Dynamo schedule 2017

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 of the first 7 home games in that stretch are against non-playoff teams from 2016. Can't come out of first 10 games with 12-13 points, need some wins.

MLSNHTOWN repped this.
  2. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I see your point for people in the valley, hill country, deep east Texas. Then don't make it exclusive or make it exclusive only as far as the UHF can beam/is on basic cable, and make deals with surrounding areas also. Kind of like the other major league teams in town might have radio outlets in Austin, Shreveport, or the like. Or get agreement they can stream the games on the website.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Done for what? Playoffs? (Cue Mora video) Championship? Last one isn't happening this season and first one, well, even with crap Dynamo teams that's never decided til the last weeks. But I think we need to wait and see if the mild reboot has changed the team enough, before we even worry about that. There is enough "if" on this team, if the new attackers flourish given the wheel of a team (or if we see why Monterrey sat their a$$), if the old defenders can still play and stay healthy (or do we see why they were surplus), etc., where I need to see some games just to consider whether this is much better than last season. And then we need to see how the balance of power shifts around us. Is LAG the same team minus Arena. Does Colorado stay strong, etc. Then I think you can meaningfully ponder how the schedule sets up.

4. MannieG

MannieG Member+

Nov 30, 2006
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #54 MannieG, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    May just be me being prejudiced, but I'm not wasting the effort on cognitive dissonance; besides, not an argument worth having.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On that TV deal, this caught my eye - there are more tweets in this thread but sounds like may be announced this week and not Root or Fox Sports SW. I gotta admit I get a chuckle about these claims that the Dynamo wasn't happy with Root like they were mistreated - beggars couldn't be choosers and they were probably fortunate they got a deal at all considering their ratings are at Blutarski levels (0.0).

6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo have a TV home (see below) - Canetti's comment in the press release about this being the first time everybody in the Houston market can see the games since 2012 is real rich since he's the one he signed a deal with CSN Houston to begin with (to be fair I don't blame them they threw cash on the table something that no other broadcaster has done to the Dynamo at this point)

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/01/19/kube-tv-channel-57-tv-home-houston-dynamo-2017

Soccergodlss repped this.
  7. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I'll be able to catch their games on tv since I won't be going to the stadium as much. This was critical at this point to keep people curious.

*rey* repped this.
  8. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, this is the deal I alluded to recently. Glad to see them on Kube rather than cable.

ei1marti repped this.
  9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    So KUBE will have 24 games. I'm assuming that there will not be any crossover with the six UniMas or FS1 games. That means we have 4 orphan games right now.

I'm wondering what the status of MLS Live will be this year. Not so much whether or not it is blacked out for local games but if it will even exist. ESPN got the digital rights last year but didn't do anything with them so MLS Live went on. We should be hearing something soon on a replacement.

EDIT: I guess MLS Live may still be around. I just noticed that all of the MLS scheduled games that aren't on national TV are listed as being on MLS Live on the master schedule.

10. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    I love the fact that they are on the TUBE now solely because I can DVR the heck out of the games and don't have to pay for MLS Live anymore out of pocket.

ei1marti and DynamoManiac repped this.
  11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #62 Westside Cosmo, Jan 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    As a point of correction they're actually on the Cube KUBE and not The TUBE channel 55 which I think is now some Spanish station. They were on channel 55 back in 2006 and 2007 I think.

The Tube 55 also didn't pay the Dynamo monies that they were owed under the broadcasting agreement and the Dynamo had to sue them in Harris County court.

From a non-financial perspective this is a very good deal for the Dynamo - a broader audience with people who don't have cable or a dish. My guess is they got jack squat in actual rights fees but maybe they don't have to spend as much money covering cost to broadcast the game. They also got the TV deal done early in the year so they can actually spend a little bit of time promoting the thing on 57.

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'd assume the conflicts would be with ACC stuff either early or late in the season.

Maybe they can work out a supplementary local deal to cover those games. If they run the remaining games on the website, that's not a great fallback for general viewing but sufficient for me.

13. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    According to the official Dynamo Facebook page:

ei1marti, huesocolorado and Heft repped this.
  14. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG]

15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    A slight change in the opponents for the first two pre-season games.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2017/01/29/updated-schedule-preseason-trip-rio-grande-valley

The Dynamo will now play 60 minutes against UT-RGV and 45 minutes against RGVFC on Saturday evening.

Pre-season schedule:

Tuesday, January 25
    Training opens

Saturday, January 28
    Annual Open Practice for Fans, time TBA

Saturday, February 4
    UT-RGV/RGVFC v. Dynamo @ Edinburg, TX 6:00 pm

Tuesday, February 7
    RGVFC v. Dynamo @ Edinburg, TX 12:00 pm

Wednesday, February 8
    Training in Houston resumes

Saturday, February 11
    Dynamo v. TBD, time TBA

Wednesday, February 15
    Dynamo v. New England @ Tucson, AZ 11:00am

Saturday, February 18
    Dynamo v. NYCFC @ Tucson, AZ 6:00pm

Wednesday, February 22
    Dynamo v. NY Red Bulls @ Tucson, AZ 2:00pm

Saturday, February 25
    Dynamo vs. TBD @Tucson, AZ, time TBA

Saturday, March 4
    Regular season starts: Dynamo v. Seattle 7:30 pm

16. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    At this stage of the year would a game (or two) "with RGV" really be in many ways an intrasquad scrimmage? I am sure there are some non first team camp RGV but a lot of their people are in our camp as trialists.....so is everyone in our camp playing for us or are we going to hand RGV some players to play us?

I ask in part because as presently structured I don't know if we would/could cut many people.

17. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    So is UTRGV successor to UTPA?

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I think the Dynamo are treating RGV as the JV team. All of the guys practice together at the start and then as we get closer to the season the two squads are separated. RGV will also have some players that didn't go through any of the Dynamo training camp. As far as these preseason games, I would think that Cabrera will divide into teams that are sure-thing Dynamo players and a team of guys that will probably wind up at RGV. But there might be some crossover. There were 35 players at the scrimmage on Saturday. All of those guys are not going wind up on the Dynamo.

19. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Right, but, cutting the other way, only 23 people are exclusively signed to the first team, so some more people have to make the team. Though it is not a sure thing, a likely source would be the 12 picks and trialists. But if RGV is not really in camp yet, those 12 are also your primary pool for potential RGV players with some observed fitness.

I get your point but also feel like there has to be some double bookkeeping to come up with a nominal RGV unit this point in the preseason. I assume it's packaged as RGV v Houston and not Houston orange v Houston black to sell tickets and promote RGV. It's true several of the 35 will be headed there and add to the core of the team. But they don't play regular season til late March and I'd be curious if we had actual "cuts" before the games where it's really us v them in some permanent sense.

In fact, having been on JV teams that beat the varsity soundly, and having made my first division one club team because our B team would repeatedly beat the A team, if the game means anything it should actually have the potential to problematize the very cuts it's supposed to reinforce. My club team listened to what the results were saying and promoted B teamers mid-season. We soon were competing for club state. My varsity left us on JV -- even as we beat the seniors -- and went out first round of the playoffs. We were varsity the next year but they blew a season being stubborn. So that's one reason I'm a little dubious on making the distinctions so sharp, Dynamo v RGV, right out of the gate. You'd think you'd play a game that "counts" in front of the public before slapping labels on people.

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    I don't think they are selling tickets for these games. RGV doesn't have anything on their website or their twitter feed about either of them. The second one is at noon on a Tuesday. They are glorified scrimmages. It is probably inaccurate to call it "Dynamo v. RGV". We will have to wait and see who plays for who.

21. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I did notice it wasn't on RGV's site when I looked at it. [I was interested if they were in camp and when their season started.] If you're not pimping the RGV brand to its fans, for either tickets or even announced exposure, then why are we going down there at all? If it's a glorified intrasquad game they can play here same as there. UTRGV could drive up for the cost of a van or two of gas and I am sure would be excited to play us just the same. I don't get calling it a RGV game and dressing people in RGV unis and going down there if it's not marketed to push RGV further along in some way.

I will be interested who plays for who, because you obviously wouldn't want the most likely Dynamo blurring onto their team in any way. So it will suggest how players are trending. But it's going to have to get at least a little weird because we don't have enough signed players for a MLS roster (without trialists and picks), and they would need subs, so it's bound to be some people essentially in the wrong uni for how it actually works out.

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The MLS Live signup is now active for 2017.

https://live.mlssoccer.com/subscribe

We have at least one report from the Dynamo that non-national games will not be blacked out in Houston if that is your primary reason for subscribing.

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The MLS website page which lists MLS Live blackouts has been updated:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-live

That page also says:

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you look at that list, the only teams with blackouts are the higher profile successful teams that very likely have local TV deals where they are getting paid an actual rights fee so the broadcaster wants all eyeballs on their TV feed.

So in short, The Kube probably isn't paying the Dynamo anything to broadcast games