feedback for the upcoming season

Discussion in 'Charleston Battery' started by Erik S, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was just wanting some feedback from the Battery faithful. Im thinking of making some banners for the upcoming season for the Regiment/E10 supporters group. I know a couple of people who already said they would help. Lets make E10 the place to be for the matches. The more fun E10 is the more people we will have therefore the more organized and louder we will be. Hopefully we can fill E10 with diehard supporters of the Charleston Battery. We have to start somewhere. It wont happen over night but eventually who knows what it will lead to. We have a great unofficial leader in Mikey already. Two questions for yall.

1) I have some ideas for the banners but what ideas do yall have?
    2) I cant do it all by myself so some help is necessary so who on the
    board would help?

2. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

Im all for making E-10 the place to be. Maybe my student section organizational skills could come in handy...lol. Would have to twerk it from highschool and college to pro...but shouldnt be that hard...lol. Biggest thing is keeping the energy up all game...seems like the 2nd half we lose what we have the 1st

3. Theonefish

Theonefish Member

Jul 28, 2008
    Greenville SC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A few ideas:

First off, how about somebody up front "organizing" everything. Somebody kind of directing what the rest of E10 does, to add to the uniformity of the section.

The flag waving is really cool, and adds a nice visual element. Something else we could do is throw some black and gold streamers up whenever the Battery score a goal. Seeing it at places like Toronto, Columbus, etc looks really cool.
    Here's Fenerbahce doing something like that:
    http://www.youtube.com/v/8AInR7EZ-zo
    I could easily grab some streamers from Party City on my way down to the games I go to. If everyone just brought a couple of rolls we'd have enough for a few games.

I think we've got the percussion thing down- since E10 is metal the flagpoles make a lot of noise that we don't need drums. It sounds really cool.

As far as chants go, my philosophy is what they do in England is cool and all, but the point is to be heard rather than understood. Keep chants simple so that everyone can learn them quickly and everyone can say them loudly. One of my favorites is Columbus's "We Love Ya"
    http://www.youtube.com/v/-iDmkF5YcvU
    Could easily replace "Columbus" with "Charleston" or "the Battery."

4. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You need a black and gold confetti cannon.

5. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    We tried the streamer thing before and got yelled at by a rent a cop (during last years game against Charlotte in the open cup), they didnt like when i gave the kids confetti to throw during the Seattle game...lol...but maybe if we let them know ahead of time they would...i dunno i think itd be fun as long as we didnt go overboard with it.

6. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like RevHammerBat said, the streamers are not a good option because of the popo. But seriously, what we need to do is have a gathering somewhere and discuss what we want to do. The Madra Rua could work or maybe one of the Battery preseason matches. Im going to the Madra Rua tomorrow for the Liverpool v Aston Villa match. Kickoff is at 12. I like the idea of confetti. I would like a big banner of our scarf this year along with one that says this. Of course we would have to pimp it up a wee bit.

The Regiment
    established 2000
    The Official Supporter's Club
    of The Charleston Battery

Overall, I would like maybe five banners. Also one that says......

Up The Battery

7. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikey, any ideas or observations?

8. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Man, if only I lived closer than 3 hours away to help y'all out more...

9. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As far as chants go, having recently been to an 1860 Munich match and seen it live, I am a HUGE fan of the "you will never walk alone" chant at the beginning of the match. Never heard it? YouTube it or go listen to Pink Floyd's single Fearless on the Meddle album. You can hear it there. It is impressive as hell and, really, what this sport is all about.

10. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/lfc_story/classics/1.htm

When you walk through a storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don't be afraid of the dark
    At the end of the storm
    Is a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of a lark

Walk on through the wind
    Walk on through the rain
    Tho' your dreams be tossed and blown
    Walk on, walk on
    With hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone

I absolutely got chills hearing this in person...

11. Mister Obvious

Arsenal
    United States
    May 20, 2006
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    then come sit next to the Boddington's Boy's Choir at the 87th mintue of every home game in W-05, they need help depending on how many times Dennis (the beer man) has been up there.

12. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish we could get the entire regiment to sit in E10. As far as chants go, id rather create our own instead of using another clubs premier chant. But what about banners, whos in on creating them and designing them?

LETS GO BATTERY
    BEAT MONTREAL

13. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for me, E10 has ebbed and flowed over the last couple years. Teh first year we had several folks that have moved on that were the song and chant leaders, but our numbers were pretty small. We made pretty good noise.

over the years we have seen many new faces and we get pretty good numbers but many dont pick up on the songs.

It will all come together though. It takes some time for the new faces to learn the songs and what it all about. but we also need to make sure that it is organic, not forced.

I think we had a couple good chants and songs at the last CCC and im sure we will continue to grow and improve.

Im all for some more banners. I seem to have been super busy lately and have a ton of things I want to get done in the yard and around the house before it gets too hot. but we should try to get together one Sat or sun afternoon to put together a banner or two.

Also I will print up some more flyers to hand out. Even though we get pretty good coverage locally in the press, it is hard to follow a team when you get one or two articles a week. we need to marry the supporters to the team. the flyers with the various forums and inviting new guys to the tailgates work toward that.

we have a few songs that we had before, I still ahve the song sheet so I could print a few more of those out.

mikey

14. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston
    Im all for the chants...we just have to make sure everyone in E-10 goes along with it too. I'd have no problem starting most if not all of them if i knew i wouldnt be 1 of 5 people doing it...lol.

All the ideas on here are great....all we have to do now is put it into action and we'll be good to go.

15. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    RevHammerBat and Mikey, what would we need to create the banner of our scarf?

I agree with Mikey in that the chants will come in time. However, if we could get more people into E10 the chants would become easier to continue. Ive been trying very hard to get more people into our section so that this is duable. We should be able to do simple chants though. Like one for a opposition yellow, red, etc.

E10, lets not argue about EPL no more, lol.

16. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the banner scarf might take some time just do to its size. first thing is we need is material. We can buy a solid yellow or black material (something with some cotton but not too heavy the paint will weigh it down some) Im thinking yellow would be easier to cover with black than the other way around. and I think we would need about 15 yards

Second we'll need an computer and projector or an overhead projector. I can work the first from work but would have to be on the weekend or late in the evening.

After we get the basic outlines done then it is just painting. Acrylic works well as it doesnt run when wet.

here is a video that explains it all
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blNKbyzJpwc"]YouTube - Two Stick Banner[/ame]

for a new chant
    here is one that isnt too hard.

We are Charleston, hear us sing.
    Woo hoo, whoo hoo
    We are Charleston, hear us sing
    whhoo hoo, whoo hoo
    we are Charleston, hear us sing,
    WE WILL WIN EVERYTHING
    whoo hoo, whoo hoo.

Would you guys be able to meet for a mid-week gathering to do the outline at least?

17. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Exactly. You know what they say about "the best laid plans of mice and men..."

18. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikey, you know Im down for the mid-week gathering. Im pretty positive that RevHammerBat is down also. RHB, back me up on that.

I have been recruiting to get hardcore soccer fans to come sit with us in E10 for the matches. Lets build E10 to a loud fun-filled section.

Oh Charleston, we love you

We love you Charleston, we do
    Our hearts will always be with you Charleston

Our loyalty will forever remain with you Charleston

Our supporters will always be with you Charleston

Oh Charleston, we love you!

19. goindownsouth

goindownsouth Member+

Jun 19, 2006
    Central, NJ
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I will be there at some point this term, from the Upstate. When still is unclear. You will have full warning though. ;-)

20. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mikey, when were you thinking the mid-week gathering should be for the outline? Make sure you dont get in trouble with your wife leaving the house. lol jk :D.

21. RevHammerBat

RevHammerBat Member+

Jul 1, 2008
    London
    Club:
    Charleston

RHB is down with that...lol

22. Erik S

Erik S Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If everything works out, it looks like next week we will officially begin the banner making process. One small step at a time will make E10 full of diehard supporters.