Dynamo Academy Sucks

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Soccergodlss, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CeltTexan, El Naranja and *rey* repped this.
  2. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those kids futures I'm ok with that.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    #228 juvechelsea, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    I assume there is some sort of workaround involved, eg, the family moves, but isn't some version of this already happening? SKC comes to mind.

At this point you'd get into serious issues. It's supposed to be actual training and team membership and not "dibs." This was the whole point to rules re how long you had to be in an academy, you know, how us and others used to just dibs Deric or Dixon at the end of Texans careers as Dynamo HGP. There were occasionally squabbles about who could dibs a player. Answer to that? You have to be a real team member for x years to be their HGP.

Then you get into the sort of problems FIFA's U18 rule is intended to address. It's a free country and I know there were kids whose parents would drive them 100s of miles across this state to get them into good select teams at the end of high school. But if you require practicing and playing for a period of time to claim a player, and Johnny decides it won't be the local team, can he pack off to Dallas? Austin if they get a team? LA? Vancouver? Can they go alone or does their family have to move? We don't actually have full academies, generally speaking, with the actual "academy" ie school, does Johnny have to go to school? Does the team have to pay? Or do Johnny and his family take the risk? For the elite player some of this sounds like complaining. But in reality you run a bunch of kids through an academy and then a few get the pro deals. The rest are maybe off to college, and many NCAA programs are sharing out less than an XI of scholarships, or maybe they are an 18 year old who spent their youth preparing to play a sport they didn't break into at the highest level. There is some risk and downside.

4. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kids can't join a team's academy for soccer reasons when crossing international borders. So no, a kid from Houston couldn't be poached by Vancouver. Now if the family moves for non-soccer reasons...

Theres nothing in the rules about Portland, Atlanta, etc poaching a kid.

5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Allegedly Palomino is shopping himself around in Europe and elsewhere.

Good for him, if true.

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/...den-servania-stars-concacaf-u-20-championship

Heft repped this.
  9. TX Bill

TX Bill Member+

Apr 3, 2006
    Sugar Land TX
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't been on in awhile but I stopped in to see if anything has changed. Nope, not really which is indicative of where the Dynamo have been and are over the past several years, top to bottom.

As far as the academy is concerned, it was very clear after awhile that the people in charge had absolutely zero ability to evaluate talent (where, who, etc...,) zero ability to attract talent, and zero ability to retain talent.

For me, it was just a good 'ole boys network that allowed unqualified people to collect a paycheck.

My hope is that will change over time as it won't happen overnight. The academy reputation in the Greater Houston soccer community is garbage and there is a lot of work to be done to earn trust of future prospective candidates. Let's hope for the sake of the organization's future, that the new folks in charge have definitive ideas on how to accomplish this.

palmeiras59 and Heft repped this.
  10. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    HD U12 Academy players competed in the club Tournament in Atlanta over the holidays . I thought I saw on social media that they lost in the 3rd place game to finish 4th - or maybe they just finished 3rd in their division. Not bad.

HD Total 12 goals scored looks decent compared to the other teams.

LA had 23 goals for!

We need to work on developing defenders now.
    upload_2018-11-26_16-7-10.png

11. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/u...sa-usmnt-weekly-youth-update-christian-cappis

Anyone heard of this kid and his story? FCD tried to sign a Katy kid, we intervened, he goes to Denmark a la Ibeagha.

Between him and the Servanias I wonder to what extent we have been jerked around by FCD on academy players. Conversely one wonders if rats are fleeing the ship as I understand Jaden Servania is the only one who has played here like he was supposed to.

Speaking of which, the Servanias are supposed to be decent, is Jaden on trajectory to play here, or not good enough?

12. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    FWIW with Clarkson being "promoted" to the Dash, that now takes him out of the development pyramid in complete favor of the new guy. I will be curious if we improve and/or if we have better luck on retention/acquisition.

13. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys previous post was with the Quakes. I'm skeptical.

CeltTexan repped this.
  14. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    What I am looking at:

(1) https://www.transfermarkt.com/christian-cappis/profil/spieler/544931
    b. Katy, Texas but I have never heard of him nor was he in our academy and yet he's a rare Houstonian in pro soccer right now, period.

(2) http://fcdl.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=1400355&player=32082800
    and yet
    https://www.houstondynamoacademy.com/roster_players/21711596?subseason=418577
    and yet
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Servania

Maybe they moved from one city to another but it's a little odd.

I'd heard of the Servanias because I am interested in dual nationals USMNT could field or switch and oddly one brother is US U20 and the other is PR U20, were on different teams in the same youth NT tournament.

15. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. DynamoManiac

DynamoManiac Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    On the first part, that would just be speculation. On the second part, I think results speak for themselves. Like I said before, if I had a promising kid I would not send him to the Dynamo. Maybe the new guy will change that, but FCD has a much larger coaching staff for the Academy and a track record for developing quality players. We don't.

*rey* repped this.
  17. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. naranjableeder

naranjableeder Member+

Houston Dynamo
    United States
    Jul 30, 2006
    In the Terraces
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dallas is developing MLS and Europe ready players right now.

19. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dallas up the road with a proven track record and a partnership with Bayern Munich isn’t something we can compete with. We’re also in direct competition with Texans SC and absorbed their rival Texas Rush into our organization.

This Paul Holocher guy actually seems to generate some respect (not saying he’s world class, but you actually hear people in the media occasionally acknowledge he’s competent unlike Clarkson) and they brought Tom Byer in after US Soccer scuttled the deal they had with him.

On the bright side we’re so awful that we don’t really have anywhere to go but up.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had forgotten we went the cheap route and allianced with a local club probably pissing off the others.

21. Varus

Varus Member

Feb 5, 2015
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  22. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quill often joins Glenn Davis on the KUBE57 do to color analyst for our Dynamo's home and road games on free TV. Like a fill in for Eddie when he is not in with Glenn. So one must figure Quill has some inkling of a relationship with Eddie, who was our former U-16's youth head coach, and with Glenn as our long time media guy for us in Houston. So to answer your question WC, Quill just must think so lowely of the track a prospect of his would have on a path to professional first team football that he just does not even contact our FO! Which has me so upset over this fact that I don't know if I want to be incredibly mad or just feel sick to my guts.

From that article: Quotes from that article with Quill on his thoughts on Richards. No mention of him contacting our Dynamo.

A week after that painful trip, Richards received a call from Houston Texans, another top academy team in Texas.

“Once Houston gave me the call and told me they’d be playing FC Dallas I thought this was easy, I have to go to Houston.”

Richards didn’t fly to Houston, he drove, knowing full well that another failed trial would mean a brutal ride home. That, along with the motivation to prove FC Dallas wrong, lit a fire in him that helped the youngster impress Texans coach and former MLS player Eric Quill.

“Right off the bat I could tell this kid’s got something really, really good,” Quill told Goal . “But he hadn’t grown into his body much. He was sort of gangly. The body type that I could see some people not thinking he could play.”

[​IMG]

At the same time saw a potential star in the making in Richards.

“His ability to see the field and break lines with his passing - he’s a high-level passer from the back - and he’s just an athletic freak," Quill said. "He can jump through the roof. He’s just a kid you could see a real high ceiling with.”

Richards lived up to Quill’s lofty assessment, developing into a standout defender and helping lead the Texans to an improbable national championship run. Along the way the Texans defeated the same FC Dallas team that passed on him as a player, providing sweet revenge for the young defender.

“Every team when they play Dallas in the [Development Academy] it’s like the World Cup for them,” Richards said. “I had extra motivation because of what happened in the summer. As soon as I got the schedule I circled FC Dallas.”

Richards and the Texans defeated FC Dallas in league play, marking the first time the Texans had ever beaten Dallas in the older age groups. They went on to win the national championship, the first for the club, but before that victory, Quill had already begun to think about what would truly be best for Richards.

He believed his star defender would be better served by making a move to FC Dallas the next season.

That led Quill to approach FC Dallas academy director Luchi Gonzalez with the selfless offer of sending Richards and midfielder Christian Cappis to FC Dallas.

“Them coming back to [the Texans] would have been fine, but if they were going to really go somewhere in the game then time was of the essence and I wanted them to move on,” Quill said. “I told FC Dallas, ‘I’ve got these two players who are going to be pros at the highest level. I think you guys should take a look at them.’”

When Quill first told Richards what he was planning to do the youngster thought he was joking, but once he realized his coach was serious, the teenager was faced with a tough decision. Would he leave the club that believed in him to join a bigger club that had rejected him just a year earlier?

Richards eventually decided to follow Quill’s advice, and FC Dallas was on board, having just watched him lead the Texans to a national title.

It didn’t take long for FC Dallas to realize that not only was Richards good enough for its academy, he was good enough for a first-team contract. The MLS outfit signed him to a homegrown player deal in April. At that point the only issue was finding him playing time.

Due to his limited time with the academy, MLS rules left Richards facing a year-long wait before he would be eligible to play with the first team. Luckily for Richards, FC Dallas had recently entered a player development partnership with Bayern Munich, and a deal was reached to have the center back play with German club's Under-19 team on loan. The deal also included an option for the German giant to buy Richards.

[​IMG]

DonJuego repped this.
  23. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Atlanta Utd did this same merger concept when they were still getting organized for the very first season as their FO merged with long standing local Georgia soccer club called Georgia United. Folded in all their head coaches and all their existing U-19 and U-16 boys teams. Thus they have no just two season later, a very solid core of Atlanta Utd youth talent coming up their pipeline of development. Carlos Bocanegra thought this one up probably.

Now, how our FO "handled" such a transaction up in the Woodlands with Rush and the others up North, well, one never knows how our FO conducted themselves.

Boy howdy, after reading that, it makes me wonder how and why our FO digs their own graves in a way with folks around town who love the sport of soccer. I mean this is a sport that still has to be grown and cultivated to most Americans. Americans that are sports fans and the like that still are newbies to soccer and yet our MLS team is pissing in the wind with Woodlands area soccer parents and their kids playing time on fields they pay for, we rent. Jebus!

24. *rey*

*rey* Member+

Feb 22, 2006
    Houston
    ...and for those who wonder why some of us thought Canetti needed to go. the general (mis)management of several business areas in the end fell within his scope of responsibility. it couldve been 4 things:

- he hired under qualified individuals
    - he refused to fire under performing individuals
    - he refused to hire competent individuals dare they threaten his hold on power of his direct report departments
    - all of the above

TX Bill, CeltTexan, AcetheTigah and 2 others repped this.
  25. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    OK just like Obama blaming Bush and Trump blaming things on Obama we need to move on. We have to focus our soccer related scrutiny on those with the reins - THE TRIAD:

Holocher
    Jordan
    Wilmer

I could throw Gerson in there for RGV too but I don't think there is much on his team he can actually develop which isn't his fault.

I am also going to exclude the owners for now because it should be up the Triad to identify and present the current Player / Player Acquisition / Player Development opportunities and convince the owners that the investment in time or money will be good value for the risk regardless of how high or low cost.

If we were to look at grade averages at t this time -
    Jordan has a borderline D grade (that's being generous)
    Wilmer has a C
    Holocher gets an Incomplete grade

The actions and performance of the triad should be tied together somewhat. I dumped my season tickets this year and will be waiting to see how all decisions made over the past year and course of the season will either deflect the trajectory of the club up or down. So let's reduce the bitching about Canetti and turn that energy into dissecting observations and reviews of performances by the triad and publicly hold them accountable.