Review: Dynamo 2018 Attendance & Off-Field Performance Review

Discussion in 'Houston Dynamo' started by Westside Cosmo, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Hydro

Hydro Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Houstown
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hahahaha! I cant believe i actually read the crap you post westside!

Fb and reddit are full of negative comments. Now, those are really kneejerk reactions from folks who dream about Dynamo ever having an MLS Cup contender. Probably new fans.

The dynamo will bounce back and will win a few games in a row. Then the negative comments will stop and people will mistakenly believe that this is a sucessful organization. And then There will be another cycle of bad losses and ties. Good team-bad team-good team.

Those who have been with the Dynamo a long time probably have more realistic expectations and see the Dynamo for what is is: a cheap and poorly run franchise destined to be a midtable team forever.

Forever midtable.

2. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo unable to market its own players so trying to leverage the LA Galaxy game (Zlatan) into selling tickets for other games. I see the concept but pretty much this is a Batsignal that the team has zero ability and options to sell and market the Dynamo to Houston fans so they tie the LA game to others, apparently including a Honduras-El Salvador game!!!

We are the Tampa Bay Rays of MLS, packaging up and selling tickets to Yankees and Red Sox fans to fill the stadium.

Pathetic and utter capitulation

From reddit:

“R_Geaux

1h
    This may come across as rantish but if we're talking about fan dissatisfaction then I figured my situation could apply.

I contacted a ticket rep that I've bought from in the past about purchasing 4 tickets to the Galaxy match. I was told that all of the tickets the club had marked for individual sale had been sold and all of the remaining tickets were reserved for partial plans. I understood that it would be a game that people were interested in so no real big deal.

I told the rep about two other games that I'd be interested in going to but was told that I'd either have to purchase the 3 game plan that the club had already put together or had to purchase a minimum of 4 games to customize the package to the games that I wanted. I was also told that I could pick the 3 games that I wanted if I bought tickets to the Honduras-El Salvador match.

I guess I have a hard time understanding this sales strategy considering that no Dynamo game that I've been to over the last 3 years has had a full stadium.

The Galaxy match isn't sold out and what's the likely hood that all of the remaining tickets will be sold through packages? I'm guessing that won't happen.

Why force a customer to buy tickets to games that they don't want to attend or in my case can't attend because of other events? “

Heft repped this.
  3. Heft

Heft BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2011
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    This franchise is going the CUSA route

CeltTexan, *rey* and Westside Cosmo repped this.
  4. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t have a problem with the packaging certain tickets together – most teams do things like this and a lot of teams make you buy season tickets to get priority on playoff tickets. Astros do it.

But this is like “shit, we can’t move tickets based on our own squad, let’s Just squeeze as much as we can out of our own fan base selling Zlatan!”

I have not seen any marketing on this year’s team other than a few ads on the Kube during Seinfeld, Which is probably more from the Kube side. Nothing even online usually the google cookies force up some Dynamo ads on me.

We have approached the level of CUSA, the Fire, Colorado, FC Dallas, etc - teams with owners who aren’t investing in the product and experience. For years you could get away with it somewhat because 2/3rds of the league was like that. But the newer expansion teams and the big market squads now demonstrate the difference between their Major League Soccer and the Dynamo Minor League Baseball franchise.

CeltTexan and *rey* repped this.
  5. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see Reddit posts below which sort of implies all the fans complaining and not showing up creates a vicious circle downward - which all can be stopped by ownership investing in the product and experience.

To blame the fans for ownership and FO incompetence is absurd. I know of no other industry where in order to get a business to enhance its product you have to reward it by purchasing a substandard product

DYN33

6h
    Less fans=less money, less money=less funds for Jordan to use,less funds=worse team, worse team=less fans. Its viscous circle. Without big backing from ownership it takes the team to hit some lotto tickets. When other teams stink they get high draft picks to change their franchise. That doesn't happen in this sport which makes it tough. That said fans on here would still find something to complain about even if the team were 10-0 coming off a title. I'm sure the sun would hit their section at a terrible angle and it was someones fault.

6. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...we do get high draft picks. And more money than those above us in Garber bucks. If we fail

7. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The youth players I run into do not watch much pro soccer on TV. Still here in 2018 with how far the sport is easy to access on TV and internet. If they do it is the one off Real or UCL game. Which is what it is for sitting around an watching a screen for their footy fix. But what about actually going out with their teammates and watching live Dynamo games. If our FO could capture the younger fans, certainly the many area youths n teens that play the sport, then their becomes a type of generational love affair with our club. What is witnessed on the other local teams. You grow up in H-Town, your grow up loving your local teams with your buddies in the neighborhood and schools. If we cannot sell to our adults in our own town then focus on the youth. Start now and in 4 years they are 21 to 23 with a little bit of money in their pockets and a desire to get out on Saturday nights with their friends. Imagine capturing more of this market.

8. AcetheTigah

AcetheTigah Member+

Apr 6, 2005
    Woodlands, TX
    youth certainly won't buy 3 game packs of tickets instead of single games

9. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Dynamo announced attendance today of 17,105, which is about 77% of capacity. Its clear to me at this point the Dynamo aren't going to announce attendance at single game this year below 17k so their attendance stats look decent for sponsors.

While we all know those figures are not butts in seats and use liberal counting methods and there are no-shows, etc,, pictures like below with whole sections empty (and they were empty not just because of rain) make the bogus figures announced look silly. They've already resorted to not selling these sections to force fans to sit on the side opposite the TV cameras. And if you watch the games the producers never show shots that show many empty seats if they can avoid it.

Isles Road Warrior‏ @IslesRW
    Hot take: The MLS is boring.

[​IMG]
    12:44 PM - 21 Apr 2018

11. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. txsn

txsn Member+

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have been seeing this train wreck in progress for a number of years. The primary cause is all about short term vision, closely followed by pitiful execution and operations. There are several examples of their short term vision, but my example here is in their marketing.

The Dynamo always seem like selling tickets to their NEXT game was the END game. Overhype, mislead, never ending promos, apps, and ‘experiences’, and snake oil sales seems like the name of the game. Sacrifice a casual fan just to sell them ONE ticket to the next game, or a potential lifetime STH just to sell them one season. After a while the carnival gets old for everyone, that’s why they have to move on to a new city.

The next major problem is the Dynamo’s FO execution. This is primarily with the stadium, but also applies to their promos and experiences. Dynamo love to hype up a new app or process or experience, that seems not that well thought out. But then, instead of working it out, they dump it after no time at all and move on to another. This really gets old for fans to have no consistency.

Now to the stadium operations. These have been bad almost since day one, but for sure since BBVA year2. Every time I am in the stadium I can’t count the number of simple items indicating poor planning, zero foresight, or bad execution. The fact is most all of these have nothing to do with a cheap stadium, and others have no or little costs associated with them, while some even seem to be leaking revenue! I will save my bad ops examples for another time.

Anyhow, the slow degrade of the fan base is very dangerous in this time of MLS 3.0. That is because the fan base IS THE ATTRACTION. Remember that the ‘golden’ 18-35 demographic is now pack full of hip millennials that that are desperate to be a part of something ‘bigger’. You don’t need to be a millennial though to enjoy an Atlanta type experience; however, add that with the narcissistic selfie culture, where people are literally dying to be noticed, and you create a must-see, preferable must-be-at, event. These MLS 3.0 fan bases consider attendance, tifos, and atmosphere PART of THE COMPETITION. Literally, many folks in these massive MLS 3.0 fan bases check the opposing box scores as much for the attendance number as for the actual score! Why would millennials want to ‘play’ for a losing team? We are not that far away from having Seattle or LA or Atlanta watch parties at bars across Houston!!!

MLSNHTOWN, 7seven7, Soccergodlss and 4 others repped this.
  14. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo “announced” attendance for tonight’s LA game: 38,242

MLSNHTOWN and *rey* repped this.
  15. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL! 22,320, stadium capacity 22,039. I saw a lot of empty seats, not as many as usual, but empty seats. Made me sad that not even Zlatan could fill the stadium in Houston. IDK, maybe they were somewhere else in the stadium?

16. Soccergodlss

Soccergodlss Member+

Jun 21, 2004
    Houston
    Club:
    FC Kaiserslautern
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, I would have went to the game if I could have found a reasonably priced pair.

*rey* repped this.
  17. El Naranja

El Naranja Member+

Sep 5, 2006
    Alief
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were checking out all the cool, fair priced food options.

Westside Cosmo repped this.
  18. antnee7898

antnee7898 Member

Oct 19, 2007
    South Houston, TX
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know, i used to take my kids to the Rob all the time. I have 4 kids so i would need 5 tickets, so no. What ever happened to Sylvia Garcia's movie ticket prices

CeltTexan repped this.
  19. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flash seats had quite a few for sale and the prices went down quite a bit - and the sold prices were not really that bad - the closer it got to game day and people trying to sell tickets realized no one was paying $200 to sit in the upper deck for a regular season game.

20. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo "announced" attendance from Friday night - 18,123. Not a lot of still shots on the internet but clearly still huge gaps in empty seats, especially in certain sections on TV. Given that some tickets for this game were tied to the Zlatan game 3-pack the sold figure may make some sense. I would not be surprised if they gave a bunch away to Santa Fe-related groups.

A quick look at the amount of 200-level club seats available on the day of the game implies that less half of those seats are sold this year as season tickets. 40-60% of the sections' seats were available for single-game purchase.

Once again, I will postulate that the FO & ownership's perceived disregard for its ticket-buying customers over the last several years (especially 2016) has permanently damaged their revenue base. While there are other factors such as the Astros, Rockets, etc all of those competitors have existed since the Dynamo came to Houston and the Dynamo stadium location is equivalent to where MLS thinks that urban stadiums should be to maximize revenue.

If it was all about winning, attendance trends should be better, especially for this year. Even a lag from "success" (defined as making the playoffs) to actual impact on ticket sales should have shown up in 2018 ticket sales. Outside of Zlatan bump, I think attendance would be down year-over-year or flat. And in 2017 there were a lot of stacked games early which hurts single-game sales without 2 weeks' lead time to sell, 2018 in many ways is a much more favorable schedule to sell tickets from.

See the below exchange on twitter from one of our old posters and another fan - they still don't get it that this team lost a significant portion of its ticket-buying fanbase by poor customer service and marginal fan experiences. There is a point where if you run a business poorly, the quality of the product does not make a difference in buyers' preferences.

Web Tilton‏ @webtilton
    Replying to @TheKingBlair
    A lot of people were. But where are they now? This team is better and more fun to watch than that one was.
    7:04 AM - 28 May 2018
    Living off the Astros WS win for the next 20 yrs‏ @TheKingBlair 3h3 hours ag

Replying to @webtilton
      1. And there's more to do pre game and post game and the rail is completed.

21. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo "announced" attendance vs. Colorado: 16,058. That's about 73% of capacity which given the visuals from the game seems a tad absurd to claim 3 of every 4 seats were sold considering there were whole corner sections with minimal people in the seats.

Whenever I see these attendance figures just barely over a certain thousand mark (which just about every Dynamo game seems to have announced figures 150 or less over a thousand mark) it says to me they bumped the number to make the quick scan of the boxscore seem marginally better.

And I don't know what reason the Orange Kool-Aid Brigade will give for a lowish attendance and high no-show rate - its a Saturday night, there are very few competing events in town this weekend, it was actually not that hot. It stopped raining around town about 3:00 most places.

[​IMG]Empty Seats Galore‏ @EmptySeatsPics
    Announced crowd of 16,058 for #HOUvCOL. #MLS (https://bit.ly/2LDjzub + https://bit.ly/2t1eHHR + https://bit.ly/2MfPv95 )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    8:19 PM - 9 Jun 2018

22. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love when the Dynamo-nominated Fan of the Year tweets something expecting the FO to actually do something about it when it would require money and/or effort. Boy, that Sprint sponsorship really paying off (maybe Joe Holland could have given this guy some reviews of Sprint service!!)

@webtilton
    @BBVACompassStdm it would be great to upgrade the cell connectivity at the stadium. Sitting out the weather delay in the south concourse Sprint and Verizon didn’t work and WiFi dropped constantly, even when it connected it didn’t work. So no way to see @HoustonDynamo updates.
    12:24 PM · Jul 5, 2018

23. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dynamo announced attendance for tonight’s game vs. Minnesota: 13,947. Pretty sure that is the lowest attendance for an MLS regular season game at BBVA. It’s the lowest for a weekend game. I guess one of those rainout games played on a different day may have had a smaller crowd.

A real accomplishment for the FO!!! Set the low water mark for attendance in a year coming off of a Western final appearance!!!

24. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The responses in this twitter thread about the Houston attendance this week is funny. ALot of blaming the weather.

Do the Orange Kool-Aid drinkers on twitter fail to understand that the FO/Ownership’s cheapness and running off of a significant portion of the legacy fanbase have nothing to do with it?

The Dynamo have become mostly irrelevant in the Houston market. Just look at photos of the stands from Saturday night

http://mobile.twitter.com/SoccerInsider/status/1016178561252823045

25. Westside Cosmo

Westside Cosmo Member+

Oct 4, 2007
    H-Town
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States