Dynamo FO/TD Opinions

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TX Bill repped this.
  2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems that the promotion is now "diversity" proudly proclaiming the number of different nationalities that make up the current team. Personally I find that wrong as we are now jumping on to the cultural bandwagon and promoting something in our sport that should be totally immaterial. I personally don't care if the team is made up of one ethnicity, one nationality, or multiples of each. I just want a team that scores goals and has an impenetrable defense.

TX Bill repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the 2 Minute Canetti sound bite from the media day and he was all on the 9 different countries and diverse roster that “reflects our community” (wait until we get an NHL team in Houston and try that diversity line). It’s everywhere, every college brochure now touts diversity with a standard group picture looking like the Crayola 12 pack of mixed crayons.

BTW, I don’t think diversity has sold a Dynamo ticket

I thought what was funnier was touting the investment in the stadium including replacing the premium seating but leaving out they are trying to do that on the contractors nickel.

6. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think any fan of sport looks at there team and goes we should have more diversity on this team.... They look at the team and go that guy is trash and we need to replace him with this type of player.

TX Bill, CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  7. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here’s a tweet from the new Dynamo VP of Marketing, which may explain why this team struggles to draw fans like they did 5 years ago :

http://mobile.twitter.com/AManNamedBrady1/status/968863511521759233

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #1984 juvechelsea, Feb 28, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    I think there was a concerted effort under the last coaches two years ago and particularly this one to sign hispanic players from a particular set of countries for the marquee spots. I think there are sporting and financial reasons and if they are all hispanic and the coach too that may help communication. I think they got some feedback pushback when selling season tickets -- "what is this, Chivas USA" -- and this is the party line trying to calm any concerns. We are not "Chivas," we are "diverse."

Thing being, we doth protest too much. I'd have gone more like "scoreboard" and said we sign players we like who work within our budget and team, and who we think can handle the climate. Our coach is Colombian and knows where to look. What do you want us to do, scout Chinese players? If we suck that's "we sign hispanics" if we win "we have a formula." Indulging the premise sounds like we got caught hand in the cookie jar but don't feel comfortable or confident enough to say, so what, it works lately.

Personally, I don't care, if they win. I'll change my screenname to Jose Chelsea if they create a multi-title dynasty. I'm more concerned with, is the pipeline securing the level of players we need to compete. I think they have found places to drill for ok players. I am not entirely sold they know where to find talent of a quality and price point high enough to lift a trophy. It's roughly there that I might question whether, say, kicking around Honduras, El Salvador, Colombia, gets us the elite playmaker we need, a pure finisher, some dominant backs, better keeper quality. I think what we're up to gets us to the conference semis and then you might need people from elite nations and leagues to finish it off. I don't buy you can moneyball Latin America to the top. In that sense "diverse" is besides the point and whether we're too stuck on "hispanic" (even if some other foreign player is out there) is a fair concern.

10. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Youre actually seeing something that’s not there.

We don’t have a diverse roster out of calculated design BUT because #1 the climate favors players from closer to the equator and #2 we’re cheap. I mean c’mon it would be ludicrous to bring a Wayne Rooney to Houston. We would never spend that much money and he would melt in the summer.

Now what I do agree with is that it’s a “low hanging fruit” piece for a lazy journalist. That’s something different all together.

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that much of our roster building is out of necessity and economics in terms of which countries’ players we can afford.

But the multicultural rainbow halo effect they keep pushing the last two days is absurd. It’s like they think they will sell tickets to SJWs

13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I advocated pursuing less targeted hispanic countries, but all due respect but then duh it would produce a hispanic team and that would at least in result be on purpose.

I mean, in theory they COULD sign a Frenchman, or an Egyptian, or the like, and they have SCOUTED some. But it comes across to me like they decided at some point, people from x region are underrated, underpriced, and can handle the climate. If you scout openly but then your heuristics you adopted that basically point hispanic, results in hispanic signings, hmm, if you didn't do it quite on purpose, maybe you need to investigate your own assumptions.

If your check boxes sound like a hispanic player don't be surprised if that's who you sign. There may not be a _______only sign here, and they will consider (and probably sign) anyone from anywhere. But you have a hispanic coach and compliant GM whose checkboxes and player-type-in-head seem to lead them to particular areas.

As long as we play well, I would revel in it instead of running from it. Used to be Canadians and Jamaicans. Right now Honduras works. Why fight it. I wouldn't necessarily announce it, because I don't want to give the other teams ideas. But "diverse?" Meh.

14. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I’ll buy tickets and wave the diversity flag when they bring us Kaylor Navas, Marcelo, Andres Guardado, Leo Messi, the good Higuain, and Chicharito.

Until then let’s call it what it is: “how much for 1 rib” - Chris Rock

TX Bill, Heft, El Naranja and 4 others repped this.
  15. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GOD this FO continues to show how clueless they really are. Embarrassing "diversity" isn't putting asses in plastics. It's not sucking fat dick and while your sucking it being dull and boring! You could find tickets to any Astros game at the window on game day 6 years ago.... ********ing good luck now! Why because we don't suck and aren't boring.

A team that is exciting to watch and can win people will come to watch. People like Rey, me and those who went to every home game in the early year can contest that we were the regulars... bet the farm we will be there. It was the people who heard about this soccer team winning and doing it with style was playing at the Rob! Those people would come and see a team pumping blood onto that field, they were backed by TA/EB pumping life into the atmosphere. Got people excited to come back and experience it again. Hell even when we lost we were exciting to watch! Build a team that will compete, encourage atmosphere and people will come to watch! Live Sports is an experience... turn your attention to that!

Soccer is a language across the globe! I see it everyday in my interactions with companies and ships that come into the channel! When I want to break the ice or language barrier... I ask this "Captain, do you like football.. not American football, but Football?" 3/4 of the time their face lights up and then we talk about that countries league! Yes, we live in an extremely diverse city, but they don't give a rats ass about this team if they are no more exciting than the dummies playing in a beer league. If you like soccer you have a team and most are loyal to that team... not the team in this city. Make them love everything about this team.

I thought soccer was gay, boring, not American and for sissies who couldn't hack it at hand/eye coordinated sports. I fell in love with this team because I came on a whim, saw EB/TA do something other than sit and watch the game, the team was exciting and I thought "Man, this is cool, different and I want to come back" My greatest memories in my life happened while being draped in Orange.

TX Bill, Heft and CeltTexan repped this.
  16. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “Pour a drink in my hand for 20 cent?” Or something like that.

Heft repped this.
  17. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gall of our FO to high talk diversity when in reality all people really want is what is called in Spanish as "buen futbol" osea just attractive to the eye soccer on display. As mentioned above by Naranjableeder, the sport at the club level is about one's club, the crest and how the club approaches the beautiful game. With the icing in the top of how well your hinchada rocks the atmosphere season after season. Then there is the players that get signed, play and move on. Our players come and go but the jersey and your color stay the same. So we have had a diverse team from Venezuela, to Canadian rasta to Hawaii brown dudes to men of color from Canada and Georgia and Honduras to the lily whites of Scotland and Canada and California and Rhode Island. This is nothing new Canetti with our team and it's diverse lineups. It was there in year 1 and it is here now, SUPER! It is great, true. But the marketing arm and going long with this angle is just low hanging fruit shit.
    Grow the sport more among the soccer newbies and as well grow the sport at the youth level. Then market the fun time to be had out at BBVA on Saturday nights. These traits are how a MLS team gets more culturally entrenched in their market.

naranjableeder repped this.
  18. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    early candidate for post of the year

ps

i wish the "diversity" warriors could see this.

CeltTexan repped this.
  19. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it's clear that the FO is convinced that the future to attendance is chasing millennial money. While that may be sound strategy, they sure aren't chasing the millennials in houston. this isn't the whiny coasts of our east and west. UH isn't Evergreen college and the under 30 crowd isn't keeping up with the latest episode of Girls.

advertising the same way you would in Cali is a lazy, copy and paste style of "outreach". you know what our millennials want? beer, beer, a winning team, beer and some local cache.

win consistently and you will get all the "diversity" that you can handle. come to think of it, it's a bit insulting that they think they have to go this route. the dynamo fan base is about as diverse as it gets in this town. as well as the team. seen the rockets roster lately?? texans? astros? not much diversity there...

ps

the beer part may have been what i want but i'm sure the kids would dig it too

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think the FO doesn’t know what to chase beyond the 3 months ahead of them.

They will likely sellout the opener. But go look at the Vancouver game, multiple nearly whole sections with tix available. And if you go to buy single game tickets they have a good number of club and even Presidents Club seats available - those aren’t “diversity” sales in those groups.

There isn’t a coherent long-term strategy they’ve ever had

7seven7 repped this.
  22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think the FO doesn’t know what to chase beyond the 3 months ahead of them.

They will likely sellout the opener. But go look at the Vancouver game, multiple nearly whole sections with tix available. And if you go to buy single game tickets they have a good number of club and even Presidents Club seats available - those aren’t “diversity” sales in those groups.

There isn’t a coherent long-term strategy they’ve ever had

23. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those new Hot dogs look tasty.

7seven7, naranjableeder and Heft repped this.
  24. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.
    Everything that we had from the start was dropped in the lap of AEG and OL. This was worked with and clung too. Once OL left and Canetti was handed the family business, there has not been a think tank up at our FO that can originally generate a plan for where our club wants to go. More so in that we are indeed a soccer savvy town, the diverse crowd has always been here. As well a place like a big city as Houston is in our Deep South where playing the sport is as well so very strong.in all the youth and adults that play the game so often. There is ZERO long range plan to cultivate the culture of the pro game. We cut our Dynamo GIrls and as well don't have a residency for our youth. But we got that diversity on lock!

7seven7 and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  25. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX