Dynamo coverage in the Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Hungryjack, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The women soccer Nazi brigade is out for him pretty hard on this one. I don't like Ortiz at all but this is ridiculous. Sebastian Salazar needs to go find some other causes for something to rail on.

2. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    This list is a joke. WTF:mad:

They should at least put 1 Dynamo player like Cubo on it.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...star-studded-field-Astros-Dallas-11281138.php

2017 THE HOUSTON 10

1. DALLAS KEUCHEL, Astros pitcher
    2. JAMES HARDEN, Rockets guard
    3. BILL O'BRIEN, Texans coach
    4. J.J. WATT, Texans defensive end
    5. JEFF LUHNOW, Astros general manager
    6. JOSE ALTUVE, Astros second-baseman
    7. CARLOS CORREA, Astros shortstop
    8. GEORGE SPRINGER, Astros outfielder
    9. CHRIS PAUL, Rockets guard
    10. DESHAUN WATSON, Texans quarterback

3. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1003 Westside Cosmo, Jul 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    I guess Canetti will complain again about how the media isn't helping create "storylines" for the fans to become interested in the Dynamo.

Personally, I would have put "TASTE OF EADO" at number 4 on the list

4. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Deshaun Watson hasn't even suited up for the Texans yet.....WTF? Bill O'Brien?!? Really? LOL

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  5. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If we're talking most important sports people in Houston, it's hard to argue with that list. Who do you take off and who do you put on from the Dynamo?

Ask any sports fan in Houston if they know all 10 of those names and greater than 90% will. Put on someone from the Dynamo and now you drop to maybe 40% (that's not scientific, but it is probably a good guess).

Hydro repped this.
  6. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    There are a couple decent players from the winter spree and Elis even has some personality but that is a popularity contest and this team is designed as people signed under the radar to save a buck. Nobody from the team has grabbed the zeitgeist as a media star.

For that matter, to the extent there was any attempt at balance and rewarding success, we're coming off three years in the wilderness and the PR is such that perhaps the loyal fans know there's been a turnaround (and not much of anyone else).

Keep your head down and earn your keep. Harden at #2 froze up worse than any Houston playoff basketball player I have ever seen. People were after Luhnow with pitchforks 5 years ago. Watt has to get healthy. Paul hasn't taken an official dribble here and Watson hasn't thrown an official pass. So what.

7. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'm concerned with real stuff, closing games, winning on the road, finding subs, who cares if the Rockets announce their sale on our signing, or some publication doesn't list our players, that's fluff.

8. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Harsh reality is that the Dynamo have lost a significant amount of relevance in this city over the last 2-3 years. Many factors involved and even acknowledging a structural hurdle being a soccer team instead of a football or other Big 3 sports league team, the FO has executed poorly and underinvested in the product

9. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Exactly - the really sad thing is you could probably come up with 5-10 other names before you get to the first Dynamo representative in a purely objective non-anti-soccer list.

10. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Beavis, you must LOVE SOCCER, if you think that a Dynamo player should be on that list.

Soccer is still a sport for a few of us. It may be the eternal "sport of the future" in the US. And in Houston, I hate to say it, soccer is failing.

11. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chronicle is a joke anyways... Mostly articles suck and are poorly written, they haven't had a good soccer reporter in a decade

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Be real, you have the Rockets in the playoffs every year since 2011, the Texans with two straight division titles no matter how soft or under-QB'd, and even the once whipping boy Astros with two straight winning seasons, one playoff run, and used to have the best record in MLB. Astros once used to be cheap like us and no one went, but now they all spend money and in the case of the Astros got good at development also.

We haven't been to the playoffs in 3 years. The face of the franchise through last season would have been Will Bruin. Before that, a fading Davis. We do have some people and personalities coming up, but we haven't earned it yet. And our approach by design is moneyball, value under the radar. Inherently the idea on that is shock the world by scouting smarter and prove yourself as it goes.

Who should on the list? That would be the last bit of stinkbomb tossing. I am glad we are back in a situation where people might, say, make a young player list or a value for money list, but the only all-star we have is kind of there on rep and not really how he plays for us or even the NT.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  13. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Corey Roepken is doing an outstanding job. Since Ortiz left and Corey took over, the coverage of both Dynamo and Dash has increased significantly. Most days there's a story on one or the other in the print version. Every day there's at least one story in the web version.

Best thing about Corey is he's not afraid to ask tough questions and doesn't mind pissing people off if he has to.

Beavis Stiffler and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/18/seltzer-top-10-young-players-2017-mls-season

Young player list I was talking about, Elis (not Torres, Quioto, Manotas) made it. However, no one in the homegrown player game. Still more of a "sign a player" than a "develop a player" team, though whether I like Martinez or not the age of attacking players brought in is headed in the right direction for us (I don't think we need Sanchez and feel like he gets in the way of the churning process.....I want the kids to see the field so we figure out faster who can play, churn the ones who can't, iterative efforts to upgrade....).

15. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't question not having a Dynamo player on the list. I question having someone who hasn't even played a down for the Texans on the list. Dude could be a major bust.....nobody knows, but he makes a Houston Top 10 list?

16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Doesn't matter, any time you draft a QB in the 1st round of the NFL Draft (especially in the first half of the draft) that person is considered a big deal until such time as he flops (if he flops). For the Texans, it was only the 2nd time they ever drafted a QB in the 1st round, I believe, and the ongoing problems at that position made it even a bigger deal.

17. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    We live in a football town and QB's rank supreme in football. First round draft pick QB's are an even higher category. So yeah, he is ahead of Savage and several of his teammates because he is supposed to be the QB of the future.

18. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    I really do hate that about this town.

The Texans have sucked, currently suck, and will suck and fans still unconditionally give them a couple thousand of their hard earned dollars to them without thinking twice. At least with the Dynamo your only talking a $20 ticket. Is it fair to say Texan fans are dumb?

19. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Not all of us, I dropped my season tickets after just one season. The value proposition was absurd.

20. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why stop at the Texans, the Oilers weren't much better. Yea they had some exciting years but ultimately choked when it mattered most.

21. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    Yeah, but I've always made the argument that the Oilers were so damn entertaining that even when they lost they were exciting to watch. Same thing with the UofH Coogs.

Texans, not so much. Boring tailgate areas, boring stadium, boring uniforms, boring stream of inept QBs, boring coaches.....

22. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    The team that won 20% of its games and hasn't made the playoffs in 3 years is talking sh*t about the team that won its division twice in a row? I'd agree with a list of criticisms of the Texans including subtle stuff like did we just undo the DBs that were working well, did we do enough OL, are the coaches and GM actually holding this back, etc., and yet I'd be criticizing a winning, playoff team in spite of the flaws (though will it stay that way this season after a no effort FA window where they did nothing but lose people).

The Dynamo have made strides this year but you're talking 3 years in the wilderness when, worse, it often seemed like they weren't even trying personnelwise. Even this year they couldn't resist picking around the veteran recycling bin for defenders which as a result means who knows if it has more than one round of playoffs in it, despite 4 decent forwards. 4! [Imagine if we'd put this kind of under radar, value based effort into young defenders who could cover ground and play decent.......]

I'm glad we're improved but it's the only team in town that pretends we're in a small market and runs out a marginally competitive team.

23. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    It's a fair point on Watson, and my deeper concern there is that the best situation for these kinds of players is sitting behind a solid veteran who can teach. You really don't want a rookie QB competing for playing time that year, and we constantly do because they end up behind some yokel.

24. DonJuego

DonJuego Member+

Aug 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The front page of the Houston Chronicle this morning is flabbergasting:
    Dynamo begin playoff run by hosting reigning champ Seattle

Emphasis mine.

This is in a page-wide top banner.