Dynamo 2018 Preseason

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by newtex, Jan 23, 2018.

1. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    Sullivan was a pick like the others, it's odd he's a "trialist" and they are "draft picks." Not strictly accurate but probably an organizational comment on expected precariousness of status. I kind of wondered why only the first three picks were on the camp roster, and whether it hinted the last couple are basically perceived RGV fodder from before camp started. That Aguilar surprised them in that round but the rest are seen as projects.

Re that, not sure if I am a fan of blowing off picks you've never seen. I thought our defensive reserves sucked. I don't understand not at least nominally giving them an equal chance. Seems slightly smug to assume they must be worse than Garcia or Malki, coming off knee injuries to boot.

My theory is the people coming in fresh in the fourth quarter of this game, or late in the RGV game coming up, are basically in an intrateam scrimmage for RGV playing for RGV jobs. They may have our jersey on but for practical purposes it's a question of do they look better than last year's RGV players or not.

2. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Sullivan was listed as a draft pick on the roster given out at the Open Practice last Saturday and on the roster from the Dynamo website.

https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2018/01/23/dynamo-open-2018-preseason-34-players-camp

The only place I see him called a trialist is in the Chron article. Probably a mistake.

3. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    I'd swear some initial team missive had the last two defender picks as trialists. But maybe I'm conflating the team's release with the reporting of same. The article on the day lists the keeper selection but not the others. When I am running on all cylinders I try to read between the lines of such statements.

Kind of like, I think the full texts of the "you're now the #10" statements re Martinez sound to me ambivalent. "You're the guy, now earn it" places the concern right alongside the promotion. It basically means (to me) if he produces well he keeps the slot, if not, he either gets the Torres treatment or shifted to a supporting role.

I digress. I may be reading too much in or conflating official comment with reporting, but it comes across to me like the first three picks are ticketed for the roster (would have to play their way off) and the last two are trialists who are likely fighting for whether they are signed at all, go directly to RGV, or elect to make their own choices. I see support for that in the fact there is just one signed keeper, no target striker and a central striker sold, and a need for creative midfielders, but that the last two, while perhaps getting unfairly short attention on a team with some defending issues, would be redundant of at least 2 wingbacks per slot. Whether they should be seen that way is debating a counterfactual against where I see the team headed. So if they get reported as trialists, hmmmm. Maybe sloppy reporting or maybe attuned to reality. Like I said, I think they are headed to RGV in organizational forecasting, and the only question is whether they play along and play the odds of performance or injuries, or whether they elect to sign someplace they choose.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Dynamo at RGVFC tonight.

Starting lineup: Seitz; Remick, Leonardo, Machado, Malki; Ward, Bird; Wenger, Martinez, Alvarez; Steeves

The game tonight is three 30 minute periods.

Heft repped this.
  5. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    27' Dynamo goal. Wenger to Alvarez

RGVFC 0-1 Houston

6. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    End of the 1st period.

Lineup for the 2nd period: McLain; Bilyeu, K. Garcia, M. Williams, Padilla; Ward, Bird; Wenger, Aguilar, Palomino; Steeves

7. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    33' Dynamo goal. Aguilar to Bilyeu.

RGVFC 0-2 Houston

8. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    40' Dynamo goal. Steeves gets it.

RGVFC 0-3 Houston

9. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    55' Dynamo goal. Bird from Palomino

RGVFC 0-4 Houston

10. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    End of the 2nd period.

3rd period lineup: Nelson; Beasley, Senderos, Fuenmayor, K. Garcia; Alexander, Ceren; Rodriguez, Boniek, Elis; Manotas

11. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    70' Dynamo goal. Elis

77' Dynamo goal. Manotas

78' Dynamo goal. Rodriguez

81' Dynamo goal. Manotas

82' RGV goal.

RGV 1-8 Houston

86' Dynamo goal. Own goal off Beasley cross

RGV 1-9 Houston

12. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    RGVFC 1-9 Houston, final

Soccergodlss repped this.
  13. juvechelsea

juvechelsea Member+

Feb 15, 2006
    More like it. Fourth goal in the highlights is tidy.

I take this to be first and third period were first team. Steves remains with the first team as do Nelson, Malki, Bird, Ward, Memo, Garcia.

Not good for Williams if as a veteran he's sent out with the marginals. Second period if you didn't play in another period I'd be worried I am bubble.

14. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  15. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Updated 2/5/18:

https://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2018/01/12/houston-dynamo-announce-2018-preseason-schedule

2018 pre-season games and events:
    Times are CT

Preseason games at HEB Park in Edinburg, TX

Wednesday, January 31
    UT-RGV 0-2 Dynamo

Saturday, February 3
    RGVFC Toros 1-9 Dynamo

Monday, February 5
    Training camp returns to Houston

Preseason game at HSP in Houston

Saturday February 10
    Dynamo v. TBA

Preseason games in Tucson

Wednesday, February 14
    Portland vs. Houston 3:00 pm HoustonDynamo.com/live

Saturday, February 17
    Houston vs. NY Red Bulls 7:15 pm HoustonDynamo.com/live

Wednesday, February 21
    Houston vs. Phoenix Rising (USL) 6:00 pm HoustonDynamo.com/live

Saturday, February 24
    Phoenix Rising vs. 5th 3:00 pm
    3rd vs. 4th 6:00 pm
    1st vs. 2nd 8:00 pm

Regular season begins.

Saturday, March 3
    Dynamo v. Atlanta United 2:30 pm

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    According to the Dynamo twitter the preseason game on February 10 will be against HBU but it is closed to the public.

17. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The Saturday morning game apparently turned into an intra-squad scrimmage. I haven't seen any coverage or updates from the team.

The Dynamo head to Arizona this week.

18. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    The next preseason game in Tucson:

Wednesday, February 14
    Portland vs. Houston 3:00 pm CT HoustonDynamo.com/live

This is the first game against MLS opposition this preseason. The Dynamo went 2-0 so far this year in games against UT-RGV and RGVFC.

Portland played two games earlier in Tucson. They drew San Jose, 0-0, on January 31 and lost to Seattle, 2-1, on February 3. They spent the last week training in Portland. They next play FC Dallas on Saturday.

The Dynamo stay in Tucson to play the NY Red Bulls on Saturday.

Heft repped this.
  19. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
  20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    12' Houston goal by Alvarez

POR 0-1 HOU

21. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    34' Asprilla ties it up for Portland

POR 1-1 HOU

22. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    POR 1-1 HOU, halftime

23. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Second half lineup: Seitz; K. Garcia, Machado, Senderos, Beasley; Alexander, Cabezas, B. García; Elis, Manotas, Wenger

24. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    64' Red Card to Vytas of Portland.

Still 1-1.

25. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston