Dynamo coverage in the Houston Chronicle

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Hungryjack, Nov 12, 2012.

1. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    True story: first time I ever went to see the Aeros, I got up to leave after the second half. I never knew there was a third period. There's no ice hockey in Mexico.

TX Bill, CeltTexan, El Naranja and 2 others repped this.
  2. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    It would surprise me if he covered hockey. St. Louis is a serious hockey town, the paper has people who actually know about hockey to cover the sport. The fans will be all over him if he's covering the Blues.

I'm perplexed at how good the Chronicle coverage of the Dynamo has been since he announced he was leaving. I always thought it was the fault of the editors, etc., and not his fault. Now I'm having to rethink that.

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  3. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Did you leave NFL games after the 2nd quarter too? ;)

4. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    We're not savages. We wore shoes and watched Monday Night Football. :barefoot:

Pretty much every sport excluding the winter/Nordic sports.

5. Beavis Stiffler

Beavis Stiffler Member+

May 14, 2011
    Naranja With Attitude. Straight Outta Houston.
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    *rey* repped this.
  6. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Philistine!!!

I can proudly say that since my arrival here in 1965 (minus 5 years in Vietnam) I've been to exactly one NFL game (that was cancelled because they didn't like the fact that the carpet in the Astrodome had tears in it), and I can probably count the number of times I've watched an NFL game on TV on my fingers and toes.

Basketball - still don't understand it - Baseball - the organ music is annoying

*rey* repped this.
  7. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Wait, you're saying NFL teams didn't want to play a game on turf because the quality was poor and the game had to be cancelled? What a bunch of pampered crybabies. I'm sure Westie was suitably indignant at the time and posted about it.

8. nbrooks503

nbrooks503 Previously Held @Dynamo Hostage From 2008-2019

Jun 1, 2008
    Disgruntled Former STH - Fairweather Bandwaggoner
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This was pre-internet - Houston Oilers. We sat around for an hour as various and sundry officials inspected the carpet. They finally cancelled the game. A few months later Houston told Bud Adams to FO and he packed up and moved to Tennessee.

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha! It was against San Diego in August 1995 I think. Bud was looking for a reason to move. I think the teams not players protested - because the guys trying to make the team actually needed that game to play.

The USWNT is a bunch of crying whiners - who seem to be racking up a pretty good criminal record as well. Surprised you still support them since they seem likely to kill the NWSL or other female careers rather than enhance it.

10. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On Basketball, it was invented by a Scot-Canadian up in Massachusetts in 1891. He took his favorite sport of association football and applied it to an indoor facility. When the ball goes out of bounds, the other team picks it up and throw it in with their hands. There are 10 field players in soccer, half that and basketball has 5 vs. 5. The spot kick is 12 yards from the goal. In basketball the free throw line is 12 feet from the goal. Any player can go anywhere and any player can score in both sports. Dribbling with the ball is essential in both sports. Two yellow cards and a player is ejected in soccer. Two technical fouls in basketball and a player is ejected. Center circle for kickoff is identical for tip off in basketball.

On Baseball, it comes directly from Cricket. So there is no sticks to aim for just a strike zone.
    One very cool thing to notice, both Cricket and Baseball have the very unique distinction of being the ONLY sports on Earth where the defense has the ball. Marinate on that one sports fans!

jvilla07 and Chesco United repped this.
  11. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Basketball is like soccer... do Mexican basketball players like to dive as well?

CeltTexan repped this.
  12. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TRIGGER WARNING!!!!!!

Hydro repped this.
  13. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been a big positive. No more Judas Ortiz covering the team, he's now in St. Louis repeating his history here of covering sports he knows nothing about but acts like an expert - what could go wrong?

Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can only laugh - from the same guy who thought over-40 beer league softball was more important than a US Open Cup game and now a meaningless friendly is vital. Does anyone here miss him?

15. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ortiz is less missed than a fart in an elevator.

7seven7, Borrachin and Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Jesus who? Oh, you mean the beat reporter who couldn't be bothered to provide consistently good coverage of the Dynamo and the Dash. The one where the new guy has produced more quality content in three months than he did in the last three years? No, don't miss him.

Dynamo_Forever repped this.
  17. ChrizG13

ChrizG13 Member+

Mar 1, 2010
    Humble
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This guy is freaking awesome.

Carli Lloyd Blocked him and he still has the balls to ask her stuff to her face.

What a difference from Ortiz! The only pet peeve is you have to be at least a digital subscriber to access
    some of the deeper stories but that isn't his fault, many platforms are like that now.

7seven7, Westside Cosmo and Heft repped this.
  18. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Yeah, he is. That takes a lot of guts. I'll openly admit I had no such guts. I know she was pissed specifically at me and complained to the team about me. Figure if I asked her a question, she'd probably punch me in the face.

ChrizG13, Westside Cosmo and Heft repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His questions weren't out of line. almost no media member who regular covers the USWNT would ask those questions.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Incredibly thin-skinned and small-minded for someone who allegedly is a leader (and now taking in corporate appearance money). She - or her agent - spends time blocking people on Twitter which seems a bit counterproductive.

She won't be here a day past October 10th or whenever she makes a final paid sponsor appearance at the NWSL Final.

ChrizG13 repped this.
  21. 7seven7

7seven7 Member+

May 5, 2008
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some body should have given her a trigger warning before asking questions. she has always come across as a red ass, and that doesn't really bother me too much. some people hate people. however, she does need to learn some professionalism and crawl down off the cross. she can do just as much harm as good for her fledgling, no one really cares about sport and she would do well to learn how to deal with her ouchy feelings; especially in public.

22. shoeless

shoeless Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Bye Felicia.

CeltTexan and Beavis Stiffler repped this.
  23. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She won't be here a day past the final game of the season on Sept 25th. Her first book signing appearance is Sept 26th in New Jersey.

24. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    She knew what the questions were likely to be before the interview started. She's been taking heat on this for over a week and she knows full well that Corey is one of the ones firing the most bullets.

25. Dynamo_Forever

Dynamo_Forever Member+

Aug 9, 2007
    Clear Lake, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dash's Carli Lloyd says absence 'none of anyone's business'

Heft repped this.